Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying a 2005 GS300 SE - Any advise

I'm thinking of buying a GS300 SE - 2005 Model with 54,000 on the clock.

Does anyone have any pointers for me on items that I should check. I.e evidence of potential faults.

Things that I should look for, listen to or even test out.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure why you wouldn't try to get a 450h unless the 300 is a lot cheaper.

Its nippier and gets better mph due to it been a hybrid. 
Only downside is you do have the hybrid system breaking to worry about as well but they are
pretty reliable. Road tax is also several hundred a year cheaper. Insurance will probably be a little
more however.

If you get it from a dealer you've got 6 months peace of mind either way since if it breaks in
6 months, it's the dealer's issue.

On 11/27/2022 at 6:15 PM, Tim Whe said:

I'm thinking of buying a GS300 SE - 2005 Model with 54,000 on the clock.

Does anyone have any pointers for me on items that I should check. I.e evidence of potential faults.

Things that I should look for, listen to or even test out.

Thanks in advance.

Look for corrosion on leading edge of bonnet. Many years ago when I was looking many had an issue. Check alloys for corrosion  as well. Check 'Y' section on exhaust this is where they typically start to blow. Make sure TPMS is working. That's about it. The 2005 model you are looking at will fall into the 'cheap' tax bracket. 

SE has plenty of toys for the year, heated/vented electric seats, blinds, etc make sure they all work. Mirror fold switch is hidden in panel where your right knee will rest (took me a while to find it)

Great on fuel for 3.0, 38 mpg on motorway, will be 20ish around town and short runs. Boot on 450h is tiny, if you don't care about fuel get a 430 or 460 (if you can find one)

Good luck

• 1 month later...

As already mentioned, key common issues:

• Y section of exhaust at the rear commonly has a split in it
  • TPMS usually has issues (I've replace 3 in the last year!)
  • Headlight height can be wrong (bracket under the car can seize or snap, which will need fixing)
  • Boot can be difficult to lift (new bonnet struts will fix it)
  • Parking brake can be non-existent (new brake shoes and discs will fix it, plus some adjustment)
  • Check the fuel compatibility for E10, as it may not be compatible

These aren't massive fixes barring the exhaust, but quiet, comfortable and reasonably quick cars. Economical if you live in a more rural area, on a slow 60-65 run I managed to get 42 mpg-44 mpg.

• 2 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links