Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Would Lexus Assist You?

SH20

So for all you technical people, can you venture to give an opinion on this hypothetical scenario:

Your car, any car,  resides in the north of England and your vehicle registration number is cloned and passed to a crook in London who buys a pair of plates and fits them to his/her car.   Ignore the ULEZ benefit as most modern Lexus cars will meet the ULEZ exemption  charge.   Consider this scenario as one to avoid road tax and insurance for an identical car and also to avoid any fines, parking, speeding etc.  

My question is this:  Would Lexus be able to say where your car was on any given date/time using the car's GPS locator in a similar way you can locate your car via the My Lexus App on a phone.   Am I right in thinking my 2 cars are transmitting a signal at all time or only when running.   If the car is transmitting a signal do you believe  Lexus would aid you in a defense against a fraudulent action.    

2 minutes ago, SH20 said:

So for all you technical people, can you venture to give an opinion on this hypothetical scenario:

Your car, any car,  resides in the north of England and your vehicle registration number is cloned and passed to a crook in London who buys a pair of plates and fits them to his/her car.   Ignore the ULEZ benefit as most modern Lexus cars will meet the ULEZ exemption  charge.   Consider this scenario as one to avoid road tax and insurance for an identical car and also to avoid any fines, parking, speeding etc.  

My question is this:  Would Lexus be able to say where your car was on any given date/time using the car's GPS locator in a similar way you can locate your car via the My Lexus App on a phone.   Am I right in thinking my 2 cars are transmitting a signal at all time or only when running.   If the car is transmitting a signal do you believe  Lexus would aid you in a defense against a fraudulent action.    

Steve I Can comment with a little bit of experience here.. A Few years ago i received a Traffic Fine from Hackney in london.. Someone had cloned my then current registration plates and i subsequently received the fine to my Address..even although this is approx 600 miles away and i had never been near that area i had to ( 1 ) report it to the Local Police station which placed this on record and ( 2 ) Send proof of my address enclosing a bill or some other identification of who i was to the issuing Authority who sent out the fine explaining that my registration had been cloned.. needless to say i never heard any more about it nor received any further fines in the post  Hope that helps.. If you need any more info please feel free to get in touch...

• Like 2

Good of you to respond Ron.  I'm not the recipient of anything as unfortunate that you experienced but it did cross my mind how easy it would be to copy a number and then run around in the same make of car in a different part of the country. 

Lexus abandoned their customer relations access, preferring owners refer their questions to dealerships but I'm not so sure a dealer would be able to answer my original scenario.  I sent an enquiry to Toyota Customer Relations who handle all Lexus and Toyota customer enquiries but other than an acknowledgement e mail they just don't follow up.  After all it's quite a simple question, "Can Lexus and Toyota identify where a car is on any given day using the car's electronic GPS locator"

I know a Toyota salesman well enough to ask him if a dealership have a back door access to the manufacturer if a technical question comes up they can't answer.  I'll try that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Traffic Fine from Hackney in london.

A friend of mine just received tickets from Hackey council & TFL by someone who has cloned his plates. He had recently sold it on FB Marketplace.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know, Lexus and Toyota cannot supply files or confirmation of any past locations of your car, only real time location via the My Lexus App.   Pretty obvious really when I really think about it,  millions of data files of every Lexus or Toyota's location just in case someone asks where was my car at a given time and day/date should his/her car be the subject of a fraudulent parking or speeding ticket etc.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links