Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying my first Lexus soon - opinions on this purchase?

Congrats! When you have some time as a first DIY i recommend cleaning the hybrid Battery fan and filter. The dealers don't do it as part of any service and you'll be surprised at the stuff that comes out. Cleaning it will help extended the life of your battery 

Just now, Notamech said:

Congrats! When you have some time as a first DIY i recommend cleaning the hybrid battery fan and filter. The dealers don't do it as part of any service and you'll be surprised at the stuff that comes out. Cleaning it will help extended the life of your battery 

I saw a YouTube video on this. How difficult is it? 

47 minutes ago, ScottAdams86 said:

I saw a YouTube video on this. How difficult is it? 

Here is the post on this forum done by a forum member who does a lot of his own maintenance and shows how to get to and clean the fan and filter. I keep meaning to take a look at mine but at the moment I have no reduction in mpg - it's as good as it was when I got the car (it was 2 years old with 40k miles when I purchased it in 2016) and as reduced mpg seems to be a sign of a blocked filter, especially in hot weather and I have no issues, I have kept putting it off. Others who have undertaken this report anything from a rather dirty filter to nearly clean. A lot seems to depend on how the back seats are used and the amount of dirt, fluff etc. that may be present and sucked in as the inlet for the fan is at the side of the back seat (rhs looking forwards).

• Like 1

Its very easy to do. Even a beginner DIYer can do it. I kept putting it off too then finally took the plunge one day and am glad i did. All you need are plastic trim tools available on eBay and a ratchet with a socket set which i think most people have at home. If not get one its very useful. 

• Like 1

What's the average L/100km you think I should be seeing? I did the mpg conversion and most places online say mid 5s. I haven't seen it go below 7l/100km...

Another question is, do you know if I can buy a touch up pen for some rock chips on the side?

Tia

16 hours ago, Notamech said:

Congrats! When you have some time as a first DIY i recommend cleaning the hybrid battery fan and filter. The dealers don't do it as part of any service and you'll be surprised at the stuff that comes out. Cleaning it will help extended the life of your battery 

They've just told me at the Lexus garage that they check the filter as part of the Battery check! Happy days. 

2 hours ago, ScottAdams86 said:

What's the average L/100km you think I should be seeing? I did the mpg conversion and most places online say mid 5s. I haven't seen it go below 7l/100km...

Another question is, do you know if I can buy a touch up pen for some rock chips on the side?

Tia

Lexus sells original touch-up paint, so you only need to know which Lexus colour your car is

5 hours ago, ScottAdams86 said:

For the past year I've got 6.5l/100km on my R18. Now I'm doing long test avoiding e10 fuel. And so far I can say the difference is sensitive. But not in fuel cost.

8 hours ago, ScottAdams86 said:

What's the average L/100km you think I should be seeing? I did the mpg conversion and most places online say mid 5s. I haven't seen it go below 7l/100km..

It's pretty unlikely that you'll see 5l/100km. I think that's around 55 mpg (UK gallons) and while you might see that for a while on a long steady journey, my impresion is that it would be pretty unusual for long-term consumption over a whole year and all seasons.

This website spritmonitor.de shows that the average is around 6.5 l/100km (or around 44 mpg).

20 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

It's pretty unlikely that you'll see 5l/100km. I think that's around 55 mpg (UK gallons) and while you might see that for a while on a long steady journey, my impresion is that it would be pretty unusual for long-term consumption over a whole year and all seasons.

This website spritmonitor.de shows that the average is around 6.5 l/100km (or around 44 mpg).

My average over 8 years is 48mpg on the car computer (I do a lot of motorway miles) - I have seen up to 60mpg under ideal conditions - that's 20C air temp and driving at constant 40-50mph on flat roads. 

4 minutes ago, ScottAdams86 said:

Well it's around 42-43 degrees here in Mallorca recently! Let's see how it goes. Better than my previous Jeep Grand Cherokee 16mpg!

Yes air con will impact it

21 hours ago, ScottAdams86 said:

They've just told me at the Lexus garage that they check the filter as part of the battery check! Happy days. 

Don’t take their word for it and check it yourself.

On 7/14/2023 at 9:24 AM, ScottAdams86 said:

They've just told me at the Lexus garage that they check the filter as part of the battery check! Happy days. 

Unfortunately they don't in the UK. When I did mine judging by the stuff that came out I could tell it was never done. As someone else suggested they do clean it if the computer throws an error. When looking for cars i remember seeing one with 124k where it was done because there was an error "Hybrid cooling function low" message on the dash. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links