Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Trip + Range = 500+ Miles

IMG_0405.thumb.JPG.5c1fbfa1d01cbf3e0b612378a31d91d0.JPG

This isn't something I've managed to achieve too often in my 2014 3rd gen RX, but as I'm dragging my overall MPG up (now at an indicated 35.1) and the weather is getting warmer, helped by some longer journeys, it's happening more often.

Ever since I started driving I've always reset the trip meter when I fill up, and that's usually my guide as to when I should next stop for fuel. As I go through the tank I then add that to the cruising range to see what it's predicting. It's starting me off at something like 460-465 miles, but as I drive around at better than 35 then I get closer to the 500 miles figure.

I try not to go too near empty, the total usually starts dropping again as I get towards the next fill-up. But to see this figure of 500 at some point is pleasing enough.

I have filled-up again since the above shot. When I parked-up it was showing just over 40MPG and 502 miles trip + range, and I think the highest total I've seen so far is 503. Can I make it to 510?

My journeys are a mix of Norfolk/Suffolk A-roads, country lanes, towns and villages and the odd bit of dual carriageway. I don't drive particularly slowly, I've found the trick is to carry speed and use any opportunity to lift my foot just slightly. It's surprising how often it will maintain speed with next to no throttle. With that info screen I can then easily see what's happening (more so then the energy screen, or the main dial). The bars are a quick indication of how I've been doing.

Tyres are Continental All Seasons all round at 2.3, and the AC is on all the time. I'm usually using E10 fuel, often from the supermarket. Occasionally I give it some E5 but my journeys aren't consistent enough to see if it makes any great difference - perhaps I'll try again on the next fill-up. I had new plugs at the last big service (60k) and the mileage is now approaching 70,000.

I don't obsess about this (honest!), it's just something to keep me engaged as I drive around on the work commute, meeting/survey visits etc. As a comparison, my wife's 2010 Toyota Auris 1.6 (non-hybrid) gets around 42-43MPG on similar journeys.

I'm sure a newer RX would be even nicer and maybe a touch more ecomonical, but I'm happy to keep this one while it continues to do this and offer such comfortable, relaxing and capable transport.

• Like 4

What a great post, Nigel.    And thank you for the detail!

Well-done, too.   My RX (same year, almost identical mileage - isn't achieving that mpg, though I suspect that the first mile from home is always uphill doesn't help! (and I tend to drive it on Sport mode too!)

Like you, I consciously let the car carry the speed, and not the right foot, and aim to never come to a stop at traffic lights, but a rolling approach is always better for mpg. (currently 34.5)

I've convinced myself that E5 produces a better mpg than E10 by between 4 & 5%, and so use that whenever I can find it at a similar cost premium to E10.

• Like 2

That is really excellent Nigel but I see you are in Norfolk which is comparatively flat, certainly compared to Devon where I am which is very hilly.   Then there are so many other factors that can make a difference among them, rolling resistance of tyres and tyre pressures, passenger and cargo load, length of journeys and particularly frequency of cold starts, ambient temperatures and weather conditions, percentage of time you are in optimum speed efficiency range, octane rating  and how hard you drive.  So it's inevitable that drivers with get variable results.

When I bought mine with just under 40K miles on it, the mpg was showing 31.2mpg in the Cheltenham area from memory and this was in winter.  Down in Devon I usually get about 27 in the winter and about 29 in the summer  but this includes quite a number of short journeys. Best I had was in the summer on a long journey where I got 38mpg.  I do drive up to speed limits (road conditions permitting) and almost as hard as on my 3 litre Beamer but making allowing a small degree of moderation for the hybrid RX.  This is well worth it for the comfort the car gives but I would not make a great compromise to achieve maximum mpg all the time at the expense of driving satisfaction., especially as I only have low annual mileage these days.

I am sure I could improve significantly on MPG with an NX which would be fine for short  and moderate length journeys. (I did test one for a day).  However, the extra comfort of the RX on the occasional long journeys makes for just a little less strain on my problematic back, so I will probably stay with my 3 Gen RX450h for quite some time yet.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links