Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reversing camera

Ken Timbers

Hi Ken

Glad to hear you finally got the rear camera sorted 👌 

I have ordered 2 sets of parking sensors, front and rear which should arrive today. I already have new front and rear dash cam and a reversing camera. 

It seems sensible to fit them all at the same time and need to work out when it will be convenient to lay her up for a few days.

If I can tie in refurbishing the seats and carpet at the same time, that would work well.

I will let you know how the job goes with pics!

Ant

• Like 1

As promised, herewith a photo of the satnav screen when the car is put into reverse. I apologise for the rather poor photo—I didn't realise how mucky the screen has become with fingerprints. I hope it at least shows the main feature, the guiding lines. I'm a trifle colour-blind, so I'm not sure whether you can see any red wording? There is a STOP warning as the car approaches a block of any kind—perhaps in this instance I haven't gone close enough to the garage door to bring it up. I'll take another shot next time I take the car out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ken Timbers said:

image.thumb.jpeg.dc0ea29efe43938f47af3095bbb9a672.jpeg

Hi Ken. Thanks for posting the picture. I am a bit confused as to why your parking lines plus measurements and the stop sign are different to mine and others I have seen for the SC430mods setup. Did you order the one with the predictive telemetry from Calvin in other words when you turn your steering wheel do the lines move?

Maybe it could also be your fitting company fitted a different camera to the SC430mods setup for some reason.

• Like 1

Hi Glyn,  I don't recall being given options when I put in my order for this kit, but I certainly expected to have guidelines like these, so perhaps I ticked the relevant box. The lines don't appear to move, but I'll have to check. I found the image seemed very clear in guidance and I had no difficulty in using it. As for a different camera, yes, the fitting company made use of the camera they had already fitted. I know that because they didn't use the bracket that came with the package, but the camera itself looks as near as I can see identical. I'd have thought the superimposition of guidelines on the image came from the software rather than from the lens package, but that's just my guess.

18 minutes ago, Ken Timbers said:

Hi Glyn,  I don't recall being given options when I put in my order for this kit, but I certainly expected to have guidelines like these, so perhaps I ticked the relevant box. The lines don't appear to move, but I'll have to check. I found the image seemed very clear in guidance and I had no difficulty in using it. As for a different camera, yes, the fitting company made use of the camera they had already fitted. I know that because they didn't use the bracket that came with the package, but the camera itself looks as near as I can see identical. I'd have thought the superimposition of guidelines on the image came from the software rather than from the lens package, but that's just my guess.

Thanks Ken that’s very helpful in that it may mean it is just my camera that is the issue for me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2022 at 12:51 PM, Glyn Jennings said:

Thanks Ken that’s very helpful in that it may mean it is just my camera that is the issue for me.

Update. Calvin sent me a replacement wiring kit for the reversing camera which came this morning. I have now fitted it and works perfectly. Calvin is a Top Guy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lexiguy said:

Hi Glyn

Does that mean there is a dodgy wiring kit for sale at a bargain price? If so let me know.

All it needs is checking with a fine tooth comb to find the problem.

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Unfortunately not as I returned the old one to Calvin so he can do the same.  It is not just wiring there is a box with an electronic circuit board in it although it probably is a wiring fault as it does work but not quite right.

I did ask him if I could add a front camera into his set up.  This is possible but he is planning to do an add on accessory which will add front and side cameras so that's exciting so I will wait for that.  I can't seem to stop spending money on the SC intentionally.

Glyn

• Like 1

Hi Glun

I know what you mean about spending money on it, there is always a next thing to do but like you, I am happy doing that!

Glad you got it all resolved and it now looks really good 👍 

Ant

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 1:00 PM, Glyn Jennings said:

Update. Calvin sent me a replacement wiring kit for the reversing camera which came this morning. I have now fitted it and works perfectly.

Hi Glyn, Does that mean you have a system in which you have lines that move as you turn the steering wheel? My lines don't move with the steering.

23 hours ago, Ken Timbers said:

Hi Glyn, Does that mean you have a system in which you have lines that move as you turn the steering wheel? My lines don't move with the steering.

