Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bluetooth Music Streaming

Wardair

I have just added Bluetooth music streaming capability to my car and thought I should share the info as others may wish to do the same. My car already had Bluetooth Phone capability so I only needed to add audio streaming but the same company does a dual module that adds Bluetooth phone as well as music streaming if that is needed.

First I purchased a Y cable that intercepts the signals from the radio to the amplifier. (There are many videos showing how to remove the radio to add the cable). Unfortunately the first cable I purchased didn't fit as it was for the earlier radios with three connectors at the back. My 2007 SC430 has the radio with only two connectors. It has the 20 pin connector P3933 radio but I understand the Bluetooth module should work with the other radios you just need to use a different Y cable.

Once installed you press the CD button twice and the radio switches to the Bluetooth module and the radio indicator on the left shows CDI. Pressing the CD button again switches the radio back to the standard CD player which works as normal.

You search and pair your phone to BlueMusic and then any audio from the phone (other than phone calls) are played via the module. I use Spotify and the radio controls also switch the tracks. I also use Google Maps for Satnav and the instructions are played through the radio perfectly.

It took me a while to find the right bits but the end result is great and sound quality superb.  Both parts were bought on eBay and came from Germany (see links below).

Bluetooth Module https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254491526428

20 pin Y cable https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202495696446

Btw - I have two Y cables going cheap a 5+7 (for the three connector radios and a 6+6 (TOY2) which is for some other cars/radios.

Any questions just ask.

Martin

BlueMusic.jpg

20pinY.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Wardair said:

I have just added Bluetooth music streaming capability to my car and thought I should share the info as others may wish to do the same. My car already had Bluetooth Phone capability so I only needed to add audio streaming but the same company does a dual module that adds Bluetooth phone as well as music streaming if that is needed.

First I purchased a Y cable that intercepts the signals from the radio to the amplifier. (There are many videos showing how to remove the radio to add the cable). Unfortunately the first cable I purchased didn't fit as it was for the earlier radios with three connectors at the back. My 2007 SC430 has the radio with only two connectors. It has the 20 pin connector P3933 radio but I understand the Bluetooth module should work with the other radios you just need to use a different Y cable.

Once installed you press the CD button twice and the radio switches to the Bluetooth module and the radio indicator on the left shows CDI. Pressing the CD button again switches the radio back to the standard CD player which works as normal.

You search and pair your phone to BlueMusic and then any audio from the phone (other than phone calls) are played via the module. I use Spotify and the radio controls also switch the tracks. I also use Google Maps for Satnav and the instructions are played through the radio perfectly.

It took me a while to find the right bits but the end result is great and sound quality superb.  Both parts were bought on eBay and came from Germany (see links below).

Bluetooth Module https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254491526428

20 pin Y cable https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202495696446

Btw - I have two Y cables going cheap a 5+7 (for the three connector radios and a 6+6 (TOY2) which is for some other cars/radios.

Any questions just ask.

Martin

BlueMusic.jpg

20pinY.jpg

Sorry I should have said DISC button but I guess most knew what I meant. Here is a picture showing the CDI symbol on the radio when the DISC button is pressed twice.IMG_20220501_095000614.thumb.jpg.d877c0058c56a8e2294143addedef2d5.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wardair said:

Sorry I should have said DISC button but I guess most knew what I meant. Here is a picture showing the CDI symbol on the radio when the DISC button is pressed twice.IMG_20220501_095000614.thumb.jpg.d877c0058c56a8e2294143addedef2d5.jpg

Does this only work on the facelift model?

I have a 2004 pre facelift and recently contacted Grom about their Bluetooth kits as their advert said from 2005 > only.

They asked for a pic of the rear plugs on my radio, so I sent one and they said the Y cables would work, so I ordered the kit. their instructions say to press the Disc button twice to display CD1

Nothing changed, so wouldn’t work on my 2004 radio.

Are the pin layouts in the plugs or radio different between pre facelift and facelift?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russ59 said:

Does this only work on the facelift model?

I have a 2004 pre facelift and recently contacted Grom about their Bluetooth kits as their advert said from 2005 > only.

They asked for a pic of the rear plugs on my radio, so I sent one and they said the Y cables would work, so I ordered the kit. their instructions say to press the Disc button twice to display CD1

Nothing changed, so wouldn’t work on my 2004 radio.

Are the pin layouts in the plugs or radio different between pre facelift and facelift?

