Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

No power to OBD2 port

tim hunter

Good morning

so my '02 has developed a slight misfire so need to read the codes.  Plugged in my trusty code reader, and there are no lights displayed on it. Plugged into one of our other cars and - as usual - get the red power light and green lights when engine running. So its not the device, it must be the port in the car.

Same reader, same car - has worked just fine previously.

Anyone seen the OBD port not working before?

Regards

Tim

That sounds like it's going to be fun to trace with a multi-meter. I would start with the OBD 7.5A fuse in the footwell. Check for continuity.

A quick search didn't reveal a pin-out diagram specific to the SC but it looks like pin 4 is ground and pin 16 is the +12V feed from the 7.5A OBD fuse. 

CL RX OBD thread

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I have checked fuse 9 in the right hand footwell. The fuse is good, and there is 12v coming in to it.  Zero volts between pins 16 and 4/5 on the OBD port though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tim hunter said:

Thanks for the reply. I have checked fuse 9 in the right hand footwell. The fuse is good, and there is 12v coming in to it.  Zero volts between pins 16 and 4/5 on the OBD port though.

Okay that's good so assuming the ground is fine, the next check is the wiring to pin 16 as if there's 12V at both sides of the fuse (definite continuity across the fuse) yet nothing at pin 16, is there continuity between fuse 9 and obd port pin 16? I'm thinking....rare dodgy/rusty/broken terminal or broken wire perhaps?  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links