Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Crit'air Sticker for France

Option A:

Search online for what towns/cities have a Crit'air requirement. Search for how it gets enforced, whether they use cameras, police checks or wardens, and whether they issue on the spot fines for foreigners. Decide that you can either bypass the relevant towns, or take a chance that you won't get caught. Sit with fingers crossed every time you subsequently visit France, wondering if you breached the regulations on your last visit, and are now on some database and about to face a massive fine. Discuss on various online forums what might or might not happen under any worse case scenario.

Option B:

Fill out simple online form, pay 4 euros, put sticker on windscreen, and never give it another thought.

• Like 1

With Option A I can help you:

Paris
Annecy
Chambery
Arve Valley
Côte d’Or/Dijon
Creuse/Guéret 
Deux-Sèvres/Niort
Drôme/Valence
Eure-et-Loir/Chartres
Gers/Auch
Gironde/Bordeaux
Grenoble
Haute-Savoie/Annecy
Hérault/Montpelier
Isère/Grenoble
Lille
Loiret/Orléans
Lyon
Maine-et-Loire
Marseille
Puy-de-Dome/Clermont Ferrand
Pyrénées-Atlantiques
Rennes
Savoie/Chambery
Strasbourg
Toulouse
Vendée/La Rouche-sur-Yon
Vienne/Poitiers

Although caveat is that they could set-up ad-hoc zone at any time anyway anywhere, and you can be sure that if it is ad-hoc, then they will be monitoring it. Vultures are vultures in any country. 

I guess the downside for Option B - is that you need to know to order it in advance, or that you even need to order it at all. 

Option C - just ignore it and then ignore the fines and see how it works out 😄 

On 6/11/2023 at 10:25 AM, Malc1 said:

that's a brilliant good outcome from Brexit then ✌️

Malc

I think Brexit has nothing to do with it: I don't think that even within the EU, an authority of a member state can force a citizen of another state to pay a fine issued in its territory. In other words Germans getting fines in Spain or France or another EU country are not forced to pay them and I don't even think that they receive any fine by post back to their homes in Germany and the same applies, I think, to citizens of other EU countries.  

Not really... some countries have bilateral agreements to enforce the fines. For example France and Switzerland/Andorra/Liechtenstein/Monaco as well as Spain and Portugal, I believe similar exists between Germany and Austria. So if you are French, driving French car in Switzerland you will get the fine same as if you had fine in France and vice versa. 

For other countries that don't have bilateral agreements the case is rather simple, they make application as any mortal for the driver information and get that information, then they can enforce via local courts system. Now granted - when the request is made by the police of another country it is assumed to be valid and get dealt quickly, although things like parking fines probably never gets enforced. Some countries do not sell driver information at all in which case enforcement is impossible (unlike UK where DVLA would sell it to any fraudster as long as they get their damn £2), I don't remember which ones exactly but there are few. 

But you right, not a brexshaite "benefit" and nothing has changed at all. 

Steph hi. I bet you never thought when raising this issue that you’d incur the judicial views of all the European bodies that might want to give you a sodding fine ……. Dambable Clean Air Zones eh ! 

are you ok ? 

Q. so is anyone advising me that my 1995 Ls400 is now ok to drive into Paris  ? 

Malc 

8 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

but in 2 years it will be

is this a 40 year rule then .  like ULEZ charges avoided in the UK .  I think !  .  coz they're Classic Cars ?

BUT would i still need some sort of official receipt that it's exempt ?

Malc

It is 30 years in France, UK has worst classic cars regulations as far as I know, certainly worst in Europe. Most countries have 30 years, some have 35 years and only UK with 40 years.

Now as far as I understand it is not possible to get classic car exemption for foreign car, if you stopped by police I am sure they will be fine as they will see it is classic car and thus should be exempt, but you may still be caught by cameras... at which point I assume the process is to appeal the fine if you ever get one. 

• Like 1

It is pathetic (and sad) to see how some people persist in trying to see positives in a shoot-in-the-foot, taking imaginary sides, only not to admit they've been had (and ****** on), thus admiting failure to themselves.

Anyway, thanks for the insights of this thread. I still struggle to see how I have been all over (driving in cities and all, Toulouse included) and haven't been told anything about the sticker. Or even just crossing the channel.
How much was the sticker by the way, to those who just bought it ?

On 6/17/2023 at 10:38 AM, Spottedlaurel said:

Must remind daughter and BF to get one sorted, assuming they can for their Mk4 LS400.

Please keep us, well me anyway, updated with this

thanks

Malc

21 minutes ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

How much was the sticker by the way, to those who just bought it ?

mentioned in here somewhere it's  4 euros

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links