Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Does anyone here have one? My second-gen IS250 is getting a bit floppy now, but I like the powertrain so much — the 300H doesn't really float my boat. And the 200T is not much appreciated on here, it seems

How about just getting newer mk2? Because to be fair the only advantage going for mk3 is the looks, maybe slightly updated infotainment (although I personally believe it is even worse to use than mk2 in terms of ergonomics), yet mk2 with with aftermarket Android system is probably better. Apart of that mk3 IS250 will be slower, less fuel efficient and more expensive to tax despite being fundamentally the same car. I know exactly what you mean when saying IS300h doesn't "float the boat" and I felt the same... hence my mistake going for 200t... but 300h does make economical sense with £20 road tax. That said you will be spending £6000 more than decent mk2 for what is in my opinion is less of a car, and even then only assuming you go for at least Premier or F-Sport, other trims of mk3 are really poorly equipped to the point where some trims in early 2013 cars you don't even get keyless entry (that was standard across the range in mk2). Likewise on mk2 you get very decent 13 speaker audio system standard, on mk3 you MUST go for at least premium (10-speakers), else you getting 6-speaker stereo from 80s Allegro (exageration obviously, but for modern car it is horrendous, even similar year Ford Fiesta has better standard audio). You think that if the car has screen it must have sat nav... well think again, this was as well optional. Like honestly with mk3 Lexus went hard on stripping lower trims very bare to justify the premium going to the upper trims in the range. I do understand why... because nobody was paying £2000 for ML, when on mk2 even standard system was pretty much comparable.

mk2 IS250 was very good and competitive car when it launched, but honestly by 2013 it was dated and they have absolutely nothing to improve mk3 IS250. You can pretty much consider it as facelift, looks more modern, but everything else stayed exactly the same, suspension, engine, gearbox etc. Exactly same stuff as in 2005 model...

And by the way I am not exactly hating on mk3... obviously if I had a choice to buy mk3 for the same price as mk2, I would go for mk3... or even if it is let's say £2000 more... but when the difference is literally double the price for basically the same car it is really hard to justify it. As well note that mk3 IS250 are very rare (like 5 for sale) so you inevitably paying extra to get one over IS300h which are simply better price because there is more choice/competition. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MartinH said:

Does anyone here have one? My second-gen IS250 is getting a bit floppy now, but I like the powertrain so much — the 300H doesn't really float my boat. And the 200T is not much appreciated on here, it seems

Well as you can see Martin, I have one.  But I’m not too sure what your question is.  I doubt you’ll get a better analysis of the IS250 than Linus has just provided.  

Personally I prefer the look of the 3rd Gen and the V6 is a joy to use.  I’m told the Mark Levinson system is outstanding - it’s certainly better than my hearing.   Linus mentioned the satnav - which I would say is an embarrassment.  I always use my Garmin.

The sunroof was a £1K extra when new, but brightens up the interior enough to be worth looking out for.  I’ve tried the paddle shift, but frankly the autobox is so good that it’s simply more relaxing to leave it to look after the changes.

I think the paddles can be useful if you want to change down for steep hills.  But we don’t have too many of them in Northamptonshire!

There is a ‘Sport’ mode to switch to if you want to feel you’re going quicker, but I regard mine as being a comfortable, relaxing cruiser that can be driven in a brisk manner that feels very secure.

The only significant changes I made were to upgrade the main headlight bulbs and the reversing light bulb, which I thought were all a bit inadequate.

I don’t honestly know how much all this differs from the IS models you’re familiar with.  If there’s anything specific that I can answer, don’t hesitate to ask.  Ultimately, I guess your choice is going to be decided by your budget.

If it’s any guide, the Lexus dealer keeps approaching me trying to interest me in a new Lexus, but there’s simply nothing in the range that I feel is better than the one I already have.

So good luck with your search.

Thanks for the input gents! IS3 is for sure not well equipped until you get to the Premier model, which is what I would look for. And tho that model has ML as standard (I think), few also have the moonroof, both of which my IS2 has.

I think I'd be lucky to find another, newer IS2 with those extras, that has a complete dealer service record from new, as mine does; and if I did it's likely, as Linus points out, to be overpriced. Besides which, I am slightly superstitious about replacing like with like. I've done it twice before, both times a disappointment.

So better the devil you know, I guess?

14 hours ago, LenT said:

The only significant changes I made were to upgrade the main headlight bulbs and the reversing light bulb, which I thought were all a bit inadequate.

The poor lights on the IS2 are one reason to consider IS3. No matter how much you polish them, those old lights get dim again pretty quick. But there's plenty of correspondence on that in other threads. 

Hi Martin. What do you mean your is250 is getting floppy? If you mean the suspension is getting worn out then simply replace the suspension. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 1:11 AM, LenT said:

I’ve tried the paddle shift, but frankly the autobox is so good that it’s simply more relaxing to leave it to look after the changes.

