Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Depress brake pedal and push power switch to start

Stevenh888

Hi,

I got a 2017 Lexus CT200h.

I was initially working on adding some LED lights to my car, until it appeared my Battery was running low. I initially had the error "Lock malfunction when parking, park in flat place and apply parking brake securely":

27632910_20230312_164630(2).thumb.jpg.f5925bbf9bc2c5b929ee5d50adcf1cbb.jpg

So looked up and it seems like Battery was low and people suggested jump starting the car.

I bought this Jump Starter Battery pack from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BBVPQ2YG

And tried jump starting my car:
https://youtube.com/shorts/P0RguavQM3w

But now I keep getting this error on my dashboard "Depress brake pedal and push power switch to start". I literally pressed the brake pedal as hard as I could, and continuing kept pushing the power button but nothing is happening.

20230318_121612.thumb.jpg.15d43602f13cd651f76a2b33ac89a9d8.jpg

https://youtu.be/0m9-P_0XJzs

My key fob now isn't responding to my car, I cannot lock my doors (had to manually lock the door).
Just before jump starting the car, my key fob was working perfectly fine, it can lock/unlock the car and I was able to turn the power button on.

I tried using my spare key also, doesn't lock/unlock the car. So seems like either Battery is like dead? Did I jump start the car wrong? Please advice.

14 minutes ago, scudney said:

At a guess would probably say you have a flat/dead battery 

Would that be the 12V Battery thats hidden in the back trunk?

Is it possible to manually open the trunk? It's locked right now and I cannot unlock it with key.

13 hours ago, Stevenh888 said:

If I replace the 12v battery, will I need to reset anything or recalibur my fob key or something?

Can I simply replace battery, and car will startup again? Or do I need to do something else?

I am not familiar with the CT but I suggest changing the Battery. Personally I would take it to a Lexus dealer for the Battery replacement. They should sort out any resets that may be needed.

The best place to get a new Battery is indeed your Lexus (or Toyota) dealer. When I had to replace mine on my old CT I shopped around and found that the main dealer was the best price, which was about £90 (with a loyalty discount) at the time. I fitted it myself but I think they will fit for free if you’re buying from them. Oh, and don’t think you can just go to someware like Halfords, they will just try to sell you a standard lead acid Battery, which it’s not. 

• Like 1

Ok so I've fully charged my portable Battery pack.

This time I connected it directly to the 12V Battery at the trunk (rather than the hoot).

20230319_145931.thumb.jpg.6ef0b5cbf7e2a8a33b2081430850e7a0.jpg

This time I managed to start my car up. So for some reason it wasn't charging it when I tried connecting it from the front.

20230318_125500.thumb.jpg.ceb639ecd7527708018ce518e775bc58.jpg 20230318_121123.thumb.jpg.b08868e9b2267ebb06ff16a78fa4a3bc.jpg

Phew no need to replace 12v Battery for now, thx for your help guys!

18 hours ago, Stevenh888 said:

Phew no need to replace 12v battery for now, thx for your help guys!

Glad to hear that your power pack has got you going again, Steven.  But they are an emergency solution and not something a Battery should regularly need.

So you may wish to consider what caused the problem in the first place.  If it’s the original Battery then it may well becoming to the end of its useful life.  It may also be that you’re not doing sufficient mileage to keep it charged - or that the charging rate is down.

You don’t mention it, but in case you don’t have one, it’s always worth investing in a good trickle charger that will maintain and even condition the Battery.  

I use a CTEK - but others are available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LenT said:

Glad to hear that your power pack has got you going again, Steven.  But they are an emergency solution and not something a battery should regularly need.

So you may wish to consider what caused the problem in the first place.  If it’s the original battery then it may well becoming to the end of its useful life.  It may also be that you’re not doing sufficient mileage to keep it charged - or that the charging rate is down.

You don’t mention it, but in case you don’t have one, it’s always worth investing in a good trickle charger that will maintain and even condition the battery.  

I use a CTEK - but others are available.

