Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone here know who Wayne Rainey is?

Mr Vlad

Why am I asking this you might wonder. Those of us who do know who he is will know he was one of the very best 500cc moto gp riders ever. That accident he had which paralysed him from chest down shocked all us fans massively. That was about 30 years ago.

Why am I posting this now. Well this afternoon I watched a recording of the Goodwood festival. There was a section about the awesome Yamaha 500cc race bike but what was to follow left me dumbstruck. I saw on my TV Wayne Rainey ride one of his old Yamaha 500cc two stroke monsters up the Goodwood hill followed by King Kenny Roberts. I'm totally gobsmacked and oh so in awe by what I witnessed. To see him ride again was awesome. That man is super human and have so much will power and guts as to ride a motorbike whilst being paralysed is just mind blowing. I still can't get over it a few hours later but my god if he can do that then there's got to be more than hope for other paralysed people. 

I just had to post this. I'm sure there's a few on here who remember Wayne Rainey but didn't know about him riding a bike at Goodwood. Thanks for reading. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Why am I asking this you might wonder. Those of us who do know who he is will know he was one of the very best 500cc moto gp riders ever. That accident he had which paralysed him from chest down shocked all us fans massively. That was about 30 years ago.

Why am I posting this now. Well this afternoon I watched a recording of the Goodwood festival. There was a section about the awesome Yamaha 500cc race bike but what was to follow left me dumbstruck. I saw on my TV Wayne Rainey ride one of his old Yamaha 500cc two stroke monsters up the Goodwood hill followed by King Kenny Roberts. I'm totally gobsmacked and oh so in awe by what I witnessed. To see him ride again was awesome. That man is super human and have so much will power and guts as to ride a motorbike whilst being paralysed is just mind blowing. I still can't get over it a few hours later but my god if he can do that then there's got to be more than hope for other paralysed people. 

I just had to post this. I'm sure there's a few on here who remember Wayne Rainey but didn't know about him riding a bike at Goodwood. Thanks for reading. 

No Vladimir, I didn’t really know about Wayne Rainey - but thanks to you I do now.  And I’m grateful to you for that!

I found this article which explains a little about his Goodwood ride.

https://www.justbikes.com.au/news-and-reviews/rainey-to-ride-yzr500-again/930040%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR3F3Zjpq2QBOvIqJ3En7Pl8c3Yj3BpxyS8UlHWdRo0ifhsT4L6tpCzYrPo

He is yet another inspiring example of the human ability to overcome the most crippling of injuries and live on to enjoy a different - but fulfilling - quality of life.  It is certain that in so doing he has helped others in similar predicaments and transformed their lives too.

It is ironic that he broke his spine on a track feature designed to make car racing safer.  But when I watch bike racing on TV, and see how a bike cranked over round a corner is depending on a few centimetres of tyre wall to stay on the track, it seems to defy normal laws of physics - especially in the wet!

Clearly, people who do that for a living have a different attitude to risk than most of us.  Every time they get on a bike, they seem to accept that they’re on their way to their next accident.

I did once have the pleasure of meeting Barry Sheene while I was writing ads for Castrol.  A really charming and thoughtful guy, he detailed the many bones he had broken and all the metalwork that was holding them together.  No wonder he was keen to get into car racing - which he finally did.  Although of course it was heavy smoking that eventually LED to the cancer that killed him at 52.

• Like 1

I sure know who he is Vlad, the Americans were all concurring in those days. Kevin Schwanz was my favorite but Mick Doohan and later John Kocinsky were also part of the US club. Sweet memories.  Btw the 1990 twinstrokes delivered some 150 hp and were incredibly spectacular with an insane sound. The current fourstrokes are developing close to 280 hp!

• Like 1

No b4u2. Excellently put Len 👍. Thanks for putting up the YouTube video VFR 👍. I've just watched that again and still it brought a tear to my eye. You know what Bernard I really still love moto gp and follow it but my heart is still in the 80's 90's and those bonkers 2 strokes. 

• Like 1

I heard of him and saw him on the Goodwood programme yesterday he seemed to be enjoying it!

Did anybody see the McMurty car go up the hill?It's  a tiny British Electric car,single seat,closed cockpit,does 0-60 in under 1.5 secs yes 1.5 and has a fan extract system for downforce-like Gordon Murray's Brabhamfrom the 1970's.It will almost certainly be on the ITV Goodwood programme this afternoon 3-5.0--see attached.It looks so fast.

0 pm.In the meantime see attached..

Yes I saw it too. Ruddy hell what a flying machine. Good ole British engineering blowing everything into the weeds.

• Like 1

Well it won!!!!!!!!

Apparently the fan is so effective that it would stick to the ceiling,even when standing still.

They can be road registered but no mention of price I suppose if you,ve got to ask, you can,t afford it....

43 minutes ago, DavidCM said:

Well it won!!!!!!!!

Apparently the fan is so effective that it would stick to the ceiling,even when standing still.

They can be road registered but no mention of price I suppose if you,ve got to ask, you can,t afford it....

I saw it too.  Not sure about the value of it being road registered.  I’d hate to think of the stuff it would suck up off our potholed lanes!

Well it won!!!!!!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links