Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie MOT and Service Advice

Carriage Return

Goodly members of the forum

A year has passed since I carefully sought out my ride - a beautiful 2018 Black CT200h

In that time I've done 7000 hassle free miles and not a peep from the car. It's been a great year. I think having a CATLOCK fitted in the first week of ownership made me sleep much better with her outside. 

Now, the time for MOT and servicing approaches. I've had a look on the forum for commentary around extended warranty and will consider that approach - but my question is a more prosaic one - should I get a combo service/MOT from the Lexus dealership or have the MOT done elsewhere? Any pitfalls or things I should look out for?

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, Carriage Return said:

should I get a combo service/MOT from the Lexus dealership or have the MOT done elsewhere?

I can't see any reason to take it elsewhere just for an MOT, only reason would be if you don't trust the dealership with the service.

• Like 1

My GS 300h (2018) went for its first MOT last year coupled with its 3rd Yr service and my dealer didn't charge me but that is probably due to the fact I had a service plan and extended warranty in place which I believe includes MOT as part of the deal.

24 minutes ago, Carriage Return said:

A year has passed since I carefully sought out my ride - a beautiful 2018 Black CT200h

In that time I've done 7000 hassle free miles and not a peep from the car. It's been a great year. I think having a CATLOCK fitted in the first week of ownership made me sleep much better with her outside. 

Now, the time for MOT and servicing approaches. I've had a look on the forum for commentary around extended warranty and will consider that approach - but my question is a more prosaic one - should I get a combo service/MOT from the Lexus dealership or have the MOT done elsewhere? Any pitfalls or things I should look out for?

Thanks!

Lexus for service, independent for mot, that way you have two opinions. Works for me.

10 hours ago, #Sandy# said:

Lexus for service, independent for mot, that way you have two opinions. Works for me.

That's a very interesting approach. I have no experience of the MOT places around me and cannot vouch for their quality or reliability. 

10 hours ago, #Sandy# said:

So either:

• You believe the vehicle may not be roadworthy following a Lexus service

or

• You believe Lexus may be recommending repair work that is not necessary to pass an MOT

I am unsighted on the quality or nature of Lexus servicing. Previously, I handed my vehicle to an independent garage (not a Lexus vehicle). The technician assessed the car for obvious issues, rectified them, then submitted the car to MOT (which, of course, it always passed). 

I would expect the same at least from Lexus, given the premium nature of the brand - however, I am relying on speculation as this is my first experience. 

The objective of the thread was to understand other people's experiences and approach and to learn from them. 

Lexus for service and hybrid Battery warranty.

MOT does not exist here it is called Inspección Técnica de Vehículos (ITV = same standard as TÜV) and can only be made by government ITV places. In 2006 Toyota could do it, but no longer.

If still allowed I do not trust Lexus for anything but the hybrid Battery warranty. Service there is only to keep the warranty.

I've generally had services at Lexus and MOT at the local Kwik Fit or Halfords local (5 mins away), but that's just as the timing of them has mostly differed and Lexus has always been further away for me.

Always seen the MOT as a bit of a box ticking exercise on a Lexus as never had one fail, so doesn't really matter who does it, but if it's going in, may as well get them to do both and save yourself another trip. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Carriage Return said:

I can’t help feeling this is a slightly odd question.  If I didn’t trust the Lexus dealer to do an MOT, I would have even greater concerns about their ability to do a Service.  In fact, I probably would not have bought my Lexus from them in the first place!

As it happens I have never had any concerns about Lexus Milton Keynes and co-ordinating the Service/MOT in one visit I regard as a much more sensible use of my time.

Indeed, on occasions when I have had other things to do, they come and collect the car from me.  As it happens, I have had a Service Plan with them since buying the car, so when it was all done a couple of weeks ago, it was only the MOT that I had to pay for.

• Like 2

I'd say go to Lexus for both MOT and Services based on own experience since having the CT from July 2019.