Yes they do move with the steering but not proportional to the amount of turn ie straight, full left or full right. I am not sure of if it makes much difference to just straight. I have the option If I cut a wire they are just straight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glyn,

I've had a problem with the alarm system and the horn going off randomly, and Lexus (Sidcup) have put in a lot of effort to try to solve the problem. At the moment it seems to have narrowed down to the fitting of the reversing system. I hadn't noticed that, as soon as the engine is switched on, the reversing lights are activated. They're dimmed, and only fully lit up when the car is put into reverse gear, but of course they shouldn't be lighting up at all! Lexus has now tried disconnecting the reversing system (the equipment I bought from sc430mods) and the reversing lights then work normally.

I have messaged sc430mods to tell him of this problem and asking for advice. Can you check whether you have this same problem with your reversing lights?

8 hours ago, Ken Timbers said:

Glyn,

I've had a problem with the alarm system and the horn going off randomly, and Lexus (Sidcup) have put in a lot of effort to try to solve the problem. At the moment it seems to have narrowed down to the fitting of the reversing system. I hadn't noticed that, as soon as the engine is switched on, the reversing lights are activated. They're dimmed, and only fully lit up when the car is put into reverse gear, but of course they shouldn't be lighting up at all! Lexus has now tried disconnecting the reversing system (the equipment I bought from sc430mods) and the reversing lights then work normally.

I have messaged sc430mods to tell him of this problem and asking for advice. Can you check whether you have this same problem with your reversing lights?

Hi Ken, sorry you are having a problem with your car.  To be honest I have only driven my car once since I fitted the camera.  I didn’t have the horn or alarm going off but I don’t know if my reversing lights are affected like yours after after the mod. I will have look tomorrow and get back to you. I maybe completely of the mark and it’s a long shot but something does spring to mind in that you said when they fitted your SC430mods one they used the previous camera they fitted rather than the one supplied in the SC430Mods kit. There are two connections to the camera one for the video from the camera and one to power the camera. On a lot of rear view camera setups as in my separate rear view dash camera the power is taken from the wiring to the reversing camera whereas in the SC430mods case the power is taken from the new wiring harness provided so it is different.  Is it possible they have left the power supply to the camera taken from the reverse light wiring as it probably would have been rather than from the SC430mods wiring harness? 

I am no expert but I hope this makes sense and hope you get it sorted.

Just had another thought the original camera power plug connection may have been different to the new one as my two camera connections are not the same which is another reason they may not have changed it over to the SC430mods wiring harness which if the case could possible upset the SC430 mods set up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very many thanks, Glyn. There's a lot of useful ideas in that commentary and I'll pass it on to Lexus and Bromley Audio verbatim. I'm still awaiting a response to the photos of the set up that I sent to Calvin at sc430mods, but there's a significant time difference between London and Washington State on the West Coast, where it's barely midday as I write!

I'll let you know how this goes when I get an update from the coal face.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ken Timbers said:

Very many thanks, Glyn. There's a lot of useful ideas in that commentary and I'll pass it on to Lexus and Bromley Audio verbatim. I'm still awaiting a response to the photos of the set up that I sent to Calvin at sc430mods, but there's a significant time difference between London and Washington State on the West Coast, where it's barely midday as I write!

I'll let you know how this goes when I get an update from the coal face.

Hi Ken, I have checked my car and  the revering lights only come on when I put the car in reverse gear so I have no issues.  I do find it odd that the SC430 mods kit is causing the problem with the reversing lights as it I assume it is taking it the power supply for the camera from a feed to the sat nav unit. If you refix the SC430MODS kit again you could ask them to just connect up the wiring connections to the SC430mods camera without physically fitting it to the car rather than the existing camera to see if that cures the problem. If not I am sure Calvin will come up with a solution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Glyn,

That's a very smart suggestion. It would ensure that the installer could quickly see whether he had been at fault in avoiding the use of Calvin's camera and it would help in any discussions on who is paying for putting the matter right!

• Like 2

Good look Ken, I hate it when I am put in that position between two parties.

