Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance Payout

Damer

After car was stolen last week, after the house was broken into and both keys, from different rooms were taken I now have a settlement figure from insurance co. They have offered my what I paid for it 3 years ago. I think that is pretty good going, no depreciation in 3 years.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Damer said:

After car was stolen last week, after the house was broken into and both keys, from different rooms were taken I now have a settlement figure from insurance co. They have offered my what I paid for it 3 years ago. I think that is pretty good going, no depreciation in 3 years.

Not bad, but still does not cover the need to replace at todays prices and the attack on your home.

Best wishes.

House insurance covered cost of new locks on the house, and the relatively small amount of cash that was taken. They left my watch (how rude!), cash cards laptops etc.

I currently cannot drive for the foreseeable future, due to epilepsy. Whilst wife really liked the car she is adamant she doesn't want another Lexus. Back when I had my first IS200, thieves tried to drill the locks off it. Then I disturbed thieves trying to break in forcing the window, with a spade. The second IS200, they tried to use hook and cane to get in the house, but again I disturbed them. The RX300 didn't attract the same attention, nor did successive Infiniti's. 

The Mini Cooper we had also got targeted, since sold that.

She is worried we will be targeted again if we get another Lexus. 

I was considering a relatively cheap high mileage Range Rover as an interim for 12 months but she says it is too large. 

So I think it will be a cheap run around until I can drive again. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Moleman said:

Not bad, but still does not cover the need to replace at todays prices and the attack on your home.

Best wishes.

Yes, the settlement seems pretty fair.
I’m not aware of any motor policy that will offer ‘replacement as new’.  If it did, no doubt the premiums would reflect the risk!

Depreciation is a fact of car ownership, in most cases.

On the other hand, my Household Insurance does offer that.  When the Laurel & Hardy of Appliances Direct install a new dishwasher and scratched the 15-year old laminated kitchen floor, my Insurers paid for a like-for-like new replacement.  

But they are taking action to reclaim the payout from Appliances Direct.  So no cost to me.

It was 3 years old but had only done 16k miles. So no depreciation in 3years I think is pretty good.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Damer said:

I was considering a relatively cheap high mileage Range Rover as an interim for 12 months but she says it is too large. 

So I think it will be a cheap run around until I can drive again. 

Range Rovers are a bigger target than Lexus for theft.

• Like 1

Your insurance company is decent.

Then again, you must live in a neighbourhood rather dangerous since you have had so many cars broken into.

Which car, that is comfortable and not very large, nor over-expensive that is not in the eyes of crooks?

Peugeot 308 – 2008 - Dacia Sandero - VW Golf – Škoda – Seat - Toyota Corolla.

All of these are decent cars, that are pretty reliable and maybe so common that the one you have will not be more sought after than the same car your neighbour has.

Not in same class as a good CT, but in my eyes OK to drive and to be transported in from one place to another.

Hope you get well soon.

• Like 1

So glad you are not getting a Range Rover!  Horrid, cash cow of a vehicle. You certainly had a bad run of car thefts.  Why not have a look at the the Yaris?  Hope all goes well for in the future.

• Like 2

It's the first time they have actually got the car. The other incidents were over a period of around 15 years. The new car will be up to the wife, she is paying for it. I can't drive. So I am going to bank the money for when I can drive again and maybe buy myself a silly middle aged crisis car.

2 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Then again, you must live in a neighbourhood rather dangerous since you have had so many cars broken into.

Which car, that is comfortable and not very large, nor over-expensive that is not in the eyes of crooks?

All of these are decent cars, that are pretty reliable and maybe so common that the one you have will not be more sought after than the same car your neighbour has.

Not in same class as a good CT, but in my eyes OK to drive and to be transported in from one place to another.

Hope you get well soon.

I wouldn't recommend a Peugeot 308, personal experience, that was a money pit, but that was related to the Prince engine, not sure if they are the same these days 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Hope you get well soon.

I must admit how quickly they have dealt with it impressed me. The only things they haven't agreed to pay is for a courtesy car (it wasn't included in my policy), and cost of retaining my cherished plate that was on it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thar said:

I wouldn't recommend a Peugeot 308, personal experience, that was a money pit, but that was related to the Prince engine, not sure if they are the same these days 

Experience from when living in Africa and driving on roads that would not be called roads here and seeing very few Peugeots stranded, I suppose they could be called reliable. Peugeot has had electrical problems when the 106 Rally was new (around 1990 I think) because the common ground (negative) was placed just under the headlights and in cold wet countries that made the dashboard a lightshow with blinking lamps. The newer ones seems to not have that problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if I am boring people on this topic. 

I actually got my insurance settlement, they settled the finance and I got the residual amount. 

It was within 3 weeks, which surprised/impressed me. 

I also now have a V5 for the Car with the original plate, so I can put my cherished plate on retention.  

I have also cancelled all road tax payments so hopefully this will make it the car unsaleable to any one else.

It should red flag on any ANPR for false plates, no tax, no insurance. Even a fake V5 will not have the right VIN number?

The scrotes who took it have caused no end of stress.

I think having a cherished plate has helped because it will stand out like a sore thumb. 

I hope they catch the scrotes, but I know I will never see the car again.

Disc 1 from "Before the Dawn" was in the player or glove box. Which has some of my favourite Kate Bush songs. Also "Back in Black - AC/DC".

I am still trying to decide on a replacement. I can no longer for medical reasons drive but Wife loved the car and wants an automatic, hybrid. She only does around 30 miles a week but likes all the toys from the Lexus and Infiniti's that we have had. Recommendations appreciated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Damer said:

I am still trying to decide on a replacement. I can no longer for medical reasons drive but Wife loved the car and wants an automatic, hybrid. She only does around 30 miles a week but likes all the toys from the Lexus and Infiniti's that we have had. Recommendations appreciated.

If wife is used to driving the CT and want a hybrid automatic again, another CT would probably be the best I can think of. Wife was the one that saw a white CT and said she like it, so that is what we drive. She likes to drive it. Lexus did not have a white, so it was a blue we got. Probably easier to not see dirt on.

The one we have is doing what it is supposed to and no problems with it. Only tyres and windshield wipers have been replaced on it, so it is difficult to fault the car.

Just had new tyres on it and compared to the OEM Pirelli P7, the new Continental UltraContact are a blessing, half the noise inside the car and far better handling and not more expensive than the ones Lexus would have put on them, Yokohama something. Now waiting to see if the B rating for fuel economy is much better than the C rating that the Pirelli tyres have.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 11:32 AM, Moleman said:

Range Rovers are a bigger target than Lexus for theft.

article on last night's BBC London news confirming this, no mention of Lexus!

On 5/13/2023 at 8:06 PM, Damer said:

It should red flag on any ANPR for false plates, no tax, no insurance. Even a fake V5 will not have the right VIN number?

Not sure I'd count on that. My mate (in Surrey) had a scooter stolen recently, unbelievably the insurance refused a payout, Police were well aware, month later he gets a letter from Kent Police threatening him with court action for non settlement of speeding fine, the thieving little c**ts hadn't even bothered to change his plates and were snapped by a speed camera - not sure what's worse - failing to register the theft, or failing to send him a notification before threatening legal action!  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links