Any issues then you've one place to refer to for any recourse.

I have currently a 4 year service/MOT plan for less than £30 a month with Lexus Birmingham. I plan to renew this for another 4 or maybe 6 years as want to keep the car at least for ten years.

Never had any issues. I have faith in the reliability of the brand and the dealership.

• Like 1

Lexus CT is a beautiful car. I have been enjoying this since last year. I would highly recommend sticking with the dealership service and MOT. When you get an extended warranty, the next 3 years' MOT comes for free. The service is pricy, yes, but it will worth!

Enjoy the car!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, elmexicano said:

extended warranty, the next 3 years' MOT comes for free.

I think now with the Relax warranty being in place once the paid for warranty has expired/run out the MOT gratis also expires.

My last car (Honda) I always used the council M.O.T place but with this one it made sense (to me) to use a Lexus center as they include a Battery health check in the process and a wash & brush.

It was around £10 more but you also got to sit and have tea / coffee in a comfy seat and the car moved around by those who are used to them.

1 hour ago, VFR said:

My last car (Honda) I always used the council M.O.T place but with this one it made sense (to me) to use a Lexus center as they include a battery health check in the process and a wash & brush.

It was around £10 more but you also got to sit and have tea / coffee in a comfy seat and the car moved around by those who are used to them.

Not only that at my recent MOT they identified a possible problem with my a/c condenser which is being replaced under warranty next week. An observation outside of MOT regs. 👍

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Not only that at my recent MOT they identified a possible problem with my a/c condenser which is being replaced under warranty next week. An observation outside of MOT regs. 👍

A very pertinent observation Philip.  I do so little mileage that I have an annual service which is easy to combine with the MoT.  But you have identified why it makes such sense to have a Lexus dealer MoT a Lexus, even when a Service isn’t involved.

An independent MoT centre would probably not even go anywhere near the a/c condenser, so the potential problem would not be identified.  And as it’s a warranty job, it’s not simply an attempt to extract more cash from you, as some cynics might suggest!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

Excellent news Phil. Which warranty was that ?

55 minutes ago, LenT said:

A very pertinent observation Philip.  I do so little mileage that I have an annual service which is easy to combine with the MoT.  But you have identified why it makes such sense to have a Lexus dealer MoT a Lexus, even when a Service isn’t involved.

An independent MoT centre would probably not even go anywhere near the a/c condenser, so the potential problem would not be identified.  And as it’s a warranty job, it’s not simply an attempt to extract more cash from you, as some cynics might suggest!

Spot - on Len 😎

17 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Excellent news Phil. Which warranty was that ?

Extended, although I believe Relax would have covered it as it looks to be a straight forward component failure although to be fair I didn't notice anything untowards when driving. 

• Like 2

Lexus for MOTs and servicing .........  when I bought this car 11 years ago at 123k miles it had enjoyed both at Lexus Main Dealers ......  and consequent a huge brilliant folder of major servicing costs  ...  the owner doubtless had superb peace of mind too 

But for me subsequently it's never seen the light of day at a Main Dealer and my indy has relentlessly looked after her with taking it to one or other of his favoured MOT stations annually ...... with the annual service subsequently outside of the MOT stations orbit of influence

YES ....... over the years there have been a few GENUINE issues ( old age, fair wear and tear )  to be resolved with OEM parts from Amayama ..  and she still runs relatively well, I think,  after 27 years 

BUT I've never needed that Lexus Stamp in the Service Book tho'  :wink3:

Malc

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Carriage Return said:

Thank you for your input. I did not take out the extended warranty at the time of purchase. I am undecided on the RELAX plan. 

I would be very careful of any Lexus plans particularly ones with an MOT.

First

It is rare an MOT matches a serice milaeage which is often a problem leading to loss of MOT months (if tyat bothers you) or early unecessary servce.

Second

Lexus do not service their cars (look in your service book) .  It is a very expensive oil/filter change and box ticking excercise  for everything else.

