Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Best Home EV Charger? 🪫🔋

HGUS

As much as I have had no issue with Zappi I would just pick the Ohme as it seems it plays better and Lexus are behind the times as usual being the only Luxury brand thats not listed as working  with OVOs very clever Charge Anytime App which allows any charger to work. Charger is just a slave in the process as the App goes straight to your car telling it when to allow charging. The beauty of that is even a 3 pin 'granny charger' will work meaning owners have a wider choice of charger.

• 6 months later...
On 9/14/2023 at 6:27 PM, ColinBarber said:

But, as an aside, if you want to switch to Intelligent Octopus and don't have a compatible EV (e.g. a Lexus UX300e) then you need a charger that they can control (e.g. Ohme) - they don't control Zappi (yet).

Good point. 

I do however have an Ohme charger and it's been giving me lots of trouble when using Agile Octopus (but the type of trouble like related to Battery level would impact if I used Intelligent Octopus). I had trouble for the last 6 months. I wish I had waited for the wallbox. 

Today for example, (after a lot of trial and fail.. ), I set my Ohme app to accept up to 12p pricing (Zeus is blowing the windmills at full power 😉, variable pricing paradise). I looked at the app and it said nothing available, wait for tomorrow´s pricing (available in 7 hours). This is even when all the pricing periods this morning were below 4p - according to the same Ohme app! I tried restarting the charge session in the car, restart their app, reboot from the RCD, nothing fixed it, not immediately. 

I also read comments about their support desk being very poor. But with what I am seeing, a weaker link are their testers, or maybe they are missing altogether. The Ohme app says no price below max available. Just after one tap, you can see several.. 😡
  • Sad 1

Up to now I manage with the granny charger and my RZ450.  However I now think it's time to invest in a standard charger.  I am with Octopus and was wondering if there is any great need to get an Ohme as the charging schedule is controlled by the car..

Is anyone here on octopus using another charger from another supplier?

I was thinking of Hive or Pod as the chargers look quite neat.

27 minutes ago, ruds said:

I am with Octopus and was wondering if there is any great need to get an Ohme as the charging schedule is controlled by the car..

It depends if you want to switch to Intelligent Octopus Go or not - they need to be able to control the charging and can only do it with certain vehicles or with specific chargers they support (Ohme and now Zappi). If you want to switch to just Octopus Go then you can use whatever charger you want.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links