Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Spacer anti-seize agent

Thought I’d make a separate post for this rather than overwhelm my other post regarding the alloys, etc. 

I have ordered some H & R spacers/ adapters ( 30mm & 20mm) and would appreciate opinions on adding a thin smear of an anti-seize agent such as copper grease ( which I already have) between the hub and spacer to prevent any sticking and difficulty when they need to be removed at a later date for whatever reason ( eg disc change) please?

I would also welcome any further feedback about size differentials and driving impressions from those who have fitted spacers please, along with any photos (which I shall add myself once received and fitted). 👍

Anthony

I have fitted 25mm spacers to the rear wheels which I believe improves the look of the wheels in the arches significantly.

I have not noticed any difference in the roadholding capabilities but nothing beats a set of good quality tyres!

Regards, Ant 🐜 

Screenshot_20230409_005039_eBay.thumb.jpg.e1722ac7baf021e335ae68bdfffd66eb.jpg

Thanks Ant, good price too for your spacers, considerably less than my 30mm H & R ones 🙄. Would like a photo of yours to see how they look and I’ll be posting mine once fitted. 

On 4/9/2023 at 1:12 PM, Nexus7 said:

Thanks Ant, good price too for your spacers, considerably less than my 30mm H & R ones 🙄. Would like a photo of yours to see how they look and I’ll be posting mine once fitted. 

And now both Anthonys have got me thinking I need spacers…..

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2023 at 10:30 AM, Perry Mahoney said:

And now both Anthonys have got me thinking I need spacers…..

I’m still awaiting delivery ( nearly a month now! Though to be fair they’re coming from Germany) of my H & R spacers ( 25 & 30mm - front rear respectively) and was even thinking of cancelling and ordering an alternative until I did further research and I read this which definitely reassured me that I had made the best choice and might help you or others if deciding to take the plunge:-

https://www.carnoisseur.com/blog/h-and-r-wheel-spacers

On 4/9/2023 at 12:57 AM, Lexiguy said:

I have fitted 25mm spacers to the rear wheels which I believe improves the look of the wheels in the arches significantly.

I have not noticed any difference in the roadholding capabilities but nothing beats a set of good quality tyres!

Regards, Ant 🐜 

Screenshot_20230409_005039_eBay.thumb.jpg.e1722ac7baf021e335ae68bdfffd66eb.jpg

Continuing my  ‘copy-what-Anthony-has-tested-first’  mode of operation, this morning I received and fitted the exact Chinese boot struts you posted about a while back.
I have now ordered a set of these spacers from the same online seller.  Despite their comparatively low price, you haven’t reported any issues/crashed/burned or skidded into a ravine, etc. so I’m assuming they’re ok 😄

• Haha 1

I wasn’t planning on cooking the brakes 🤣, but olive oil is of course a very versatile lubricant and would definitely be a good alternative  

However, I didn’t see your original suggestion about lithium grease ( perhaps added shortly after posting?), I do already have some of that so I’ll be using that for sure. 

Thanks again 👍

Edited by Nexus7

On 5/1/2023 at 6:20 PM, Malc1 said:

Virgins stuff only .  surely  😇

Malc

I didn't think you would rememer that (ancient history!)

Ant😂

• Like 1

I’ve now fitted the 30mm & 20mm H & R spacers and am so pleased that I did! It’s hard to describe the difference it’s made but I can only describe it as feeling more “planted” and steers better too - and I’m only talking about normal driving as I don’t  drive the car hard so I’m unaware if that is improved also. I also know it’s not my imagination or wishful thinking either so am a little surprised this hasn’t been mentioned by anyone else who’s fitted them. Of course I realise those who have fitted variations like 25/25, 20/20, 30/25 may not be as noticeable on other setups.

All I can say is that I can certainly vouch for these sizes as a worthwhile improvement. 

I’m not posting photos yet because I’m still in the process of refurbishing my alloys ( see my separate post on that) and want to show how good they look once done. I will add them in due course but the unreliable weather is preventing it for what looks like the next two weeks😳

• 3 weeks later...

Just fitted the 25mm rear spacers and used a light coating of lithium grease between the hub and spacer as recommended above.  Looks much better now. For comparison, the pics show the offside rear wheel after fitting and the nearside before.  

7E0F7D1B-3A35-4336-AD8D-3D5D4B695B3E.jpeg

FA0A1945-4C09-477A-A8AA-4D5284674B23.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Perry, looks much better doesn’t it? I used lithium grease also and torqued the nuts to the required amount. (80ftlbs I think from memory), so am confident all is well. 

Have you noticed a slightly different feel/ improvement to the steering as I did? I continue to notice it even now. So not only looks better but feels better too. 

Anthony

Yes,I’m very pleased with the new look.  I’ve only driven it around the block so far, just to check there’s no wheel wobble or rubbing.  I need to go for a run and can then re-torque the spacers. 

I would like to think that it makes an improvement with handling but with certainty, cosmetically it is impressive!

Excellent pics👍

It is also an upgrade that with the use of a torque wrench any newbie to car diy could carry out.

Anthony

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dr Philip said:

Has anybody reported to their insurance companies this modification? if so, what was the result?

Philip

It will depend on the limitations of the insurance policy/company. Some allow modifications and charge a small premium and some don't allow any. I list all of my mods to find the best quote and recently (probably due to old age) it seems to make very little difference. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Neil E said:

It will depend on the limitations of the insurance policy/company. Some allow modifications and charge a small premium and some don't allow any. I list all of my mods to find the best quote and recently (probably due to old age) it seems to make very little difference. 

I have notified my insurance company change of wheels, exhaust and throttle controller and it was only the throttle controller that increased the price by about £20.  I had real trouble trying to get them to understand what the throttle controller did. I have a combined policy with my RX and with both of them the increase was about £300 in May this year for both but that was with the extra they charge you to ay monthly.

• Like 2

I'm a naughty boy , I tell my insurance no modifications , I would just say that's how I bought the car and thought it was all standard 😂

My car was written off a month after I bought it and the insurance didn't question anything,  in fact the assessor spent about 30 seconds looking at the car , basically just looked at the milage .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links