Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Code C1201. Check CVS?

Zorb

Hi. 
Hope all’s well?

I’m new here and hope you can help. 
I’ve got an 08 is250 and the check CVS light is on on the dash. Garage checked and came back with the code C1201 and told me to check my brake fluid and pads (I know, why take it to the garage and check it myself?!) 

so, a couple of questions:

My brake fluid is half way between max and min, is that ok and if not which fluid do I get. Dot 3 or Dot 4?

as for the pads there’s about 5 mm left in all the pads and the discs look fine.

any help would be much appreciated 

thanks in advance

Zorb

C1201 is real bas***** of the code. Is basically non-descript generic code and could be triggered by many things. I have not heard it being triggered by pads or fluid, but it could be related with faulty ABS pump. Most of the time it is caused by faulty wheels speed sensors, but there is at least dozen other reasons for that to happen, electrical issues, faulty ECUs etc. etc. 

What you need here is to read the codes likely from ABS module and see what underlying code you get, could be something along the lines of "failed communication to the module, or failed communication to speed sensor" and they have sub-codes for that. In short C1201 doesn't mean anything, you need sub-codes scanned for more direct troubleshooting. That is if you lucky, because I have seen issues where C1201 is triggered because of lost comes to ECU/ABS pump and you just get all possible sub-codes for all components related to that and have to check them one by one. 

Brake fluid is Dot4, could be topped-up with Dot5.1, but must NOT be mixed with Dot5.0. Again - on IS250 I doubt it will be related to the fluid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

C1201 is real bas***** of the code. Is basically non-descript generic code and could be triggered by many things. I have not heard it being triggered by pads or fluid, but it could be related with faulty ABS pump. Most of the time it is caused by faulty wheels speed sensors, but there is at least dozen other reasons for that to happen, electrical issues, faulty ECUs etc. etc. 

What you need here is to read the codes likely from ABS module and see what underlying code you get, could be something along the lines of "failed communication to the module, or failed communication to speed sensor" and they have sub-codes for that. In short C1201 doesn't mean anything, you need sub-codes scanned for more direct troubleshooting. That is if you lucky, because I have seen issues where C1201 is triggered because of lost comes to ECU/ABS pump and you just get all possible sub-codes for all components related to that and have to check them one by one. 

Brake fluid is Dot4, could be topped-up with Dot5.1, but must NOT be mixed with Dot5.0. Again - on IS250 I doubt it will be related to the fluid. 

Hi Linas.

Thanks for the reply.

I knew it was going to vague! I don’t know what dot fluid is in the car already! 
my garage is not being very helpful (I think I it’s because they’re busy!) 

I don’t really want to start throwing loads of time and money at the car so I’ll take it to another garage and see what they think.

thanks again,

Zorb

The warning light has been on for over 2 weeks and suddenly went off! 🤷🏼

Hopefully it was just some dust/crap on a sensor? 🤞🏻🤞🏻 

Thanks again for your help and take care.

Zorb

• 1 month later...

Hi Zorb. Do you have Techstream? If not the Get It. Its the best diagnostic program you can get for your car (next best thing to Lexus/Toyota diagnostic equipment they have and Wipes The Floor with Any garages generic readers they have).

As Linas stated C1201 is a basket case of a code. 

One thing I recommend you do. Ok you may not have any codes now but disconnect the multiplug from the ABS unit. Why? Well my experience was that somehow water got in there and rusted away a couple of the pins. So basically have a look at the condition of the pins on the unit.

Oh Techstream is available on eBay. Everyone here will tell you to get it. 

Enjoy your car and drive careful in rainy conditions. 

On 10/6/2023 at 11:35 AM, Mr Vlad said:

water got in there and rusted away a couple of the pins. So basically have a look at the condition of the pins on the unit.

Oh Techstream is available on ebay. Everyone here will tell you to get it. 

Pins/plugs removed and sprayed down with a contact cleaner (WD40 does some on amazon for like £6) Personally i would do the ABS sensors behind the wheels, ECU plugs etc... Also give the tip of the ABS sensors a quick blast with brake cleaner (You should be able to see the tips from behind the wheel where the shaft enters the hub) Just give it all a good clean just incase a small stone has lodged itself in the gap causing the magnets to not work as they should.  

As for techstream... YES! eBay has loads of "real" copies for a fraction of the price than a retailer and they work just fine. You will need a laptop unless you can buy a 20ft USB cable and run it from your PC to the car. (I actually have a small hole drilled through my house to fit a cable that's 5m long which reaches from my PC to my driveway with a key lockbox on the wall to house the USB connector (Water proof)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links