Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie Owner with a question

Royal Len

Hi All

Just bought a black 05 plate SC430 to replace an R230 SL500, so far very pleased and enjoying the much smoother ride and way more comfortable seats.

So far just one problem discovered - the A pillar cover on the nearside is badly fitting at the bottom edge near the bonnet and the rubber seal between it and the windscreen is also not flush (hopefully pic shows what I mean). I am going to discuss this with the dealer I bought it from but I wondered if this is something that has been seen before and, if so, what the fix would be like as I can't see anyway to remove the offending A pillar trim. I have a feeling it may be due to a previous windscreen replacement as the screen is not Lexus branded like the rest of the glass.

Can't believe I didn't spot it when I inspected the car! 

Thanks in advance

Roy  

IMG_2946[1].JPG

Hi Roy

Welcome to LOC and the SC group, I hope you post on here the story of your SC and any tips or wrinkles you find? We love pics of other people's cars and this is what helps us to assist other owners.

I was the same as you when I bought my SC430, I looked at it with rose coloured spectacle by I have never ever regretted the purchase.

It is a fabulous grand tourer and such a comfortable car for long journeys.

I am not aware of any concern with the A pillars and feel you detective work in deducing it has had a new screen I believe you have found the answer for yourself!

Anthony

Thanks for the welcome Anthony, I shall take some proper pics and post them up after I've had a chance to pamper it a bit this weekend.

I've had a look at a couple of vids of windscreen replacement and it looks like I need to remove some interior trim to get at a bolt that holds that A pillar cover in place. I shall have a go at some point and post up the results. Otherwise, so far so good...

Roy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2022 at 8:04 PM, Royal Len said:

Hi All

Just bought a black 05 plate SC430 to replace an R230 SL500, so far very pleased and enjoying the much smoother ride and way more comfortable seats.

So far just one problem discovered - the A pillar cover on the nearside is badly fitting at the bottom edge near the bonnet and the rubber seal between it and the windscreen is also not flush (hopefully pic shows what I mean). I am going to discuss this with the dealer I bought it from but I wondered if this is something that has been seen before and, if so, what the fix would be like as I can't see anyway to remove the offending A pillar trim. I have a feeling it may be due to a previous windscreen replacement as the screen is not Lexus branded like the rest of the glass.

Can't believe I didn't spot it when I inspected the car! 

Thanks in advance

Roy  

IMG_2946[1].JPG

Roy the A pillar trim has two pop clips and a 10mm nut, sadly the nut is on the inside of the pillar under the interior trim .

That will be plastic A pillar off and the full trim off behind the sun visors .

Sadly when windscreens are replaced, some fitters are unfamiliar with how to strip out the trim, this could by why your trim is a bad fit ☹️

• Like 2

Thanks Bob, I did get all that interior trim off last weekend and located a nut but could not shift it with the leverage I had in there and didn't want to force it too much. I also saw that there was a bolt with what looked like a torx head on it it that had been completely mashed up by someone so I had no chance of loosening that either. As I wasn't sure which one I needed to remove I decided to leave it for another day.

If you are certain is the hex nut rather than the torx bolt then I will summon up the energy to have another go!

To make myself feel better about my failure, I replaced the pollen filter and gave the car a bath instead 😀. Only washed it, I will get out the rotary polisher another day too. Here are a couple of pics, Roy

690097960_IMG_29981.thumb.JPG.fc16ac1016aefd469a3253e9602a504e.JPG189619257_IMG_29991.thumb.JPG.dae80e3974af446116b38090378013f1.JPG

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links