Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300h Grinding Noise from Window

Hi all

Another issue for me. Car is coming up to ten years old (Sept 2013) and is immaculate for its age. However, it’s getting expensive to do these fixes. I’m one who has opted not to go down the dealer route and therefore have their warranty.

Firstly, a new headlight needed last September. Then a new front bumper parking sensor failed. Air con is smelly at the moment. And now a grinding noise on the window. First two I sorted myself. Air con, TBC. This one, not sure.

Noise only occurs when winding window down, for the last three quarters (first quarter somewhat normal). Winding window up, no noise.

Was happy in taking the door apart myself to have a look but annoyingly, it needs a 12v Battery disconnect. I am afraid of this due to other posts in the forum.

I’m almost certain there’s nothing in there but happy to have a look.

Reading about, it seems it could be the plastic parts in the motor giving up the ghost. No idea if that’s true. Going by what I saw at the below link, and a few others I can no longer find.

Anyone else experienced this? I’ve not seen it posted here before. Search yields nothing. Any pointers appreciated.

Is250c Grinding

8 minutes ago, matt8 said:

Hi all

Another issue for me. Car is coming up to ten years old (Sept 2013) and is immaculate for its age. However, it’s getting expensive to do these fixes. I’m one who has opted not to go down the dealer route and therefore have their warranty.

Firstly, a new headlight needed last September. Then a new front bumper parking sensor failed. Air con is smelly at the moment. And now a grinding noise on the window. First two I sorted myself. Air con, TBC. This one, not sure.

Noise only occurs when winding window down, for the last three quarters (first quarter somewhat normal). Winding window up, no noise.

Was happy in taking the door apart myself to have a look but annoyingly, it needs a 12v battery disconnect. I am afraid of this due to other posts in the forum.

I’m almost certain there’s nothing in there but happy to have a look.

Reading about, it seems it could be the plastic parts in the motor giving up the ghost. No idea if that’s true. Going by what I saw at the below link, and a few others I can no longer find.

Anyone else experienced this? I’ve not seen it posted here before. Search yields nothing. Any pointers appreciated.

Is250c Grinding

Although not on a Lexus, I had a problem with electric windows going up and down on a previous car. To cure it, I thoroughly cleaned the glass and all the rubbers the glass came into contact with and then added some lubrication to the side channels the glass slides in. After this the window went up and down like new. It was all down to a build up of crud over the years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Although not on a Lexus, I had a problem with electric windows going up and down on a previous car. To cure it, I thoroughly cleaned the glass and all the rubbers the glass came into contact with and then added some lubrication to the side channels the glass slides in. After this the window went up and down like new. It was all down to a build up of crud over the years.

Thanks. That’s got to be the best place to start. A good clean up. 

Though this does sound like a mechanical grinding. But worth a shot anyway.

57 minutes ago, matt8 said:

Thanks. That’s got to be the best place to start. A good clean up. 

Though this does sound like a mechanical grinding. But worth a shot anyway.

Good luck - hope it does the trick.

• Thanks 1

Re Smelly AC this may help, put your windows down & dont sit in the car whilst doing this unless you want to get high. Run the air con & on the settings select outdoor air with the engine running spray this through the vents from outside the car (vents are below the wipers) Got the Idea from Scottykilmer youtube channel. Its a anti-bacterial spray. Dettol disinfectant spray in 20 seconds spray intervals 2-3x.

I did it initially & then the next day it seems to make the smell dissapear for about 12 months. For info The AC drain pipe is above the gearbox very difficult to access that may be blocked.

Also try replacing your pollen cabin filter its 5 min job inside the glove box passenger side.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/antibacterial-cleaning-spray-wipes/dettol-all-in-one-disinfectant-spray-crisp-linen/1000325879535?&cmpid=ppc-_-ghs-_--_-google-_--_-dskwid-_dm&s_kwcid=AL!11432!3!!!!x!!&gad=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8s23vt_h_wIVEIBQBh2CjADhEAQYBCABEgIFQfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

5011417577943_T1.webp

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, matt8 said:

And today I wake up and use the window. And the problem has vanished…

🤷‍♂️

It's cooler today (has it rained?) so possibly an expansion issue in the hotter drier weather? Cleaning window rubbers and lubricating the window guides is probably still worth doing as dirt build linked to being dry/hot is possibly still the culprit.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, matt8 said:

It has indeed rained!

I will certainly be doing the clean at some point. 

That's what I found with the car where I had this issue - if the window was wet it was less likely to have a problem - sounds like a good clean and lubrication may be all that is needed.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links