Depending on how long you keep your car this lack of tender loving care tends to lead to some expensive repair/replacement cost eventually.

Suggestion

My suggestion would be to take your car to a professional for a quote for a proper old fashioned service.

Any professional VAT registered can stamp your service book.

Then compare and you will find you save money on servicing and your car will go longer before needing any repairs.

A properly serviced car will also be far more relaible.

Hybrid System

Don't be conned by 'major servce including the hybrid system.

The hybrid system is a very complex computer under the bonnet that has no service just a check. It is  just like a car's  CPU

Good luck with  whatever you decide.

Everyone is different and it is always your personal choice of what you think is best for you and your car

David

• Like 1

23 hours ago, David lings said:

I would be very careful of any Lexus plans particularly ones with an MOT.

First

It is rare an MOT matches a serice milaeage which is often a problem leading to loss of MOT months (if tyat bothers you) or early unecessary servce.

I may have completely misunderstood you, David, but this seems a very jaundiced view of a Dealership.  Or is it just Lexus dealers?

Firstly, I've always been able to match the MoT with a Service.  This is because the Service intervals are either 10K or 1 year.  As I have always done less than 10K in the Lexus, it's very easy to arrange both on an annual basis and thus co-ordinate them.  As it happens, the average UK mileage for 2020 was 6,533 - down from 7,559 in 2010.  On that basis, far from being rare, the average UK motorist would be having their cars serviced on an annual basis, not a mileage one.  So it could easily be co-ordinated with an MoT.

On 3/1/2022 at 4:12 PM, David lings said:

Lexus do not service their cars (look in your service book) .  It is a very expensive oil/filter change and box ticking excercise  for everything else.

I'm not quite sure how you are defining a Service.  By using the phrase 'box ticking exercise' I presume that you are suggesting that it is conducted in a perfunctory fashion.  On what basis do you make that allegation?  I've just had mine Serviced and the Report does indeed consist of many ticked boxes, with the occasional added comment.  But our Suzuki dealer used the same method .  It ensures that the Service is conducted in a methodical fashion, as per the Manufacturer's specifications.  Frankly, that seems to me to be more reassuring than, perhaps, an Independent who is untrained in that specific Marque and may therefor not be so disciplined.

In any case, if Lexus MK had been guilty of such behaviour, they would hardly have bothered to open the bonnet or put the car up on a ramp - both of which were confirmed by my dashcam!

I would also observe that a Lexus Dealer is obliged to use Lexus approved parts and fluids; an Independent isn't.  This is obviously one area where savings can be made.  These non-Lexus approved items may be perfectly satisfactory.  Or there may be good reasons why they are cheaper.  The problem is that these reasons may take many miles to make themselves apparent!

My suggestion would be to take your car to a professional for a quote for a proper old fashioned service.

Somewhat puzzled why you think a Lexus mechanic is not a 'professional'?  To become a Lexus Dealer - indeed to acquire any Dealership - requires a considerable financial investment in, for example, premises, branding, tooling, training, marketing and spares.  Now that may well mean that such overheads make such as Servicing more expensive than an Independent, who has no such investment in the Marque, can offer it at.  But then the mere fact that it has been such an investment means that the Dealer may be more committed to maintaining high standards in all aspects of Customer Service. 

It's all about Customer Retention  and it's not by chance that Lexus regularly tops the annual table for Customer Satisfaction. 

It may also account for the fact that last year Lexus topped (again) the MoT Pass Rate for cars up to five years old with 94.1%.

Then compare and you will find you save money on servicing and your car will go longer before needing any repairs.

Yes, you may well save money.  But what evidence do you have that saving money this way will give you a longer period of repair free motoring?

Good luck with  whatever you decide.

Everyone is different and it is always your personal choice of what you think is best for you and your car

Absolutely agree with this.  And as a car gets older - and loses market value - so owners may choose a cheaper Servicing regime.  Or maybe not bother to Service it all!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links