Hi Russ,

I messaged the German supplier about their module and was assured it worked with the SC430 radios. It came with a 5+7 connector which is for the 3 plug radio hence I needed to buy a 20 pin Y cable. I bought another module before finding this one and it did not work properly. I think it may be the way the module emulates a second CD unit. This one works fine with my radio but you may want to message the supplier with your radio info. They do have a 30 day return policy but you will need to send it back to Germany.

I know this has been a problem for many in the past with some solutions needing a blank CD and others costing well over £100, so I was over the moon when the module I got worked exactly as I wanted.

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wardair said:

Hi Russ,

I messaged the German supplier about their module and was assured it worked with the SC430 radios. It came with a 5+7 connector which is for the 3 plug radio hence I needed to buy a 20 pin Y cable. I bought another module before finding this one and it did not work properly. I think it may be the way the module emulates a second CD unit. This one works fine with my radio but you may want to message the supplier with your radio info. They do have a 30 day return policy but you will need to send it back to Germany.

I know this has been a problem for many in the past with some solutions needing a blank CD and others costing well over £100, so I was over the moon when the module I got worked exactly as I wanted.

Regards

Martin

Hi Martin

Thanks for that, I might contact them sometime, but in the meantime I’m making do with my FM transmitter plugged into the fag lighter socket.

It gives me what I need at the moment.

• Like 1

Hi Russ

My hopes and confidence have been raised by work Martin has done!

I have ordered the leads he indicated from eBay and I will fit them on arrival.

When fitted I will message my findings to everyone and will meet anyone local like you if you want to see it working.

Anthony 

• Like 1

Thanks Martin, it works brilliant on the few different music sites on my phone.

Anybody could do it out there, just watch the utube videos and take it stage by stage..

20220507_192122.thumb.jpg.6f567122151bb54875a91ca0ee509e86.jpg

Hi Ant. Well that's a great result for little cost, I was expecting you to say it's worse but so much more convenient. I have Bluetooth streaming capability via the Alpine HU and it's terrible. I can flip between the 2 sources using the same track (CD/DVD vs iphone/ipad) and the difference is like night and day with so much of the audio frequencies missing and the music distorting over Bluetooth.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Neil E said:

Hi Ant. Well that's a great result for little cost, I was expecting you to say it's worse but so much more convenient. I have bluetooth streaming capability via the Alpine HU and it's terrible. I can flip between the 2 sources using the same track (CD/DVD vs iphone/ipad) and the difference is like night and day with so much of the audio frequencies missing and the music distorting over bluetooth.   

Perhaps I should do a more thorough test but I wonder what Martins thoughts are on quality differences!

Ant

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lexiguy said:

Perhaps I should do a more thorough test but I wonder what Martins thoughts are on quality differences!

Ant

No worries Ant, the important thing is that you're pleased with the solution, it does what you want it to do and the quality is good enough, that's what matters.

I'm interested because I'm a bit 'fussy' (understatement) about car audio and to be honest, these days it's mostly misplaced as I spend too long listening to radio 2 or test match special for SQ to matter but when I do play good, well recorded, music I like to fully enjoy it, despite the age of my ears.

The original ML audio in the SC430 is really quite well engineered for a standard set up but of course it is dependent on a good source signal.  

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 7:31 PM, Lexiguy said:

Ant

Hi Ant, sorry I have been off the forum for a while hence no response to your posts/questions.

Great that you got your module working OK as I was a little worried you may not have had the same P3933 head unit as me. And yes you do not need the 5+7 pin lead supplied with the module but this direct connect might be required for some other radio head units or for cars without Navigation (did any SC's not have satnav?).

Regarding sound quality. The Mark Levinson system in the SC is one of the best audio systems I have ever heard in a car and I can confirm the streaming audio quality I get is excellent and sounds just as good to me as a CD. An alternative module I tried was very poor quality and degraded the CD audio as well.

I do not have the technical info on the Bluetooth module supplied from Germany (it is shrink wrapped so cannot inspect it without cutting the cover off) or my phones Bluetooth audio streaming technical capability, so I  cannot confirm the data bit rate or audio Codec used, but as I said above I cannot detect any degradation in quality and the convenience and access to audio from a wide range of sources  is a major plus.

I hope others can test the Bluetooth module with some of the other head units as this may be a good solution for all SC owners.

Martin

p.s. still working on the auto mirror fold - M

Thanks Martin

It all worked out in the end, well except the radio cover switch.

Oh and my aerial goes up even when not tuned to radio, I don't know what's causing that.