As shown in the pic, I don't have the OEM Battery. So I'm sure previous owner must of installed it recently as the car is only 5 years old.

As for the reason why the Battery went flat in the first placed, I did leave it parked for nearly 2 weeks without driving it. I was also installing LED lights so kept powering on the car (without driving) to test the lights on. I recall while having the lights out, it suddenly turned off on me. That's when I first saw the message on dashboard "Lock malfunction when parking, park in flat place and apply parking brake securely". Kept repeatedly trying to get car running until Battery died out on me.

Noted, I just bought some portable Battery pack from amazon from an unknown brand. Unfortunately I do live in a flat building, so using a trickle charger is inconvenient for me as i don't have access to a mains plug near enough. I was considering buying the "NOCO GB40 1000A Jump Starter" for future. Any other portable device you suggest I can use in future to jump/start or maintian Battery for future?

• Like 1

Thanks for the extra info, Steven.

Normally you wouldn’t expect a Battery in good condition to go flat after just two weeks, unless there was an unknown source of a current drain.  But the activity you describe was obviously sufficient to tip it over the edge!

As you are a flat dweller I can see that access to a three-pin socket may be a bit limited.  Maybe there’s a Caretaker with a handy cupboard that you can run a cable in to?  My apologies but I’m not much help there, unfortunately.  🙁

1 hour ago, Stevenh888 said:

Noted, I just bought some portable battery pack from Amazon from an unknown brand. Unfortunately I do live in a flat building, so using a trickle charger is inconvenient for me as i don't have access to a mains plug near enough. I was considering buying the "NOCO GB40 1000A Jump Starter" for future. Any other portable device you suggest I can use in future to jump/start or maintian battery for future?

This Model of NOCO Power Pack is the one I have and it’s an excellent bit of kit.  I haven’t had to use it on the Lexus, but our other car - which only did 100 miles one year and I’d forgotten to connect the trickle charger - did benefit.  I actually got one because I witnessed an AA mechanic use one to bring a car back to life with a Battery so flat that not even an overnight trickle charger had improved it.

Neighbours have also benefited.  In fact, I keep it in the boot in case I can rescue some stranded stranger and thus feel that my day has not been without purpose!

I’ve not tried it myself, but you can also use it to charge up phones, tablets and such like.  Every six months or so, if I remember, I check the charge level but its hardly diminished.

As for your predicament - and I’ve no idea if this is possible for you - I like to drive out to a nice country pub for the occasional lunch and thus recharge the Battery on the way!

As someone who grew up in London and worked in London for many years, I always looked forward to getting away from it!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, LenT said:

Thanks for the extra info, Steven.

Normally you wouldn’t expect a battery in good condition to go flat after just two weeks, unless there was an unknown source of a current drain.  But the activity you describe was obviously sufficient to tip it over the edge!

As you are a flat dweller I can see that access to a three-pin socket may be a bit limited.  Maybe there’s a Caretaker with a handy cupboard that you can run a cable in to?  My apologies but I’m not much help there, unfortunately.  🙁

This Model of NOCO Power Pack is the one I have and it’s an excellent bit of kit.  I haven’t had to use it on the Lexus, but our other car - which only did 100 miles one year and I’d forgotten to connect the trickle charger - did benefit.  I actually got one because I witnessed an AA mechanic use one to bring a car back to life with a battery so flat that not even an overnight trickle charger had improved it.

Neighbours have also benefited.  In fact, I keep it in the boot in case I can rescue some stranded stranger and thus feel that my day has not been without purpose!

I’ve not tried it myself, but you can also use it to charge up phones, tablets and such like.  Every six months or so, if I remember, I check the charge level but its hardly diminished.

As for your predicament - and I’ve no idea if this is possible for you - I like to drive out to a nice country pub for the occasional lunch and thus recharge the battery on the way!

As someone who grew up in London and worked in London for many years, I always looked forward to getting away from it!

Thanks for your advice, I think I will buy the NOCO Power Pack for future use.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links