Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus has a Fatal Security Flaw

3 hours ago, retep2311 said:

Hi,

Just experienced this impact due to the poor security solution on my 1 year old Lexus RX. Insurance went from £500 to £2500 per year and wasn't easy to get insurance at all. My question has anyone written to Lexus regarding a possible claim for a latent defect as surely the car should be able to be insured without these excessive costs. I wasn't told at the time of purchase of this issue and insured easily it was only on the renewal I was informed of the issue and refused insurance from many. Always had new lexus for 20 years but will never buy again as not even been notified of the issue by Lexus - which is strange.

Welcome to the forums. You’re new member number 3 this week discussing security - on the positive side you’ve still got your Lexus - the other two new members haven’t!

RX owners can have steel plates fitted free of charge but it won’t stop someone ripping your bumper to bits - contact your dealer for their invisible steel plate ‘solution’ as they don’t seem to give two hoots about advertising it.
Actually, don’t contact them. Go into your dealer in person on a Saturday and ask in a very loud voice next to the sales desks what they’re going to do about the problem. Then ask Lexus customer services why a recall hasn’t been issued. Then get on social media and ask them the same question. Then get your 4 figure insurance renewal and pay through the nose for Lexus UKs lackadaisical attitude to their customers. Then get an immobiliser fitted at a cost to you of several hundred pounds. Then get your bumper ripped off anyway. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, eightk said:

Welcome to the forums. You’re new member number 3 this week discussing security - on the positive side you’ve still got your Lexus - the other two new members haven’t!

RX owners can have steel plates fitted free of charge but it won’t stop someone ripping your bumper to bits - contact your dealer for their invisible steel plate ‘solution’ as they don’t seem to give two hoots about advertising it.
Actually, don’t contact them. Go into your dealer in person on a Saturday and ask in a very loud voice next to the sales desks what they’re going to do about the problem. Then ask Lexus customer services why a recall hasn’t been issued. Then get on social media and ask them the same question. Then get your 4 figure insurance renewal and pay through the nose for Lexus UKs lackadaisical attitude to their customers. Then get an immobiliser fitted at a cost to you of several hundred pounds. Then get your bumper ripped off anyway. 

If it's 12 months old would it not be a Series 5 with encrypted canbus and therefore not vulnerable to wheelarch hack?

9 minutes ago, JapFanMan2021 said:

If it's 12 months old would it not be a Series 5 with encrypted canbus and therefore not vulnerable to wheelarch hack?

I think series 5 was not available till Feb 23

24 minutes ago, Neilo said:

Never seen that written before 😊

It’s in the dictionary - look for ‘Lexus attitude to security flaws’ - it’s right there 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Morning All, well my 2022 RX now has the canbus plates fitted as of this morning. 

Re insurance quotes, whilst I was sitting in the showroom a chap picked up a 73 plate RX for a 48 hour test drive. I noted the reg and have just compared quotes . My lowest quote on a £42k 2022 RX is about £950. The quote for the brand new £70k model he took out was £536. 

Until Lexus encrypt the can bus and publicise that, every one affected will be faced with ever increasing insurance costs. 

Oh and For ES owners, my dealer mentioned they had / can adapt the plates for the ES from the RX ones. Maybe if you are an ES owner you should be enquiring. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, fezman said:

Morning All, well my 2022 RX now has the canbus plates fitted as of this morning. 

Re insurance quotes, whilst I was sitting in the showroom a chap picked up a 73 plate RX for a 48 hour test drive. I noted the reg and have just compared quotes . My lowest quote on a £42k 2022 RX is about £950. The quote for the brand new £70k model he took out was £536. 

Until Lexus encrypt the can bus and publicise that, every one affected will be faced with ever increasing insurance costs. 

Oh and For ES owners, my dealer mentioned they had / can adapt the plates for the ES from the RX ones. Maybe if you are an ES owner you should be enquiring. 

Which dealer please?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links