Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Check VSC on - but no error codes

Hey guys.

Had a very odd issue crop up recently... I've got CHECK VSC permanently displayed on my dash, yet when I do an error code search on the ECU, there are no error codes?

Any idea what could be causing this?

20230316_192127.jpg

Screenshot_20230316_192053_Torque.jpg

As above a regular cheap OBD2 will not read the ABS module.

From experience it is usually just a bad wheel speed sensor 1 of 4 is potentially at fault. Also it is worth checking the wheel bearing for play whilst your at it sensors usually go bad due to contamination or if there is play in the wheel bearing taking out the sensor with it.

• Like 2

As stated above. Only techstream or one helluva expensive scan tool will read All codes.

Yes check condition of wheel bearings.

What you could do initially is disconnect the Battery for 45 minutes. This kind of resets the ECU and 9 times out of 10 clears all codes. The 1 time is when there is definitely a fault.

Look on eBay for a copy of techstream. 

• Like 1

This came up a few years ago when I had a IS250. What some owners found was that the fuel filler cap not being done up tight triggered this warning (don't know why), so worth checking before getting more involved.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2023 at 3:26 PM, Mr Vlad said:

How have you got on AF?

I only got as far as ordering the cable and software and haven't installed it yet!

Work has been crazy busy plus I need to ask the Mrs to borrow her laptop (mine is an apple). I'm not sure she can cope without it for longer than 5 mins, feels she is missing out on all those youtubes and tiktoks.... SIGH

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the advice above. Was finally able to get Techstream 18 installed and running (although this was not a straightforward process at all, with plenty of driver issues, and virus scares along the way)

Running diagnostic check on all the ECUs:

image.thumb.jpeg.8d7837c0b0d6cddb479116b214f37acd.jpeg

Lots of ECU faults! Some historical, some current:

image.thumb.jpeg.bd5a77dbfc8b738ae3267bed82617e47.jpeg

There's probably a way to clear the historical faults but I didn't have time to figure it out.

The following two screens helped me to finally diagnose the issue:

image.thumb.jpeg.a3b187edd5905e8387c99fdad057da21.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0eb4f0bc7a3ca0141e2c28ae0aed5c26.jpeg

Points go to @IS300FSPORT - it turned out to be an issue with wheel speed sensor.

However - there is an ironic backstory to this.

A while back, I replaced the suspension strut rubber gaiters - and like a true novice, I forgot to unplug the ABS cable before disconnecting the upper control arm and... SNAP! There goes the ABS cable. I soldered it back together and sealed with electrical tape. Clearly this bodge job has come back to haunt me! 🤣🤣🤣

On 5/6/2023 at 11:20 PM, AFlex said:

By the way, does anyone know what these blue symbols mean?

image.png.f670e6d66048703df3a9491716828f94.png

freeze frame data... it is sometimes more useful for garages who does not know when fault happened and what conditions there were. Although I fount it to be difficult to use as it does not have a trip logic in TechSteam i.e. it may show you 0.5V on something, but without knowing that trip logic for that part is "below 1V" is really make little sense. In theory you should use it together with service manual, but even service manual usually does not state what all the data means and may say just check the resistance or something like that, so often when looking at freeze frame or for that matter live data once needs to have some "mechanic common sense" or just experience - like sensor measuring 0V is probably faulty.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, I am joining you in the check VSC light fraternity 😑

The states of the roads in Gloucestershire is as bad as some places I visited in Africa, and so the other day after dropping my daughter at tennis, I plodded along and hit a rather large crater at 20mph. I checked visually and all seems fine, and the car is driving fine too.

I went home and the next morning Check VSC and the EML are on, steady.

Attended to all the checks prescribed here, like checking no hoses dangling, fuel filler is tightly shut and gave the MAF a blast of MAF cleaner. The light is not going away.

Now waiting for a Mini VCI cable to arrive so I can get few days of TechStream and harvest any codes.

In the meanwhile will try and learn how to use TS and will also have to borrow  Swambo's Avensis boat, it's a night and day experience 🤣.

Just a thought, have you checked the headlight levelling sensor. On the front it’s located in the passenger side front wheel arch. There may be a broken arm there … it’s about 10” or so long. 
A sudden impact just may have snapped the arm linkage.

33 minutes ago, normski2 said:

Just a thought, have you checked the headlight levelling sensor. On the front it’s located in the passenger side front wheel arch. There may be a broken arm there … it’s about 10” or so long. 
A sudden impact just may have snapped the arm linkage.

I'll check but I don't think there were self levelling lights on the SE?

Good point, if you don’t have HID headlights you won’t have levellers. I always fall into the trap of thinking they all had HID … sorry.

I’ll get my coat 😁

As well you can try disconnecting Battery for 30-45min... would clear the code (although it would still stay in in history)... that is it isn't really a fix, so if you have TechSteam coming it is best to scan the codes and actually know what issue you dealing with. 

Initial scanning brought some very old freeze frame codes P0751 and P2714, look like the Lexus dealer did some calibration  early in the car's life but didn't clear the codes.

Other code was C1201 (under ABS/VSC/TRC section) which I believe can be many things but this was also fairly old stuff not cleared at at the time. I cleared all these codes, gave the car a welly and had another scan.

The EML is now off and a new reading doesn't pick anything bar some negligible AC codes B1421 and B1424 (which were in the live previously). The car shift nicely like always and I really can't see what triggered this.

1 hour ago, Thelongterm said:

Other code was C1201 (under ABS/VSC/TRC section) which I believe can be many things but this was also fairly old stuff not cleared at at the time.

B1421 and B1424 (which were in the live previously). The car shift nicely like always and I really can't see what triggered this.

Interesting... sometimes clearing the codes is all it needs. 

C1201 is real pain to clear... so count yourself lucky it being historic.

B1421 and 1424 are not real codes... they are just saying your light sensors didn't get enough light to determine how bright is outside. Presumably when you scanned them you were indoors or you did it in the evening? 

• Like 1

Thanks Linas, It was a sunny 4.00pm but the car was under a shady tree 🤣

The car had full Lexus history plus the extension part until it arrived in my hands (I take her to our trusty village mechanic who seems to know how to work on them as there are few elderly ladies in the area who own this model for yonks).

I can only assume that some dealers simply don't clear fault codes once they take remedial steps, however will keep an eye if this code raise his head again.

ohhh yeah... it requires loads of light. I have light in garage, but it still triggers. You can point working light directly at the sensor and then it seems to be happy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links