I think the paddles can be useful if you want to change down for steep hills.

And that is the shame to be honest. Because mk3 IS250 is identical to mk2 in this aspect, both have A960E gearbox... which is decent 6-speed auto, but paddles don't do much. They are okey to do some engine breaking, but else kind of limited. And this is why I said Lexus did nothing to improve the car.

In IS350 they improved the engine (added Atkinson cycle), so it is 10% more efficient when cruising, as well they have replaced A760E (stronger version of A960E) with IS-F derived AA81, meaning paddles actually do work. IS200t as well got same gearbox and IS200t got IS350 brakes kit. IS250 got nothing - identical engine, identical power, identical gearbox... Lexus really didn't even try. That doesn't mean it is bad... it is just hard to expect for the car to sell and be successful when since ~2003 they made no changes to design (mk2 was launched in 2005, but it's sister car Mark-X was launched in 2003 with 4GR-FSE). 

I do believe Lexus could have given same treatment to IS250 - 8-Speed fast shifting auto, slightly revised engine with maybe 10 more horses and slightly more economical... brakes from IS350 and the car would be "brought up-to date". But clearly Lexus decided that by 2013 IS200t should replace IS250, not even sure why they bothered to bring IS250 to the market (perhaps had stock of engines to use?!). Kind of "missed opportunity" in my opinion. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 6:09 AM, Mr Vlad said:

Hi Martin. What do you mean your is250 is getting floppy? If you mean the suspension is getting worn out then simply replace the suspension. 

Well clearly the suspension is not what it once was, though the steering was greatly improved by the recent replacement of the track-rod end rubbers. It's more that the bodywork is a bit floppy, as happens to all cars that are regularly driven I think? Though that is relative — IS2 starts from a pretty high base of mechanical integrity.

I agree with @Linas.P about the paddles. I do sometimes use manual hold, but use the stick for this, which works nicely, a habit inherited from the two V6 Camrys previously owned.

I took it out on a solo trip today, for once able to see the speedo in the red if you know what I mean. It felt great.

Bodywork a bit floppy? I've Never Ever experienced that in Any car I've had. Oh my car history started with BL Rover cars which have a dodgy manufacturing history lol. 

I really haven't a clue what you're on about with your car. You sure you're not getting bored with it or something? Geez I'm in my 60's and I've never heard the term my cars Bodywork is floppy.

Oh I see redline in my car regularly 😁

• Like 1

It takes effort to keep car in the best condition... sometimes it is just economical to do it. My old IS when it was around 160k miles was as well little bit beaten-up. When I bought it it had scratch on one corner of the bumper, then somebody bumped into into the rear when parked, then I hit oversized speedhump and damaged front lip, then some idiot changed the lane and and scratched my front bumper, then I myself in the dark and during the lane scratched the pillar in underground parking, then somebody shot bb gun to one of the panels etc. etc. and the car really looked sorry at one point. The car was worth maybe £3000 and it was hard decision and I took it abroad to get repainted for like £2000. But it was either that or sell it for scraps, because cosmetically it looked shaite. Original wheels were as well peeling... so I got set of mk3 F-Sport wheel for another £600... and after that near 200k miles car still looked perfect. 

But I guess that is what OP means - it was long time, many small cosmetic issues adds-up and car just looks tired. It is possible to avoid it by always fixing everything right away, but when you have daily driven car sometimes you push things for later and overtime it accumulates and then eventually you have high mileage car which requires full respray and it is not economical to do. But at the same time it is not like it can't be fixed... it is just a matter of money.

Where we used to live, in inner London, was close to the Kilburn High Road so our street was like a supermarket car park. I did have all the little dings and scrapes repaired a few years ago so the paint doesn't look too bad for an 07. The wheels look like hell and the front tyres are losing pressure because the bead seal is compromised so they're all going for a refurb next week. I might have the workshop polish the car too.

By 'floppy' I mean the way the body works — all good flying along the A303, but groaning rather at the stress of the deeply potholed Somerset lanes, where poverty-spec 16" wheels might make more sense.

Hoping the is250 will be one of those cars that don't seem to die.

Hate spending money on cars nowadays and dont see the point in splashing out lots on a 3rd generation petrol V6 when we are getting pushed into driving eco cars.

Gona make mine last as long as possible, if that means swapping the suspension or whatever than i will, cheaper than a new motor. After that will join the milk float brigade.

We all different though, just my opinion

• Like 1

Cheaper than a new motor, indeed! And attracts no attention from thieves — these Canbus thefts seem to be quite a thing lately. Trouble with EV is once you're on the treadmill, it's replacement every couple of years, just like a mobile phone. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links