Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying my first Lexus soon - opinions on this purchase?

Hello everyone, I'm looking to buy this https://www.autohero.com/es/lexus-is-serie/id/e25d7a1e-95a9-47ad-8bab-5b2c91c2c9ee/ just wondering what people think about it. Is it a good deal? How long can i expect to use the car for? How long until I need to replace the Battery? Anything I should check for when going to view the car?

Thanks 

1116x744-d42f583840c74c7cae2dba04d006c6e3.jpg

The condition of the car and its service history are essential. As for the car I have always been very pleased with mine and have had no warranty or other issues. It is a comfortable well appointed car.

Hi Scott. I'm a little confused. Your profile states you're in London yet your looking to buy a left hand drive car from a European country. Care to clarify?

• Like 2

Cannot advise whenever it is good deal, because I don't know what are the car prices like in Mallorca. What I can say however is that you looking at very low speck model, it does not say in advert so it is hard to guess, but I assume this is SE trim or "non-trim". Not sure what are your expectations and again I don't know what are prices like and how it compares to decent trims like Premier or F-Sport, but this car will be extremely poorly equipped for Lexus, I can spot vinyl/cloth interior, so no leather, not even half-leather. As well it comes with horrendous audio system that even contemporary Ford Fiesta would laugh at. Again not sure those are issues for you - some people don't like leather, other people do not care about audio in the car as they only ever listen to radio.

I have slight suspicion this may be rental car, actually I have rented MB/BMW in Spain/Portugal and was greeted by Lexus IS300h, not sure how common they are in that area, but at least in my experience common... and they were all like that, grey + black and basic trims. 

In short - you looking at most basic spec. that these ever come out in.

• Like 1

Technical issues. There is so small info about maintainance. By the mileage I see that it's about the time to change brake discs and pads, both, front and rear. If the images are actual, it's clear about front - it is the time. About rear, the images are not clear. The same story about spark plugs and aircon service. If you won't find it a list of completed jobs, it's more likely you will have to do it soon after buy.

Right rear has a colour mismatch. Most likely had a serious body repair.

It is not leather. Yes Luxury is third worst trim no-trim>SE>Luxury>Exec>F-Sport>Premier. The rest of comments still applies, especially around audio. As I said depends on the market in Mallorca and your expectations, I would not touch anything below F-Sport and at least Premium Audio.

The sat-nav upgrade with android unit would be great addition of course, highly recommended.

2 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

It is not leather. Yes Luxury is third worst trim no-trim>SE>Luxury>Exec>F-Sport>Premier. The rest of comments still applies, especially around audio. As I said depends on the market in Mallorca and your expectations, I would not touch anything below F-Sport and at least Premium Audio.

The sat-nav upgrade with android unit would be great addition of course, highly recommended.

Where can I find android units online? Any highly recommended one? tia

1 hour ago, ScottAdams86 said:

It's the Luxury model all leather interior. I will try to upgrade the screen with android auto when I get it.

I think Linas is largely right - I have the original brochure from the launch era of the IS 300h (I've attached it to this message) - assuming the Luxury spec is same as it was in UK (though no guarantee of that) then you can see what it should have as standard - it was one step up from the base SE. The interior is classed as "Fabric upholstery with Tahara side bolsters" (which can be seen in the photos) - Tahara is synthetic leather though so it does not have leather upholstery (but the trimmings like steering wheel will be leather). Also no satnav (though that looks like that won't bother you) and the basic audio (6 speakers - which IMHO isn't actually that bad for general listening - my car has this - and we  used to have a Fiesta to compare it to...😅) Anyway, just as a point of reference my 2014 IS 300h has now done 134K miles (I bought it used in 2016 with 40K miles on it) and it still drives like new. Only major repair has been new front wheel bearings (at 80k miles) and I had the front discs/pads changed at the same time. Other than that just servicing according to schedule and tyres (which on mine last 40k miles at the front and 20k miles at the rear). The hybrid Battery is guaranteed for 15 years and unlimited mileage in the UK so long as a hybrid health check in undertaken by Lexus every 12 months / 10k miles - but not sure if you would have the same in Mallorca. Overall, if the car has been well looked after (serviced etc.) to date and all is well now, looked after then it should do many more miles.

1368722193Lexus_IS_Long_EN.pdf

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Digifant said:

Right rear has a colour mismatch. Most likely had a serious body repair.

Good spot on rear shunt. Whenever it was major damage, or just bumper job with poor blending it is hard to say. Carfax only going to show if it was "salvaged" and went trough insurance auction, if it was fixed by owner or insurance company and was not declared salvage then it won't show. That said getting carfax(facts?) or equivalent services is always recommended before spending 16,000 of your own Euros, I always do it even for cheap car, for £5 you will know all the details of the car and if not stolen or crashed it can still give you insight.

There is as well one missed service 12k>32k

9 minutes ago, ScottAdams86 said:

Where can I find android units online? Any highly recommended one? tia

They all comming from china anyway, so sadly you will have to suppress you morals and get something my by child labour. I would gladly pay more for decent system NOT made in china, but that does not exist. Even cheapest system will be 10 times better than what Lexus fitted, so there is no way to get it wrong. Apart of that you need to look at the system same way as if you would be buying tablet or laptop and compare the spec. do your own research, what has more RAM, ROM, what CPU, what android version etc. 

