Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In case other do buy a RZ I thought I should share my experience with the tyres on the RZ Takumi. 
When I collected the car I thought it felt a bit ‘firm’ but thought that was the weight of the Battery effecting things. Took it a tyre place I have used for years and they said the tyres were well overinflated.  They were all 3.0 bar rather than 2.6 and 2.4 bar. Reducing them certainly made a difference. 
I thought the car wasn’t as quiet as it should be, particularly the ‘tyre roar’. My ‘expert’ researched the Dunlop Maxx 060 fitted (a Far Eastern tyre not surprisingly) and said they were only 68db so one of the quietest. Decided it was me.
At 3,000 miles, as recommended, I had the tyres ‘rotated’ and bingo the car is much quieter. The ‘expert’ has no explanation. As the RZ Takumi has different tyre widths at front and back the tyres could only be swapped from near to offside - so if there was any balance issue he didn’t think it would make any difference ‘rotating’ them.
Could have just been my imagination. 

16 minutes ago, wivenhoe said:

In case other do buy a RZ I thought I should share my experience with the tyres on the RZ Takumi. 
When I collected the car I thought it felt a bit ‘firm’ but thought that was the weight of the battery effecting things. Took it a tyre place I have used for years and they said the tyres were well overinflated.  They were all 3.0 bar rather than 2.6 and 2.4 bar. Reducing them certainly made a difference. 
I thought the car wasn’t as quiet as it should be, particularly the ‘tyre roar’. My ‘expert’ researched the Dunlop Maxx 060 fitted (a Far Eastern tyre not surprisingly) and said they were only 68db so one of the quietest. Decided it was me.
At 3,000 miles, as recommended, I had the tyres ‘rotated’ and bingo the car is much quieter. The ‘expert’ has no explanation. As the RZ Takumi has different tyre widths at front and back the tyres could only be swapped from near to offside - so if there was any balance issue he didn’t think it would make any difference ‘rotating’ them.
Could have just been my imagination. 

Bob, just one comment. Every Lexus I have ever bought has had massively overinflated tyres and the RZ was no exception. Usually I have an uncomfortable ride home until I get the pressures reduced . I therefore checked the RZ before I drove away I think from memory they were 3.3 bar all round and I asked them to reduce them before I drove the car away. They duly did but set them to 3 bar all round! As you say, reducing the pressures makes a difference. Why they can't get the tyres right at the PDI is another Lexus mystery.

When we picked up our new NX about a month ago, the tyres were all at about 2.8bar. The recommended pressure for general driving is 2.3bar. I told the Lexus dealer about this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wivenhoe said:

Dunlop Maxx

Had these fitted as standard on my new ES300 and the roar was awful. Terrible tyre. Had to remove them and fit Hankook noise reduction tyres which improved the overall cabin noise from tyres.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links