I believe all UK spec SC's had Sat Nav as standard but I have heard of foreign imports without but I'm sure Neil will correct me if I wrong.

Thanks for your work on these topics it is greatly appreciated.

Ant

On 5/8/2022 at 12:15 PM, Neil E said:

Hi Ant. Well that's a great result for little cost, I was expecting you to say it's worse but so much more convenient. I have bluetooth streaming capability via the Alpine HU and it's terrible. I can flip between the 2 sources using the same track (CD/DVD vs iphone/ipad) and the difference is like night and day with so much of the audio frequencies missing and the music distorting over bluetooth.   

Hi Neil, I think the reason the simple German Bluetooth module works so well is that it has an integrated amplifier, many other solutions use a Bluetooth dongle and some dongles are very poor quality, I know I have a drawer full of them!

Bluetooth (which was never designed for audio streaming) has come a long way over the past few years and with some Codecs the quality can be 'similar' to CD, The aptX compression standard already promises CD quality audio, of course is not the same as CD technically but Spotify (which I use) have used Ogg Vorbis compression and can get great quality audio to the phone and after that it is down to the link to the module or into the car via an aux in.

This text is from the Module supplier:-

Developed in Germany Integrated amplifier for optimal audio enjoyment Supports up to Bluetooth 5.0 for low power consumption Integrated antenna for stable connection throughout the vehicle Installation: Minimum installation effort The adapter is connected invisibly to the back of the radio No additional wiring required for the power supply The radio automatically recognizes it as a CD changer, no aux input needs to be activated.'

Kind regards

Martin

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wardair said:

Hi Neil, I think the reason the simple German Bluetooth module works so well is that it has an integrated amplifier, many other solutions use a Bluetooth dongle and some dongles are very poor quality, I know I have a drawer full of them!

Bluetooth (which was never designed for audio streaming) has come a long way over the past few years and with some Codecs the quality can be 'similar' to CD, The aptX compression standard already promises CD quality audio, of course is not the same as CD technically but Spotify (which I use) have used Ogg Vorbis compression and can get great quality audio to the phone and after that it is down to the link to the module or into the car via an aux in.

This text is from the Module supplier:-

Developed in Germany Integrated amplifier for optimal audio enjoyment Supports up to Bluetooth 5.0 for low power consumption Integrated antenna for stable connection throughout the vehicle Installation: Minimum installation effort The adapter is connected invisibly to the back of the radio No additional wiring required for the power supply The radio automatically recognizes it as a CD changer, no aux input needs to be activated.'

Kind regards

Martin

Music quality

Spotify free

Spotify Premium

Web player

AAC 128kbit/s

AAC 256kbit/s

Desktop, mobile, and tablet

Automatic: Dependent on your network connection

Low: Equivalent to approximately 24kbit/s

Normal: Equivalent to approximately 96kbit/s

High: Equivalent to approximately 160kbit/s

Automatic: Dependent on your network connection

Low: Equivalent to approximately 24kbit/s

Normal: Equivalent to approximately 96kbit/s

High: Equivalent to approximately 160kbit/s

Very high: Equivalent to approximately 320kbit/s

• Like 1

Thanks Martin, very interesting. I've been too busy working and travelling for any 'car play' recently but might get time on the weekend to catch up with Techstream and some audio testing. 

• Like 1

Hi guys

Today I have recieved in the post a lower console in the light wood which included an radio flap button switch.

20220516_171151.thumb.jpg.e6315ceb5994e0993ef255b35ceaac4f.jpg

I fitted the switch and it works great!

20220516_164453.thumb.jpg.dd156db1e664a17e551768f9dea7896e.jpg

I'm chuffed to bits now that Bluetooth is working great and so is all switches now!

If anyone is interested in the light would dash then make me an offer!

Anthony

• 4 weeks later...

I have now lost my CD1 channel, volume control on steering wheel, all sound from the radio, sat nav flap or unit not opening....what has happened, what have I done and is it all linked? 

Ant

On 6/14/2022 at 8:18 PM, Neil E said:

Probably all linked to a poor connection. 'all sound from the radio' is that the same as no sound at all?

Yes no sound at all but radio Visually looks like it is all working fine

All of the sound comes from the amplifier which relies on the head unit for audio signal and a trigger signal to turn it on. If you try to adjust volume, balance, fade, etc you may find it doesn't register because the head unit and the amp are not 'talking to each other.'

Hopefully that's something very simple that lost connection when the cables were put back in and around the head unit. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links