That the car has no GPS is not a problem as Lexus GPS is pretty bad or close to useless.

Audio if that is of importance to you, the MarkLevinson is first class.

If you want something to compare with try: https://www.coches.net/segunda-mano/?Fueltype2List=4&MinYear=2013&MaxYear=2015&MakeIds[0]=25&ModelIds[0]=883&Versions[0]=

8 minutes ago, ScottAdams86 said:

Thank you @wharfhouse I have a Lexus dealership and workshop here so I'll take it to them ASAP and see what they say. I have a 21 day money back guarantee so let's see. Should collect in July.

I wouldn't jump the gun so quickly considering rear-end damage, but that is you money and your decision. 

Have you considered or tried any other cars? I would highly recommend that, because now you just don't have any point of reference.

12 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

assuming the Luxury spec is same as it was in UK (though no guarantee of that) then you can see what it should have as standard - it was one step up from the base SE. The interior is classed as "Fabric upholstery with Tahara side bolsters" (which can be seen in the photos) - Tahara is synthetic leather though so it does not have leather upholstery (but the trimmings like steering wheel will be leather).

Also no satnav (though that looks like that won't bother you) and the basic audio (6 speakers - which IMHO isn't actually that bad for general listening - my car has this - and we  used to have a Fiesta to compare it to...😅

I tend to believe Luxury would be same, maybe had different optional equipment i.e. in UK some equipment is marked with "x" meaning you can't even opt for it, whereas in other countries it was available as optional. But base equipment would be the same. The difference then is only that in UK we had more trims which were not available in other countries - like Exec.

Regarding the speakers - that is what I said, it is okey for radio, but if you at all in the music I don't think it is acceptable. The sound is very "shallow" and lacks clarity, definition is literally "low", i.e. there is big crossover between base, mid and treble, so there are no highlights at all, everything becomes just mid. 

As for fiesta reference - 2013 fiesta had 10-Speakers Sony system as standard. Now that doesn't say much in itself as 10 speakers are not equal 10 speakers, but it was comfortably better than Lexus standard 6-speakers system. It is really shame that Lexus decided such system is even acceptable in premium car. Again it is not specifically amount of speakers, one can have amazing sounding system with 6 speakers and maybe sub, but Lexus one is just not it. There are well further complications if one would ever want to upgrade it as there are no other outputs that could be used to say add sub, or amplifier... so you will be stuck with 6 speakers unless you do extensive rework and replace everything. That said if you going for android head unit anyway, I believe there is option of having "optical out" and at that point you can connect anything you like and just ignore build in amp.

8 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

They all comming from china anyway, so sadly you will have to suppress you morals and get something my by child labour. I would gladly pay more for decent system NOT made in china, but that does not exist. Even cheapest system will be 10 times better than what Lexus fitted, so there is no way to get it wrong. Apart of that you need to look at the system same way as if you would be buying tablet or laptop and compare the spec. do your own research, what has more RAM, ROM, what CPU, what android version etc. 

Aliexpress?

4 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I wouldn't jump the gun so quickly considering rear-end damage, but that is you money and your decision. 

Have you considered or tried any other cars? I would highly recommend that, because now you just don't have any point of reference.

They are sending me a "traffic report" today. 

4 minutes ago, ScottAdams86 said:

Aliexpress?

Yeah - basically, although eBay sometimes have them with quicker shipping, locally and with option of returning and better customer protection... and price often is not that much different.

3 minutes ago, ScottAdams86 said:

Could you highlight the area where you see a colour mismatch? I don't see it.

Rear bumper and rear quarters - look at the difference between rear doors and the quarters primarily if you want to spot it.  

image.thumb.png.fbb1161d9a06e993d0dded8a7ea35f64.png

• Like 1

Re damage to that car. Basically there ISN'T any. It's the poor lighting in the studio where the photos were taken. All panel gaps are bang on.

As for upgrading to an android. Look in this 3rd gen IS section as I'm sure there are one or two threads on just this subject. 

It's good that you have a Lexus dealer nearby. By all means take the car there and get it booked in for a service and inspection. Ask about a service plan. A modest monthly cost for 3 years servicing. I don't know if there is a MOT test there where you are. 

With the car being a hybrid. Lexus have something called the Hybrid Health Check. This is a stand alone inspection of the traction batteries and motors. This is a yearly inspection but it keeps the Lexus guarantee going.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Re damage to that car. Basically there ISN'T any. It's the poor lighting in the studio where the photos were taken

Disagree - rear is clearly different shade, where reflection on the rear door and rear quarter should match. If anything - lighting in the protos is excellent, so it is not lighting issue. Again look to screen shot above and you can clearly see different reflection below the body line despite panels being in alignment. 

Quite simple issue here - when metallic paint is repainted it is very difficult to get same angle of metallic flakes as factory paint, so what usually happens is that they match paint colour, but not the angle at which flakes reflect and therefore it is very easy to spot repainted panels on metallic colours. That does not mean the car was in major accident or was poorly repaired, only that at least rear bumper and quarters on both sides were repainted, for all we know it may have been minor shunt to the back, or it may have been minor damage to wheel arches, but as well that they were repainted. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ScottAdams86 said:

Could you highlight the area where you see a colour mismatch? I don't see it.

Have a look on the car during the sunny weather by walking around at about 10-15m away from it. That will makes much more sense to you instead of watching images. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links