Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Update on 2nd key and locking wheel nuts

I received the following after complaining about the key and wheel nut issue.

I took delivery in June 23

You may find the comments about the loss of a key or a wheel interesting.

Enjoy !

I am sorry to share that your Lexus Centre, I presume is Lexus Bristol, are correct in that they would not have information or a timeline as of yet as to when the smart key and locking wheel nuts will become available.

I can only apologise for the delay in providing you with these items.  It was certainly not our intention for this to be the situation but Toyota Motor Corporation in Japan have experienced semiconductor shortages which has impacted the supply of a second smart key on certain models in Lexus and Toyota. 

We have started to supply our Lexus models with a second smart key but this will take a little while to fulfil.  We have initiated a Customer Satisfaction Campaign (CSC) to ask owners to obtain the smart key through their Lexus Centre (it needs to be programmed by the Centre).  This is being conducted in production date order so that those customers who have been waiting the longest will receive their smart key first.

This first phase is for cars manufactured between October and December 2022.  Commencement of further campaigns based on the production date is to follow.  I regret to advise that we have not been provided with a clear timescale.  Looking at the production date of your car I would expect, realistically, that it will form part of the second or third phase of the CSC. 

Please rest assured that Lexus UK are aware of the challenges and irritation that this has caused to some customers and we are doing all we can to ensure the earliest delivery of the second smart key.  I can advise that should your key be mislaid we will support any work required and will provide mobility if this situation was to arise.

In relation to the locking wheel nuts. There is not a shortage of materials but they have had to be re-engineered and a new supplier appointed.  This has meant that they were not available at the time of handover.  I can advise that we expect the new locking wheel nuts to be available later this year and into early 2024.  These will be issued to our Lexus Centre network once they are available. 

I can advise that in the highly unlikely event that the wheels are stolen we would support the full cost of their replacement.

In closing, I am sorry that with this reply I have not been able to afford you a positive response but I trust I have confirmed the latest status on both issues. I do hope in all other respects your are enjoying you new NX 450h +

Kind regards

Claire Dean
Lexus Customer Relations Case Manager
Toyota (GB) PLC - Lexus Division
Distributor of vehicles, parts and accessories for the UK

• Thanks 5

1 hour ago, DouglasGB said:

I received the following after complaining about the key and wheel nut issue.

I took delivery in June 23

You may find the comments about the loss of a key or a wheel interesting.

Enjoy !

I am sorry to share that your Lexus Centre, I presume is Lexus Bristol, are correct in that they would not have information or a timeline as of yet as to when the smart key and locking wheel nuts will become available.

I can only apologise for the delay in providing you with these items.  It was certainly not our intention for this to be the situation but Toyota Motor Corporation in Japan have experienced semiconductor shortages which has impacted the supply of a second smart key on certain models in Lexus and Toyota. 

We have started to supply our Lexus models with a second smart key but this will take a little while to fulfil.  We have initiated a Customer Satisfaction Campaign (CSC) to ask owners to obtain the smart key through their Lexus Centre (it needs to be programmed by the Centre).  This is being conducted in production date order so that those customers who have been waiting the longest will receive their smart key first.

This first phase is for cars manufactured between October and December 2022.  Commencement of further campaigns based on the production date is to follow.  I regret to advise that we have not been provided with a clear timescale.  Looking at the production date of your car I would expect, realistically, that it will form part of the second or third phase of the CSC. 

Please rest assured that Lexus UK are aware of the challenges and irritation that this has caused to some customers and we are doing all we can to ensure the earliest delivery of the second smart key.  I can advise that should your key be mislaid we will support any work required and will provide mobility if this situation was to arise.

In relation to the locking wheel nuts. There is not a shortage of materials but they have had to be re-engineered and a new supplier appointed.  This has meant that they were not available at the time of handover.  I can advise that we expect the new locking wheel nuts to be available later this year and into early 2024.  These will be issued to our Lexus Centre network once they are available. 

I can advise that in the highly unlikely event that the wheels are stolen we would support the full cost of their replacement.

In closing, I am sorry that with this reply I have not been able to afford you a positive response but I trust I have confirmed the latest status on both issues. I do hope in all other respects your are enjoying you new NX 450h +

Kind regards

Claire Dean
Lexus Customer Relations Case Manager
Toyota (GB) PLC - Lexus Division
Distributor of vehicles, parts and accessories for the UK

Almost the same wording I got a month ago, only difference is that then they were still giving the re engineer of the wheel bolts as the reason for delay but without any view of timeline

• Thanks 1

Lexus Twickenham advised me that they would not issue any wheel nuts anymore - even though this was in the initial spec. Is wheel theft still a big thing and worth complaining?

Lexus UK Customer services are still telling customers that they will be supplied.

I was also told (early Sept) that they had no reports of any thefts, so not so much a worry, but it’s more to do with insurance risk / premiums - Lexus (thro Thatchams) have given assurances that the will cover any costs of any thefts till they supply and fit the locking wheel bolts so premiums would not be impacted

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Well, I completed my Suffolk trip early last week and in the end, I was there for two nights for one. I have to admit whilst walking back towards the car (due to parking constraints, the nearest I could get the car was about a ten minute walk away...) I was worried about what I'd find but fortunately it was still sporting all it's alloys

As I've said elsewhere, I've been actively looking for suitable locking wheel nuts away from dealing with Lexus (albeit I've not had any chance over the last week or so) as I have no faith they'll turn up. If they do, I certainly wouldn't trust my dealer of doing some actual customer service by picking up the phone and telling me when they arrive. The same goes with the second key - which I'm worried more about.

Thanks for the update @DouglasGB. Much appreciated. I would say that's the most information I've seen from Lexus on the situation. I only took delivery of my NX last month, so I suspect I still have some time to wait. When I signed for my car on collection day (there was a tick list of items), I noted it was missing the second key and locking wheel nuts - and was told to do so. I also noted it was missing a user manual even though I was already aware of being told "we don't supply them". It was out of principle. I don't think a car of that value shouldn't come without one, but that's for another subject for another day...

I've not been advised of the likes of the locking wheel nuts no longer being supplied. That's the first I've heard of that to be honest @szhrmp, but we're talking about my dealer here...who, lets just say, spent the majority of my sixteen month wait avoiding all contact with me where possible. 

It's genuinely good to see a response from Customer Services. I gave up with them in the end. I never had a written reply directly from them during my three attempts at making contact with them. They just passed my attempts straight onto the dealer and...yeah...see my last paragraph! It was an endless circle of no information and almost zero contact!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gary, unless Locking Wheel Nuts have come on a lot over recent times I've a feeling that any old competent professional wheel thief can probably overcome any specific wheel nut protection !

Hope I'm wrong BUT .......................

Best wishes with it all

Malc

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links