Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2023 RX 350h Premium vs 2021 RX 450h Luxury

My two year old RX 450h is having its second service today, and as a courtesy car I have the new model RX 350h Premium. Interesting to drive them back to back and compare.

What do I like about the new RX?
- it feels far more nimble to drive, and noticeably sharper than the previous model RX

- performance is strong. I’d worried about the drop in engine capacity and the added turbocharger, but I couldn’t notice much difference in performance, if any.

Unfortunately that’s about all I am positive about!

- styling - which I know is subjective - doesn’t do it for me. The colour I’ve been given doesn’t help, being Sonic Copper which I don’t think suits the car at all. The rear quarter view is dumpy and, to me, has more than a hint of Maxi/Allegro about it! Yes, really…and the front view is just ugly. 

- ride quality. The drive is sharper, but the trade-off is ride comfort. On the exact same roads it was noticeably jittery in comparison, and I much prefer a softer ride

- quality. To me, it feels as though interior quality has declined. Some of the plastics don’t do a car of this price justice imho, and certainly feels like a step backwards. Also, why remove things like proper door handles (seems like the answer to a question nobody asked) and kickplates on the rear door sills etc. The column stalks feel cheaper too. I guess weight saving is at the heart of this, but again given the price I’m underwhelmed!

- tech. I just don’t like the big central screen being something of a Luddite. Yes, I’d get used to that, but I don’t want to!

- equipment. Given the price increase over my current RX, I’m surprised to see no glass roof, no HUD etc. It is well equipped but the comparison given the price difference doesn’t sit well with me.

Don't get me wrong, it’s a good car. I do like it. Problem is, I don’t like it as much as the previous model…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

My two year old RX 450h is having its second service today, and as a courtesy car I have the new model RX 350h Premium. Interesting to drive them back to back and compare.

What do I like about the new RX?
- it feels far more nimble to drive, and noticeably sharper than the previous model RX

- performance is strong. I’d worried about the drop in engine capacity and the added turbocharger, but I couldn’t notice much difference in performance, if any.

Unfortunately that’s about all I am positive about!

- styling - which I know is subjective - doesn’t do it for me. The colour I’ve been given doesn’t help, being Sonic Copper which I don’t think suits the car at all. The rear quarter view is dumpy and, to me, has more than a hint of Maxi/Allegro about it! Yes, really…and the front view is just ugly. 

- ride quality. The drive is sharper, but the trade-off is ride comfort. On the exact same roads it was noticeably jittery in comparison, and I much prefer a softer ride

- quality. To me, it feels as though interior quality has declined. Some of the plastics don’t do a car of this price justice imho, and certainly feels like a step backwards. Also, why remove things like proper door handles (seems like the answer to a question nobody asked) and kickplates on the rear door sills etc. The column stalks feel cheaper too. I guess weight saving is at the heart of this, but again given the price I’m underwhelmed!

- tech. I just don’t like the big central screen being something of a Luddite. Yes, I’d get used to that, but I don’t want to!

- equipment. Given the price increase over my current RX, I’m surprised to see no glass roof, no HUD etc. It is well equipped but the comparison given the price difference doesn’t sit well with me.

Don't get me wrong, it’s a good car. I do like it. Problem is, I don’t like it as much as the previous model…

Is it cos perhaps you're comparing apples to oranges? 

I think the Premium is the lowest spec in the range so won't have the options you've mentioned. The premium plus does have the option to add a panoramic roof amongst the other gubbins. 

I found the ride smoother tbh. I wonder if it's the ridiculous tyre pressures the dealerships put it at. The loaner I had was running 40 psi 

In general the RX is still good value compared to other vehicles. X5 to a similar spec is almost £10k more as is the GLE

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

Is it cos perhaps you're comparing apples to oranges? 

I think the Premium is the lowest spec in the range so won't have the options you've mentioned. The premium plus does have the option to add a panoramic roof amongst the other gubbins. 

I found the ride smoother tbh. I wonder if it's the ridiculous tyre pressures the dealerships put it at. The loaner I had was running 40 psi 

In general the RX is still good value compared to other vehicles. X5 to a similar spec is almost £10k more as is the GLE

Perhaps. But the equipment isn’t my biggest issue. The drive really is good (ride quality excepted), but the general decline in interior quality combined with the big screen mean it’s a no from me. Hard plastics on the front door tops? Really? For £70k?!

Just my opinion, obviously. 

2 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Perhaps. But the equipment isn’t my biggest issue. The drive really is good (ride quality excepted), but the general decline in interior quality combined with the big screen mean it’s a no from me. Hard plastics on the front door tops? Really? For £70k?!

Just my opinion, obviously. 

I mean I didnt notice anything unusual with the door cards - the ones ive had were the F-Sport and the Takumi though so they both had suede lined doors

I drove a Premium Plus and overall I liked it, but then I have no experience of a 4th gen RX and I'm comparing it my 3rd gen version. I was mildly surprised to find there is no padding behind the inside door pulls, and the seat backs looked rather plain and simple.

First world problems and all that....

If I can afford/justify it then I can see me going to one of the PHEV models in a few years. I'd be happy with a Premium as I'd prefer it to be on 19" wheels.

I think this is progress of the RX model.

My son has the RX350h, and overall I do like the vehicle. The software is up to date, and far better than my RX 450H, I some aspects.

The new model does certainly seem to handle better, more nimble and has all the benefits of my RX, and beats me head on with fuel consumption at circa 45-49 mpg.

It does however have a noisy trashy ( Briggs and Stratton) engine note if the engine is pushed in more harsh acceleration.

The interior quality is Lexus, of new, but I don’t think on par of Lexus of old!

The design I like, but it appears more commercially based to perhaps attract a younger audience.

I think the difference between my RX450h, is that it’s a luxury time capsule, built for perhaps a different generation era, and that creamy V6, does sound much better when pushed. Yes, my tech is old and outdated, but, hey, I can live with that.

I don’t feel at the moment, there is enough in the RX350h for me to want to change, but that opinion may be affected come insurance renewal time 🤣😂

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links