Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi, can anyone recommend a source for replacement gas struts for the boot lid of a 250 as captioned. I've done a forum search but can't seem to find the info I'm after (possible wrong search criteria though....).

Mine don't raise the lid when operating the opening function, either by the remote, of the in-cabin button. It unlocks the boot, but doesn't raise the lid which I've discovered is quite heavy.  Searching online gives a bewildering range of possibilities of all strengths/lengths.  YouTube gives instructional videos which seem quite straightforward but reports seem to indicate that the structs with the high(er) Nm specs can prevent the shut lines matching - I don't want ones which'll 'fling' the lid open at Mach 1.  :thumbdown:

Seems that around the 185Nm mark do the job adequately, but as I've no idea what the Lexus replacements are rated at, nor how expensive they'd be (inc 'Lexus tax') it's difficult to decide.  :unsure:

Any advice/links gratefully received.

Hi. My boot may as well have no dampers fitted, the boot slams with a vengeance unless you control it's decent until the final few inches, then drop it.

I have had a dig around and I can't see any part numbers on either of the struts. There is a warning label with some unhelpful English but the rest Japanese. 

Ebay have plenty, but all from cars of a similar age to mine (2008) which may or may not work.

I found http://www.sgs-engineering.com/car-boot-tailgate/lexus/is

The problem is they only have an IS300 as the model, not an IS250. The picture looks the same but I don't know if they are identical or not. 

Does anyone know either the part number for an IS250 boot strut or know if the IS300 simply has a larger engine in the same body type?

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/110883-2008-is250-boot-strut-part-number/?do=findComment&comment=986048

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

You didn't look hard enough John lol. I've copied a thread about this issue. It will help. 

Thanks Vlad, much appreciated. I must have entered inadequate search criteria....:wallbash:.  Thanks also to all who responded.

I'll have a look at the SGS ones. Some seem to lift the lid fully, others only unlatch it. The reference in one video to Kia Sorento ones is interesting, they're rated at 290Nm so shouldn't be too 'energetic' in the opening/lifting operation.

Mhhhh, watch this space.....:wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update, I've just ordered the IS300 ones from SGS as per advice here. Should be here in a day or two.

I removed one strut from the car easily enough but the other seemed more difficult for some reason - could be access as it was the offside [driver's] one and being left-handed I was twisted like a corkscrew. 

One piece of advise to others tackling this job.....don't disconnect both struts without propping the lid open or it'll descent like the wrath of God on your head...and, it's heavy!  :bash:

Thanks again for all the help, lads.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Replacement struts arrived from SGS this morning.  They're about 18mm shorted than the originals but I'd don't expect that to be a problem once fitted.

Won't get to the job for a good few days as I've done in my back and the forecast's for rain for the rest of the week.  :wallbash:

1 hour ago, HighlandJohn said:

Replacement struts arrived from SGS this morning.  They're about 18mm shorted than the originals but I'd don't expect that to be a problem once fitted.

Won't get to the job for a good few days as I've done in my back and the forecast's for rain for the rest of the week.  :wallbash:

Good choice, I changed mine with SGS ones earlier this year - excellent quality, I expect they will last the car out.

Hope your back is better soon, theres nowt worse.     

• Like 1

Last update.  Struts fitted today, took all of 10 minutes to do, maybe helped by the fact the sun's been beating down all day.

Lid is much easier to lift from being 'released' but still needs a bit of 'oomph' to pull over-centre to close - but at least it's no longer a guillotine.  Well pleased with the results!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links