Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What do I look out for?

Hi I've found a lexus is250 sel 2006 manual  151,000 that I am interested in buying for £1600 it will have a new mot and has part service history clutch done around 20000 miles ago and 6 new spark plugs I messaged the owner if there are any problems and he said this 

Everything works as it should.

There was a historic oil leak that my mechanic sealed with an additive. Where it was I don't know but you're welcome to view.

Thanks

What is the worst case scenario regarding the oil leak and how much for repairs would I be looking at?

Also is this a common problem I have looked online and can't find much help

Any help would be amazing 

Thanks nathaniel 😎 

2 hours ago, nathanielchapman said:

Hi I've found a lexus is250 sel 2006 manual  151,000 that I am interested in buying for £1600 it will have a new mot and has part service history clutch done around 20000 miles ago and 6 new spark plugs I messaged the owner if there are any problems and he said this 

Everything works as it should.

There was a historic oil leak that my mechanic sealed with an additive. Where it was I don't know but you're welcome to view.

Thanks

What is the worst case scenario regarding the oil leak and how much for repairs would I be looking at?

Also is this a common problem I have looked online and can't find much help

Any help would be amazing 

Thanks nathaniel 😎 

What do I have to look out for - Exactly this, no reputable mechanic would use oil leak additive... walk away pal. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just note - 2006 IS250 manual will likely have £600 road tax.

Secondly, IS250 is only a good car if it was well maintained, cheap cars in poor condition are just massive trouble. Hard to work on, hard to diagnose, full of expensive computers and parts. Manual gearbox never suited the car in my opinion either and it is more problematic/expensive to maintain + you get punished on the road tax. Some very early cars somehow avoided £600 tax (before March 2006 maybe?).

So if you looking to get IS250, which is by the way amazing car when it is maintained, then look for decent example with full service history, ideally Lexus, but at it's age now I think part Lexus/part independent history would be sufficient, but it has to have regular maintenance. When something was sealed with some additive sealant that is BIG red flag, there should be nothing leaking and if anything is leaking then it MUST NOT be ignored and sealed with some additive.

I think in conclusion you looking at buying car for £1600 and then spending years and thousands of £ fixing it, or you spend maybe £4000 and have years of fault free motoring, just replacing oils on time and what little it needs.

Here is the thread regarding everything else you need to know:

• Like 3

Thank you mate I didn't go for that one in the end I bought a different one last night an is250 sport on 168k it has full history and everything seems okay the only downside for me at the moment is it has an aftermarket exhaust which is quite loud 😄 neighbours are going to hate me  🤣 

20231030_191734.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/25/2023 at 5:35 PM, nathanielchapman said:

What is the worst case scenario regarding the oil leak

New engine!

2 hours ago, nathanielchapman said:

aftermarket exhaust which is quite loud 😄 neighbours are going to hate me  🤣

BTW I have a lexus ISF with a VERY loud exhaust. Two neighbours think it sounds beautiful. The others hate me.

Now that I have a harley we are down to one appreciative neighbour ( obviously a man of taste ) likes the sound. The others don't speak to me anymore????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2023 at 3:26 AM, GMB said:

New engine!

BTW I have a lexus ISF with a VERY loud exhaust. Two neighbours think it sounds beautiful. The others hate me.

Now that I have a harley we are down to one appreciative neighbour ( obviously a man of taste ) likes the sound. The others don't speak to me anymore????

geometry dash

oh man! even watching it in the video can knock me down

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links