Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2006–2011 GS 3rd Gen Auto folding mirrors on lock & unlock.

Last weekend I discovered that 3rd gen has an auto-folding mirror mode.
After looking around the forum I didn't spot any decent answer to it, so I decided to find out how I've managed to activate it.

The feature works only when you lock the car and unlock it, doesn't matter if it's a door button or a fob.
If you didn't know & desire it as many people do, why not to try it.

All looks very simple:

This is image of my unit, so all you have to do is to hold mirror button which marked with red circle till 2 mirror lights marked with green line starts flashing and you done.
I tested it back and forth and it all works for me, and I believe it should work for everyone.

Just keep in mind I would disable it back over winter to keep your motors safe when unlocking the car.

image.thumb.png.c1f88258dd517c1ee06fc46bc6b44379.png

• Like 2

On 4/7/2023 at 11:22 AM, serbarry said:

Thank you for sharing Toyoda. And how do you disable it to go back to how it was?

Sorry for the late reply, you probably already figured it out, but it's the same process, just hold the button.

On 4/14/2023 at 1:46 PM, Steven Lockey said:

Doesn't seem to work on mine either.

On 4/13/2023 at 2:21 PM, serbarry said:

No I did not try but I have noticed now that you own a GS460 so maybe it would not work on mine?

Technically it shouldn't matter, as they are all programmable like for reverse and positon from the factory.

I've made the video just to showcase how it works. 

I just tried again and nope. Thought it might need to be in ignition off/electrics on or something but nope.
Instant I touch that key, the mirrors move. Doesn't wait for release like your's. Holding it does nothing.

20 minutes ago, Steven Lockey said:

I just tried again and nope. Thought it might need to be in ignition off/electrics on or something but nope.
Instant I touch that key, the mirrors move. Doesn't wait for release like your's. Holding it does nothing.

Sad to hear about it. At least you tried.

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2023 at 9:25 PM, Toyoda said:

Last weekend I discovered that 3rd gen has an auto-folding mirror mode.
After looking around the forum I didn't spot any decent answer to it, so I decided to find out how I've managed to activate it.

The feature works only when you lock the car and unlock it, doesn't matter if it's a door button or a fob.
If you didn't know & desire it as many people do, why not to try it.

All looks very simple:

This is image of my unit, so all you have to do is to hold mirror button which marked with red circle till 2 mirror lights marked with green line starts flashing and you done.
I tested it back and forth and it all works for me, and I believe it should work for everyone.

Just keep in mind I would disable it back over winter to keep your motors safe when unlocking the car.

image.thumb.png.c1f88258dd517c1ee06fc46bc6b44379.png

Dammm I never even considered turning it off during the xmas snow period so as to not damage them thanks for the idea 👏🏾

I have tried this on my GS450h and nothing happens , no flashing lights nothing, my car was first registered January 2010 and is UK specification perhaps it’s not a feature on mine.       I hope not

Probably because the actual 3rd facelift of the 3GS (with the different wheels, clear tail lights, veeery chromey front grille, lack of cassette tape & so on) has a different part number for the pop-out buttons assembly. AFAIK, it's extremely rare to find such a car, let alone wrecked. Wouldn't lose much sleep over this.

EDIT:
GS460 seems to have had this from the get-go. Weird.

This probably is feature only on GS460, does not work on GS300 either.

I believe it to be similar to IS250 system, whereas cars until ~2009 didn't have it and from 2009 it does it automatically if programmed into ECU and perhaps holding the button is workaround. Same for GS range just probably came couple of years early, and perhaps GS460 being flagship had it from the start.

It is weird thought that GS450h does not, as it was kind of "more modern"... and costed the same. Perhaps from Lexus perspective it is GS300 > GS350 and GS450h > GS460.

• 6 months later...

