Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I searched the forum but nothing came up. Any of you had no low oil pressure after a filter change? 2ad fhv engine, didn't prime the filter because it's a side-loading cartridge. Are the oil pumps prone to fail at all?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2022 at 8:02 PM, Ben774 said:

I searched the forum but nothing came up. Any of you had no low oil pressure after a filter change? 2ad fhv engine, didn't prime the filter because it's a side-loading cartridge. Are the oil pumps prone to fail at all?

I did have my IS250 with Lexus nottingham and they advised me to top up my oil by 0.5L, 2nd gen IS’s are known to go through oil so they need oil top ups from time to mine so may be worth checking if that’s needing to be done. 
that being said I slammed my brakes quite hard yesterday (bedding new brake pads) and I noticed the low oil pressure sign came up for a moment so don’t know if that’s relevant. 

1 hour ago, McShmoopy said:

I did have my IS250 with Lexus nottingham and they advised me to top up my oil by 0.5L, 2nd gen IS’s are known to go through oil so they need oil top ups from time to mine so may be worth checking if that’s needing to be done. 
that being said I slammed my brakes quite hard yesterday (bedding new brake pads) and I noticed the low oil pressure sign came up for a moment so don’t know if that’s relevant. 

2AD-FHV is diesel (IS220d), as well oil burning is not the same as lack of pressure, besides IS250 is about average compared to other cars, nor really worse. @Ben774 - not heard of pump failure being common issue, however Lexus diesels are prone to all sorts of issues, head gaskets etc. so if engine has issues in the past, like head gasket and oil was mixed with coolant, then engine was fixed, I would not be surprised if that affected reliability of oil pump. Why do you think there is no oil pressure? Could it be a sensor which is faulty? 

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

2AD-FHV is diesel (IS220d), as well oil burning is not the same as lack of pressure, besides IS250 is about average compared to other cars, nor really worse. @Ben774 - not heard of pump failure being common issue, however Lexus diesels are prone to all sorts of issues, head gaskets etc. so if engine has issues in the past, like head gasket and oil was mixed with coolant, then engine was fixed, I would not be surprised if that affected reliability of oil pump. Why do you think there is no oil pressure? Could it be a sensor which is faulty? 

No, know all too well about the head gasket thing. Stepson bought it and we did the head gasket. He also got what is apparently the only 220 that had a missing oil channel in one of the cam carriers but since it'd come off the car it went back on, would have been nice if it could've done nother 100k. He drove it to MOT, went to go get two tyres to pass and then broke down 100 yards away from the MOT center with the exhaust cam apparently seizing, melting the carrier and splitting the camshaft. Rebuilt it with a new head but it'd been laid up for months im between with him being ill. Got no pressure as in the pump isn't sucking up and forcing oil to the filter and round the engine

I remember this case now. Did you get anything from Lexus considering their head was clearly defective? 

As for the problem now - sorry to say it, but you have car with "known bad engine", so all bets are off... could it be failed oil pump, yes... at this point it could be literally anything. When camshaft was split it could have easily shot metal pieces all over the engine and seized or damaged oil pump. I mean that is speculation, but again with known history of this engine it could be anything.

If I were you I would look for used engine rather than trying to fix this one, it needs full rebuild and very careful inspection of every part, just can't see it being financially viable to fix it (the engine itself), when used ones starts at just £300 and rebuilding would require engine out anyway. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links