Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Advised by Lexus dealer that head gaskets are not replaceable!

I bought a lovely IS220D Sport in February in Spain to return to the UK with.  A month ago I had VSC Check warning lights showing, my local trusted (non-Lexus) garage could find a fault but suspected it was an ERG problem: it was very heavily blocked and took a long time to clean out.     Immediate improvement in performance so had the engine de-carbonised - this time even better performance.   700 kms later the same VSC check warning lights came on followed by total loss of power.  Breakdown truck got it going again and managed to return to the UK.  Lexus found no faults showing on the system as the roadside mechanic had cleared them all.  10 day later same VSC warning appeared, back to Lexus who diagnosed one faulty fuel injector.  But they also said it needs a new head gasket (which Lexus do not do, they replace the engine) as there was pressure in the coolant system.  There are no signs in the oil of water ingress.       

The vehicle is in superb condition inside and out and has done 134500K miles and drives beautifully. 

In talking to various garages in the Cambridge area the skill shortage is apparent (Thanks to Brexit) and garages cannot take on work or one said "Not until late June".   

I am looking at various choices:   a) Put leak sealer into the coolant and get new injector;  B) new head gasket & injector;  or C) a reconditioned engine... 

I am interested to hear of possible and recommended garages to fix these issues

Hi Tim and welcome to the LOC.

Although there are many happy Lexus diesel owners many of whom have never had engine problems they appear to be the least reliable when it comes to the engine.

Many had replacement engines fitted under warranty ( I think the warranty was also extended such were the problems)

Clogged EGR valves, Head gasket failures and blown turbos ( search the forums for the horror stories).

Personally I would avoid sealant, diesel compression ratios would soon blow that out, the apparent HG problem was caused by the gasket sliding out of position.

I doubt if a replacement gasket would be the end of your problems.

Finding a recon engine may prove difficult as no one wants to get involved in them but I believe the same engine is fitted in some Toyota models (D4D?)

I do wonder why the car was sold.........

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I do wonder why the car was sold.........

That's what you get when you desperately try to make something appeal to the European buyers obsessed with MPGs.. and that's the only reason anybody drives a diesel.. mpgs.. Ironically, the IS250 is very similar to the diesel in terms of MPGs, so if anybody is buying the 220d at this point - it's not worth it, walk away regardless of how good the condition seems. The trouble will arise. 

• Like 2

Welcome Tim,

Unfortunately, head gasket failure is not unknown on that engine (although my old IS220d is still going strong at over 170k miles!).

Anyway, the original problem that the engines suffered from originally was that the head warped hence the gasket no longer being able to seal properly.  I think it was some sort of manufacturing flaw at the factory.

The dealers would not take on this kind of tasks since they don't really employ mechanics anymore but rather technicians that just replace parts rather than trying repairs 🙄

I am lead to believe that the head can be skimmed though to make it straight again, and with a new gasket, should work properly.

As for a decent garage around your way, sorry, I can't help with that I'm afraid ☹️

• Like 1

Thank you!  I m

now looking at getting a reconditioned or rebuild of my engine- had two quotes of just over £2000 including recovery.. not including a new injector which Lexus says it needs. Getting a new head gasket done is around £1800 possibly more, but due to the (predictable) consequences of Brexit all the garages  I have spoken to cannot look at it due to staff shortages, one said he is taking bookings after 20th June!  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links