Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus CT200 - powered bass tube?

Hello all, 

just a quick question

i currently have a CT200 with a mark leverson sound system which is fantastic as i really do love it. cant fault it

it already has an 8 inch sub somewhere in the car but now have the urge for some more bass 😁

im looking for a quick way to add some bass in the boot perhaps and was thinking maybe a Powered bass tube  (something that already has an internal amp)

would there be an easy way to connect this up?

just thought id ask

thanks

Joe

Hi Joe. You'll have to be careful about installing an extra sub because of one cancelling out the other. A phase issue (correct terminology escapes me). It would be best to disconnect the ML sub and introduce another sub. Not necessarily a bigger sub as too many large subs are cheap rubbish. I've used the Alpine SW815 with outstanding results. A self powered sub needs power so you'd need to get a 12v supply from the Battery and a good earth then a remote power on from an ignition fed supply then a source which can be got from a speaker. Sounds complicated but it's simple. 

H

On 7/17/2022 at 10:59 AM, Mr Vlad said:

Hi Joe. You'll have to be careful about installing an extra sub because of one cancelling out the other. A phase issue (correct terminology escapes me). It would be best to disconnect the ML sub and introduce another sub. Not necessarily a bigger sub as too many large subs are cheap rubbish. I've used the Alpine SW815 with outstanding results. A self powered sub needs power so you'd need to get a 12v supply from the battery and a good earth then a remote power on from an ignition fed supply then a source which can be got from a speaker. Sounds complicated but it's simple. 

Many thanks for the reply Mr Vlad

youre right, ive heard about two subs cancelling each other out so i will definitely look into disconnecting the current one. the SW815 looks really good, thanks for the recommendation. good output and sound?

since this is a hybrid/electric car, is there anything i need to be careful with in terms of the different wiring/power that might be in this car? any considerations i should know about compared to a standard car?

thanks for your help

The Alpine SW815 is an astonishing sub. It got tons of great reviews. I had it in a mk4.5 mondeo and depending on what music it shook the car.

With your car I'd recommend wiring the power direct from the 12v Battery but using a quick blow fuse really close to the Battery. Negative can be got from a good clean metal part of your car. You'll need an ignition on power feed to switch the sub amp on. Music source ideally from behind the radio unit or from your existing ML amp, you can piggyback the remote power on from that by the way. Sounds complicated but common sense is all you need. There are videos on YouTube on wiring in an external sub.

Oh for example of boot space taken by the SW815. Had it first in a mk3 focus. I could fit a baby buggy and a good medium sized holdall in the boot with the sub in place.

3 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

The Alpine SW815 is an astonishing sub. It got tons of great reviews. I had it in a mk4.5 mondeo and depending on what music it shook the car.

With your car I'd recommend wiring the power direct from the 12v battery but using a quick blow fuse really close to the battery. Negative can be got from a good clean metal part of your car. You'll need an ignition on power feed to switch the sub amp on. Music source ideally from behind the radio unit or from your existing ML amp, you can piggyback the remote power on from that by the way. Sounds complicated but common sense is all you need. There are videos on YouTube on wiring in an external sub.

Oh for example of boot space taken by the SW815. Had it first in a mk3 focus. I could fit a baby buggy and a good medium sized holdall in the boot with the sub in place.

fantastic, makes sense

the Sw815 is very appealing. 
i listen to music with lots of lower frequencies and sub bass 🙂
would you say that i may need a bigger sub to really appreciate the lower frequencies? (perhaps a 10 or 12?)

would you happen to know where i can get hold of the speaker/audio mapping on my car? (i.e. the way its all set out at the moment - speaker/amp/sub locations etc)
i could phone the dealership i suppose but im not sure of where u can obtain such information (ive checked the documentation that came with the car but theres nothing specific)

mines is a CT200 69 plate (premium)
unsure if its the 10 or 12 speaker set up 🥴

thank you

I'd ask in the CT section of the forum. Browse it first in the search section. If you don't find anything then ask fellow CT owners who'd only be happy to help.

As for sub size it depends on how much of your boot space you need. I found the Alpine could handle very low frequencies. Radio 1 drum and bass show I listened to on the BBC sounds app and I'd say only about 3% of the really low stuff is missed. That's where a larger sub is better.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links