I know Calvin is a good guy and will assist you from his end but I would imagine he will tell you to fit the camera he supplied and all will be OK then.

Hopefully that will happen and you will get exactly what you wanted in the first place!

Regards, Anthony 

• Thanks 1

I've booked the car in with Bromley Audio for a thorough re-examination of the reversing camera installation, but they're so busy that it will have to wait until 7th October. I'll update when the work has been done. Thank you for all the support—it's been very helpful.

!

• Like 3

On 9/23/2022 at 12:58 PM, Glyn Jennings said:

If you refix the SC430MODS kit again you could ask them to just connect up the wiring connections to the SC430mods camera without physically fitting it to the car rather than the existing camera to see if that cures the problem.

Glyn,
I don't know enough about the wiring set up for the sc430mods harness to be able to talk about it with Bromley Audio. I don't know whether the reason for their using the old camera was simply to save the effort of installing Calvin's camera, or due to any doubt about how to connect up the power to the harness. If it's just a matter of installing the new camera, that's a straightforward sort of job, but if it's knowing where to plug the camera and the power lead into the harness, that's perhaps not so obvious. You've told me that the power lead plugs into the harness, but can you tell me where that plug goes? There seem to be several junction boxes in the set—is one of them obviously a power box? And where does the camera lead plug in? I don't know whether you can identify any of the locations on the attached photo, but I'd be grateful for any advice!

IMG_0576.thumb.jpeg.f179e147a712134aced60c5bf368424e.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken Timbers said:

Glyn,
I don't know enough about the wiring set up for the sc430mods harness to be able to talk about it with Bromley Audio. I don't know whether the reason for their using the old camera was simply to save the effort of installing Calvin's camera, or due to any doubt about how to connect up the power to the harness. If it's just a matter of installing the new camera, that's a straightforward sort of job, but if it's knowing where to plug the camera and the power lead into the harness, that's perhaps not so obvious. You've told me that the power lead plugs into the harness, but can you tell me where that plug goes? There seem to be several junction boxes in the set—is one of them obviously a power box? And where does the camera lead plug in? I don't know whether you can identify any of the locations on the attached photo, but I'd be grateful for any advice!

IMG_0576.thumb.jpeg.f179e147a712134aced60c5bf368424e.jpeg

Hi Ken, in your photo the single black lead on the right of the picture with the black and silver plug on it is the power connector to the camera connector which in my case is a red connector as in the photo below. In the middle of your picture the single black cable tied up with a yellow plug on the end is the video connector to the camera which is also yellow as in the photo below

Below is a picture of both connected to the camera before it passes through the rubber grommet in the boot floor to the camera. I hope this helps.

47260FEC-8D15-48B1-809C-81BA25F6AF76.thumb.jpeg.3d6c34754f0f8fd2365ca8f7b31545dc.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glyn Jennings said:

Below is a picture of both connected to the camera before it passes through the rubber grommet in the boot floor to the camera. I hope this helps.

Perfect! I now know what to say to the installer when I take the car in next week! Thank you very much, Glyn—what a great forum this is!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update  I went back to Bromley Audio today and was able to sit in on the work so that I could be sure that my main concern—the "always-on" reversing lights—was sorted out without losing the reversing camera facility. I was amazed by the amount of work needed to get at the electronics in the boot and by the speed at which that was achieved. The power system was dismantled and reconnected so that the equipment now works properly and the reversing lights only operate when in reverse—job done. The whole thing took only one hour, which I found astonishing, given the work needed, but I'm very happy that it's all now okay.

• Like 2

Hi Ken

I realised it was Friday today and was wondering if everything had gone well for you 

That's brilliant news that with your dogged resilience you have finally got what must be the nearest thing to a lexus factory fit system 

Anthony 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Anthony. If I had the sort of skills that you and Glyn can bring to bear, I wouldn't have had to pay for four hours of the installer's time, but that's life and he did a good job. The fault that occurred was down to his trying to save me money by using a previously fitted camera instead of the one from sc430mods. It's too late for me to start to learn your skills, but hopefully I won't have to do anything else that needs such knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links