This only works on Japanese models ,and not even all of them, it is trim/year dependant. Everyone can get retrofit done ,as its keypad itself that controls the auto fold function. The only issue is acquiring them, and finding out the part number. If Toyoda generous enough ,he might be able to check the part number on his ,or get his VIN number decoded through parts catalogue and check the P/N that way. Other options are just try to get a hold of JDM import parts ,or order straight from Japan. Although that would be hit or miss option as not every JDM model had auto fold from factory ,and retrofitting these keypads that supports auto fold was rather common in there. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 1:49 PM, Aras said:

This only works on Japanese models ,and not even all of them, it is trim/year dependant. Everyone can get retrofit done ,as its keypad itself that controls the auto fold function. The only issue is acquiring them, and finding out the part number. If Toyoda generous enough ,he might be able to check the part number on his ,or get his VIN number decoded through parts catalogue and check the P/N that way. Other options are just try to get a hold of JDM import parts ,or order straight from Japan. Although that would be hit or miss option as not every JDM model had auto fold from factory ,and retrofitting these keypads that supports auto fold was rather common in there. 

I already sold my GS the only way I can target the parts is through this website, here is the link to the dashboard: https://lexus-japan.epc-data.com/gs460/urs190/161607/body/8401/?frame_no=URS190-5001099

image.thumb.png.0c5e8c9865ca3af4dcc1bb87bad7737d.png

On 12/24/2023 at 6:39 PM, Toyoda said:

I already sold my GS the only way I can target the parts is through this website, here is the link to the dashboard: https://lexus-japan.epc-data.com/gs460/urs190/161607/body/8401/?frame_no=URS190-5001099

image.thumb.png.0c5e8c9865ca3af4dcc1bb87bad7737d.png

Thank you @Toyoda. Sadly,going just purely by the EPC with no vin etc. is a hit and miss,as they list all fitted units. As example in your link it says that control panel been used in between 2007-2008,even tho,yours was 2009 if im not mistaken. Anyways,if someone have some spare cash,they can give it a go with this : 84870-30800-C0. This unit should have auto fold function,cost around £140+postage+import taxes tho. They guy i have conversion with says to be careful,as a lot of places don't really know the differences between these panels,so you order one,but they send some different part no,as auto fold is not the function being listed on them. Only rear shade,front sensor and interior alarm sensors are listed as "features" and they are separated that way. It is rather difficult to dig the information on these cars,as my Japanese is rusty as hell,the guy im talking to,his English rusty as hell,and hes not even a car guy,so he relays my questions to another guy which is sorta car guy in Japan, but not very familiar with lexus,so have to dig in to forums after receiving my questions through broke phone technique lol.

I might bite the bullet and order one myself just for the research purposes,but im not too sure for how many people this information is relevant tbf.

Merry Christmas everyone btw.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2023 at 10:46 AM, Aras said:

Thank you @Toyoda. Sadly,going just purely by the EPC with no vin etc. is a hit and miss,as they list all fitted units. As example in your link it says that control panel been used in between 2007-2008,even tho,yours was 2009 if im not mistaken. Anyways,if someone have some spare cash,they can give it a go with this : 84870-30800-C0. This unit should have auto fold function,cost around £140+postage+import taxes tho. They guy i have conversion with says to be careful,as a lot of places don't really know the differences between these panels,so you order one,but they send some different part no,as auto fold is not the function being listed on them. Only rear shade,front sensor and interior alarm sensors are listed as "features" and they are separated that way. It is rather difficult to dig the information on these cars,as my Japanese is rusty as hell,the guy im talking to,his English rusty as hell,and hes not even a car guy,so he relays my questions to another guy which is sorta car guy in Japan, but not very familiar with lexus,so have to dig in to forums after receiving my questions through broke phone technique lol.

I might bite the bullet and order one myself just for the research purposes,but im not too sure for how many people this information is relevant tbf.

Merry Christmas everyone btw.

The vin should be activated in the link as URS190-5001099 if that helps.

54 minutes ago, Toyoda said:

The vin should be activated in the link as URS190-5001099 if that helps.

Thank You. Im still doing some research just for the curiosity,maybe other gs owners finds it beneficial. I would buy some parts for testing purposes,sadly,nothing is available anywhere apart from japan,and not everyone in there wants to ship stuff to uk

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone.

I have a Japanese import gs430/2006 and it seems to work for me. Don't know if that helps. I can check the part number if anyone wants it? 

It would be useful for people with RHD prefacelifts. As facelift/prefacelift control panels are different 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links