Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

To sell or not

I have owned my 2002 IS300 since 2004. I'm just not using it, and it is sitting on the drive, deteriorating. I am very attached to it, and haven't sold it because I don't want to to go to some 19yo to rag it, or to be cut up for spares. The engine and gearbox are still fantastically smooth. There is a very small amount of body corrosion. 

It's probably worth about £500, but if I sold it, I would want it to go to someone who had the time to sort the body work issues (I have been quoted £800), and drive it gently. 

What would you do?

100% sell it. Car are there to be driven, no ragging will be worse than sitting on the drive and rotting. I appreciate the attachment to the car, but if you do not use it yourself, do not have money or cannot fix it for any other reason then let somebody else enjoy it. The only part where I agree and appreciate - I would try to ensure car does not go to scrap yard. 

And yes this requires some mental gymnastics - you have to start thinking about it as it is and object which can be sold and where you should not care what happens next. If you really want best for your car then investing that £800 (if it is really only £800) will save it. Cheapest IS300 on sale now is £3500 (times are very different now!) and it is cat-S, so £800 investment can make difference between £500 scrap and £3000 driveable car. Now I personally doubt that it's going to be only £800, but even if that just makes car remotely presentable for sale it is better than selling rolling "project for £500. Because if you let somebody have it for £500, this most likely going to attract the people who will scrap it, but if you fix it and sell it for £3000, this will attract people who will cherish it at least a little bit, even if it is 19yo. Although IS300 being automatic, they are not most popular cars with 19yo for ragging, so I would not worry about that. 

• Like 1

I have always found that the sentimental significance of cars goes away rather quickly after you part with them. It's going to be easier than you think!

• Like 3

Or sell it to me and il send you many of pics of it beside our 300h and other fleet of classics because Ive an illness of car hoarding and on the look out for a good mk1 is. 

Or sell it to me and il send you many of pics of it beside our 300h and other fleet of classics because Ive an illness of car hoarding and on the look out for a good mk1 is. 

IMG_20190512_193339.jpg

IMG_20220101_232746.jpg

IMG_20200328_152349.jpg

• Like 1

I'd be seriously interested in buying that if you do decide to sell. 

A mark 1 is and a volvo 340 are top of my list to own. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've beenwat hing the prices of the first gen IS going up in the last 12 months. I think £800 is a lowball offer and a good wash and polish and photos taken in the sun might see you get more than you're expecting. 

• 3 weeks later...

Good call. I love my IS300 and I still get lots of comments from newer Lexus drivers who used to own a Gen 1 (everyone did at one point!) 

keep it and run it - they are going up in value fast now especially the SC

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links