Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1998 LS400 window and door trims paint finish

24 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

Thy look smart - but I noticed both have the orange peel effect towards the bonnet end - why did the paint react?

Maybe it was due to a ***** up when I flattened the primer which I haven't mentioned....................... I used panel wipe after flattening and it started to remove the primer and in places it was back to bare metal and uneven, thinking about it I shouldn't have used panel wipe at all but you live and learn. I did leave the primer to dry for 24 hours. Very very annoyed with myself so wiped down (not with panel wipe), cleaned and gave them a another thin coat of primer. I really couldn't wait until the next day for it to dry for 24 hours again, flatten and spray the top coats so left them for an hour, used a hairdryer for 10 mins, wiped down and sprayed the top coats.

The orange peel effect is all over the trims not just at the bonnet end, in real life you can't really see it unless you get close and in the high res pictures I took you can see it. Proof is that further up the trim it looks fine in the pics.
When the paint hardens I could try flattening the paint and buffing it but I'm not bothered because it looks spot on and I quite like the subtle 'textured effect', a professional sprayer may disagree but I don't care.

• Like 1

As I mentioned before, you might be disappointed with the gloss vinyl, firstly because they are not that glossy and secondly the finish is not as smooth as a paint finish. 

My B pillar trims are satin, and the satin vinyl has a much smoother finish, similar to paint.

Included is a photo of a test piece I put on a chipped windscreen trim, without flatting, and the chips have not affected the finish.

Ask for samples of both satin and gloss before deciding though.

IMG_20220922_082803040.thumb.jpg.311f38173d63692b7d085c6c23b5fc6f.jpg

1 hour ago, Howplum said:

As I mentioned before, you might be disappointed with the gloss vinyl, firstly because they are not that glossy and secondly the finish is not as smooth as a paint finish. 

My B pillar trims are satin, and the satin vinyl has a much smoother finish, similar to paint.

Included is a photo of a test piece I put on a chipped windscreen trim, without flatting, and the chips have not affected the finish.

Thanks Howard, good advice and good to see a piece of the vinyl in situ.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howplum said:

I've took the plunge and ordered the satin finish and a toolkit to go with it.
I'll see how I get on and posts some pictures.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Applied the vinyl wrap to the passenger door trim which was the only one with chunks of paint missing. Spent a bit of time working out the best way to do it. Wound the passenger window down, measured a length of wrap and applied it. Trimmed the edges and it went on really well.
Shut the door and was very pleased, ready now to do the rest. The rest are in good condition with no paint missing but I wanted them all to match.
However, I stood back and looked at the result. The finish is pretty close to the rear door so I didn’t bother doing the rest.
Next job………the black button on the rear passenger side glass were most of the paint has gone. Button is the same size as a 1p coin so just that as a template to cut a circle. Dried the button and applied the wrap. It’s not perfect and I may do it again if it starts coming off after washing etc but it’s a hell of a lot better.
Overall I’m pretty chuffed and thanks again to Howard for suggesting it.

pic of before wrapping, not the best pic cos it’s cropped from another pic of the whole car but you can see where the paint is missing and I’ve used a permanently marker.

4FD76FF3-3FA7-494D-B772-D3263C1A9201.thumb.jpeg.10ea60a568dbb407a507da208af717d3.jpeg

Trim done

CBA3A8A0-F84E-40BF-A2A2-A7AD460EE1A9.thumb.jpeg.e8525ac31b5a19c82b476fb2216cf5c1.jpeg
button done

DF056932-906D-47D5-B434-FE68A05040D4.thumb.jpeg.dd04e37d8f205613f761470a1b0a8476.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Razor61 said:

see where the paint is missing and I’ve used a permanently marker.

just thinking

mine are all 4 bereft of most of the black too  .......  might a simple black marker pen be a permanent and ok finish I wonder ?

they are stand alone and not near anything to compare with !

Malc

I used power steering fluid on a sponge one stroke top to bottom and it looks fantastic lasts for a couple of washes then re-apply.There are no scratches or missing paint just faded black which transforms when the steering pump fluid is applied.

sidewindow.jpg

• Like 1

my " buttons " are bereft of any black at all mostly, just a grubby looking clearish plasticky effect sadly

I'll find a permanent black marker pen to see if that's of any effect

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links