Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm looking at getting my first Lexus after my wife getting a CT200h.  Currently have a 2010 civic type r and it's just so uncomfortable and not good on fuel, struggle to get 30mpg.  I know they're not made for that but I must just be getting old and not needing a car like this.

I've been looking at the GS and love the idea of the 450h, would love a Mk4 but out my price range but I could stretch to a 250 mk4.  I know the 250 will be similar on fuel as the civic but I can't decide between the that or the 450h mk3.  Any advice/opinions?

I have the Mark 4 250 and its a big stepup on interior and tech from the 3 - the engine is a bit thirsty if you drive it hard

No complaints but it is a very long sedan (urban parking) - great on the highway

I have ones both shapes. Unless you really need the speed of the 450 I would definitely go for mk 4 250:

really classy interior especially with 12 inch screen, wider track so better more planted ride, even more refined and quieter, better seats and comfort, performance fine and you still get a nice smooth v6. 

Tough decision...

The 250 will be thirstier but more practical has a more reliable engine/transmission combo, probably less to go wrong overall and you'll be getting better/more modern tech, 

The 450 is faster (much faster!) It's definitely not a sports car but coming from a Type R you'll appreciate the way this thing moves when you stamp your foot. Downsides? looks dated inside, with outdated tech, hybrid Battery might be a weak point later down the line along with the CVT gearbox. The boot is tiny as the Battery takes up most of the space. 

The sensible option would be the 250 especially if it's going to be used for family duties. You'd be getting something that looks feels and drives like a brand new car.

I'd be very (very) tempted by the 450h but only if I had the budget to buy a well cared for one. 2010 or later, serviced by Lexus as they do a hybrid Battery health check with every service which extends the warranty on the Battery for another year or 10k miles. (until the car is 15 years old)

I've not checked the MOT history but this one seems like great example of a 450h i'd be looking for... (have a look) 

Great problem to have though and cant really go wrong either way. Good luck, let us know what you decide. 😃

Looks lovely but remember that even with low miles it may still need a new exhaust, possibly radiator and make sure tyres are not 16 years old. Engine is pretty low stress unit so bigger miles not a problem. And remember with this hybrid Battery you are on your own as it is more than 15 years old. If you go for it I would keep £5000 in reserve just in case. Most likely it will be fine and you will never need to dip in. NOT a 16 year old budget banger.

You can have my 2009 with 110k miles for 6 grand.

• Like 2

If I had to make this choice I would go for the mk4 250. 5 years from now the mk4 will still look good inside and the mk3 is already looking dated (the design is around 20 year old after all!). The drivetrain is also much simpler and proven which hopefully means much less expensive to keep going.

If I was only looking at mk3 450h, then I will try to go for something around 2010 (or newer) because Lexus will still do a hybrid Battery warranty until the car is 15 year old. £11,500 for 2006 is too much imo. You can get 2011 for the same price and will have 4 years of Battery warranty (if you wish).

I was looking for 450h mk3 myself but the boot size is so small that makes is completely impractical for me.

GS250 is fine for the vast majority of situations. What would I have gained had I gone for the GS450h? Probably another 3-6 penalty points at least!

As with most large bodied but smallish V6 powered cars, it can be a little thirsty considering its no rocket ship. However...that engine is utterly tried and tested and you'll do well to break it in any way or form. 

On 3/7/2022 at 1:56 AM, eleveneleven said:

The 250 will be thirstier but more practical has a more reliable engine/transmission combo, probably less to go wrong overall and you'll be getting better/more modern tech, 

On 3/7/2022 at 1:56 AM, eleveneleven said:

Downsides? looks dated inside, with outdated tech, hybrid battery might be a weak point later down the line along with the CVT gearbox.

The 2GR-FSE/FXE is basically the 4GR-FSE with port injectors and without the intake tumble flap.
The CVT transmission is as stout as it gets. Oil pump bearings (auxiliary), once in a lifetime if required.
The Battery MIGHT be a weakpoint but you've got at least one great independent option in the UK.

The MK3 has inverter issues (potential and very easily avoided if you know what you're doing - read up). The MK4 has pretty much the Battery and the ABS pump as potential big ticket failures. As far as luxury sedans go - very good, especially the 4th gen. Cheap? Not a Corolla, no.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links