Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ARE ROOF RAILS INTERCHANGEABLE BETWEEN YEARS

We have a 2009 SEL with sunroof and roof rails fitted.

We want to PX our car for a younger one or similar age car with lower mileage so would like to transfer our rails to the new car.

I know from the Lexus parts advice that we cannot use rails with a pano roof.

does anyone know if the rails on all model years are the same? or if not when did the rails change?

thanks for any help

Rob

I bought Roof rails and Cross bars for my RX450h from Parts Direct which means Lexus Swindon.

The instructions that came with both types are pictorial.

The roof rail details are headed ;-  Roof Rails

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

RX 350/450h

Model year  2008

Vehicle code G*L15*-AW*GKW

Part number 08301-48800

Manual reference number: AIM001 657-0

The cross bars are shown as:-        RX 450h / RX 350 

Cross Bars

Installation instructions

Model year 2009

Vehicle code G*L15-AW*GKW

Part number PZ403-K0622-00

Weight 5.0kg

Manual reference number AIM 001 259-1

Interesting that the year for the Roof rails is shown as 2008 whereas the Cross bars is 2009,  yet both show the same vehicle code.

I made the following notes .

Do NOT dispose of removed fittings as Lexus suggest but store these as next buyer may not want roof rails.

Replacement bolts that come with rail are longer with 12 bolt heads rather than original 10's.  New gaskets are included.

It's not clear from Instructions that closures only for plastic end caps should be in place before rail is bolted onto roof.  The top covers can then be snapped into place.

NB.  I don't think these are suitable for the 4th Generation

3 hours ago, Tezza 2 said:

hi

interested to know how much you paid and how easy they were to fit

cheers

Sorry, I can't remember but the rails were under the going rate Lexus dealers were advertising at the time which if I correctly recall was £350.  As I bought the cross bars too, Lexus Parts Direct did me a special deal which included free postage.

This was at the time when Lexus Parts Direct gave a better discount.  I don't know whether this was just for Gold Members.  In any event in due course I subsequently received a general notification from Lexus Parts Direct saying they were reducing the amount of discount they were giving us on parts.  The reason given for this was that Trade Accounts complained we were getting the same prices as them.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, Lexus Parts Direct do have promotions for certain parts/accessories at specially reduced prices occasionally, so always worth a check.

Rails easy to fit if you have the longer bolts (assume silicon would serve as gasket but needs to be done well).  If the Plastic caps are stressed I think they would suffer damage but can be snapped into place easily.

When you buy new you get all parts you need (including longer bolts) together with pictorial instructions.  The latter are not brilliant tbh, for example,  Figure 6 shows an exclamation mark inside a triangle and beside it x4 so I didn't work out the significance of this.  Shown are parts to be binned but I suggest are kept in case next buyer prefers to remove rails.  It's not difficult to add rails when you have parts and instructions.  Torque wrench is needed to tighten bolts to 34 Nm shown.   Maximum roof weight is given as 75 Kg. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links