Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Alignment / Lower Control Arm Inner Bolts

morgan_sa

I've just returned from an alignment shop who were unable to unseize the inner bolts on both rear lower control arms (using both penetrating oil and a hammer, although they didn't try with heat); they've advised me to find a garage that can unseize the bolts, although a few that I have spoken to have said that they may need to replace the surrounding bushings and/or the control arms entirely. I'd like to keep this as simple as possible, so could anyone that has had this issue before lend some advice? I'd appreciate it if someone could recommend a garage in or around West London who can do this job also. 👌

Personally speaking I'd say if that garage didn't have a source of heat namely a welding torch then they're Not worth going to again. Heat and a bit of brute force would lose that and any seized bolt. Ask family and friends who they go to.

morgan.    A few years ago in Canterbury I had a similar issue  on my Ls400 ..... the professional view was that they wanted to pop along to the Lexus Toyota stores on the same estate area and replace the whole ........ @. £500 ...... they realised the stupidity of this and just kept the car overnight with copious lubrications etc and like and lo and behold ..... later the following day ...... “ all done sir ...... usual minimal cost for regular adjustment “ 

patience lubrications and TIME and maybe heat etc I don’t know ....... it’s the Patience that’s often lacking methinks 

Malc 

On 10/22/2022 at 2:44 PM, morgan_sa said:

I've just returned from an alignment shop who were unable to unseize the inner bolts on both rear lower control arms (using both penetrating oil and a hammer, although they didn't try with heat); they've advised me to find a garage that can unseize the bolts, although a few that I have spoken to have said that they may need to replace the surrounding bushings and/or the control arms entirely. I'd like to keep this as simple as possible, so could anyone that has had this issue before lend some advice? I'd appreciate it if someone could recommend a garage in or around West London who can do this job also. 👌

If you can get at it, I'd just cut the fu*kers off. Just make sure you buy the new bolts before you start cutting. I had a bolt seized in the LCA when I was putting coilovers on. (The bolt that goes through the arm & shock). Had no choice but to cut it off to get the stock shock out and then couldn't find the correct size bolt anywhere. Tried B&Q, Screwfix and a couple of others.. Toyota quoted a week to get it so I ended up using 1 size smaller bolt just for the meantime and ordered a pack of 4 high tensile bolts for £6 on eBay on next day delivery. 

• Like 1

A quick update: took the car to a local independent today, who advised that without a change to the suspension setup, a rear camber adjustment shouldn't be necessary; I'll keep an eye on the tyre wear (all is ok so far) but in the meantime thank you all for the advice. 👍

• Like 1

Yeah I was about to ask what you planning to adjust in the rear - you can't adjust much. So usually what wheel alignment shops do - they adjust front, let the rear set-in, checks again and adjust front again... It is little bit tricky as basically they have to adjust front half-way to as get rear somewhat close, but decent alignment shop will do it if you get 4 weeks alignment ordered.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, morgan_sa said:

A quick update: took the car to a local independent today, who advised that without a change to the suspension setup, a rear camber adjustment shouldn't be necessary; I'll keep an eye on the tyre wear (all is ok so far) but in the meantime thank you all for the advice. 👍

There's not a lot of adjustment you can do. If any at all..even after lowering the car, you will gain camber but if it's lowered evenly, you will get even camber too. Think mine was even at -3 degrees on the back. 

You can buy IS200 adjustable toe arms for £40 as that will be out a little after lowering.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links