Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Attempted Theft of RX450h Headlight or was it trying to steal the Car

RayBrown

1 hour ago, RayBrown said:

If the car is locked then I assume the thieves are messing t-with the headlight wiring loom to simply open the car to access the OBD?

Yes, the CAN bus attack allows them to disable the alarm and unlock the vehicle. Then with access to the OBDII port they can programme a key, disable the immobiliser and drive away.

22 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Yes, the CAN bus attack allows them to disable the alarm and unlock the vehicle. Then with access to the OBDII port they can programme a key, disable the immobiliser and drive away.

I understand now. Surely Lexus could make access to the wiring loom from the Wheel arch more difficult. Perhaps just a plastic / metal cover so that it can only be accessed with the bonnet open. The chances of setting the alarm off would be much higher and would be better than the fuss/expense of an aftermarket immobiliser or lockable cover for the OBD.

The problem with aftermarket immobiliser/locks on the OBD is that the thieves don't know they are fitted until they get to the OBD. They've already done damage at that point. A deterrent fitted by Lexus on new models would at least be known to the thieves not to bother. 

2 hours ago, RayBrown said:

Surely Lexus could make access to the wiring loom from the Wheel arch more difficult.

Yes, but I don't hold out much hope. They didn't make cat converters more difficult to steal over the years of them being stolen, only the fact that they now need to use a particulate filter for emissions has it forced them to remove the secondary cats from under the vehicle. Or the fact they still use keys that don't disable keyless entry once movement has not occurred, unlike many other manufacturers, so are still susceptible to relay attacks years after the weakness has been known about and actively exploited.

2 hours ago, RayBrown said:

I understand now. Surely Lexus could make access to the wiring loom from the Wheel arch more difficult. Perhaps just a plastic / metal cover so that it can only be accessed with the bonnet open. The chances of setting the alarm off would be much higher and would be better than the fuss/expense of an aftermarket immobiliser or lockable cover for the OBD.

I suspect a fairly simple software change could be developed such that the Can bus is deactivated when the vehicle is locked, or at least the parts of it which can be accessed externally.

OBD ports could be protected with a PIN / Password required to access them, this would be set at manufacture and given to the customer just like you get a code for locking wheel nuts, this would need to be an industry wide change.

All fairly simple changes which could be made if there was a desire to.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update, last night my alarm went off (RXL 2022) I went out and didn't see anything as the front offside was parked against the hedge. Checked up at work and looked when I got back this afternoon and the connector is sticking out of the wheel arch. Surprised they didn't come back later. Spoke to Lexus and they say it just started in London. I was annoyed that they knew of the problem (cars are going to Russia for parts) and didn't send out a notice so will follow this up with them. Off to get a steering lock as car would be on a boat or in a container before the police managed to do anything with a tracker. Went to Lexus this morning where fortunately they reconnected and no damage. They know about the problem but are not notifying owners, not good customer service. I have followed up with a not fit for purpose (sale of goods act) because car can be started even if the key is in another country (no relay required). Suggest you all do similar.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reading all of this has left me feeling pretty shaky.

I do have a stoplock pro and make the effort to park inside my tiny garage, but seems that may not be enough.
I have read about kill switches, IGLA systems and scorpion track (immobilisers) .... im super confused and feeling uneasy

Would a kill switch work? someone in this forum said that the lexus Battery is a bit special and if disconnected the sound system may not work again...

I have looked up OBD locks but they seem just plastic lids for the OBD socket?

Somewhere here inbthis forum someone mentioned removing the OBD socket from its 'normal ' position place a blank OBD socket in its place and place the proper OBD socket elsewhere. 

Have an alarm system not connected to the cars electrics, except for the 12v Battery. This alarm system would go off if the car was manhandled. 

Park the car with the front wheels pointing left where the inner part of the wheel is in-line with the rear edge of the wing. This produces the narrowest gap between wheel and wing.

If the car has air suspension put it in the lowest position when you park.

Have a dirty big steering wheel lock.

• 11 months later...

Just had a letter from our insurers (renewal due end of March), saying that due to rising theft, they will not offer a renewal premium! This is LV on a 2019 car. 
Did a price comparison site and ranged from 1k to 5k to insure.😡

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links