Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can Phantom

Brian R

46 minutes ago, Brian R said:

Has anyone tried/considered this: Can Phantom

Looks pretty good to me and might well delay/prevent car theft. I'd be interested in any experience or view on this product.

Well, I have no experience of it but it looks like a copy of the Ghost system.  In fact, were I marketing it, I might even be tempted to do a comparative analysis if it actually had any competitive benefits over the Ghost.

And if it hasn’t, then what’s the point of it?

I actually like the premise of the Ghost system, but its detractors claim it is vulnerable to CanBUS attack.  The Can Phantom doesn’t appear to address this problem at all.  I can find no mention of how it defeats this method of bypassing its security.

The other point that occurs to me is the repeated claim that they will ‘Guarantee’ your car against theft.  What form does this ‘Guarantee’ take?  What conditions do they apply?  Will they replace a customer’s stolen car with a like-for-like equivalent?  Or compensate the loss with a cash payment?

I also think some costing examples would be useful.

PS:

Since writing the above, I have discovered a comparison in the blog section:

https://www.can-phantom.com/post/can-phantom-vs-ghost-immobiliser-which-is-the-best-aftermarket-immobiliser-for-your-car-2023-2024

But it still doesn’t clarify how it is superior to the Ghost, merely claiming that it is.  As it happens, they don’t have an Installer anywhere near me - and don’t appear to offer mobile installation.

• Like 1

Thanks, Len. I've just looked at the "Ghost" system and as you say, the Phantom looks like a copy and even down to its pricing.

Perhaps not the ultimate solution unless there are hidden strengths not well covered in the firm's web site.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brian R said:

Perhaps not the ultimate solution unless there are hidden strengths not well covered in the firm's web site

Possibly not the ultimate solution, Brian, but maybe almost as good as it’s going to get?

I did consider a Ghost 2 myself, but in the end decided that an eight year old IS250 was not high on any car thieves shopping list.  But I expect your newer LC500H is a different proposition in terms of current value!

As I said, I liked the principle: from being able to create a simple,  interactive,  personalised code to the production of a variety of perplexing effects.  

In your circumstances I might be inclined to approach Ghost / CAN Phantom directly with any concerns about vulnerabilities and ‘Guarantees’ and see what they say.  For example, this YT installer has quite a lot to say…in defence of the Ghost!

One interesting question is to sticker or not to sticker?  Whether it’s better to announce the fitting of a Ghost and thus to deter thieves.  Or let them try to drive the car off and find they’re wasting time on a problem car.

I would combine this with a visible device, such as a Disklok or - as I have - a Milenco steering wheel lock.

I hope this helps while we wait for someone with some real world experience to turn up!

Go to the ES section and read a couple of member experiences, yes they work, but you end up with thousands in damage to the wiring loom, dash...etc. as well as multiple theft attempts.

Even newer models with canbus encryption are being targeted. Lexus need to do a loud public recall, a quiet fix will not solve it.

Otherwise, sell and move on, or let it get stolen and get the insurance payout and move on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, peniole said:

Even newer models with canbus encryption are being targeted. Lexus need to do a loud public recall, a quiet fix will not solve it.

That approach does seem to be working for JLR and I gather their theft rate is now reducing and as you say there's been significant promotion of their "enhanced security". It would be great if Lexus could do the same and why shouldn't they given I'm sure they wouldn't want their brand to leap frog JLR in terms of ease of theft, albeit I think it already has!

On 11/27/2023 at 6:40 AM, Brian R said:

That approach does seem to be working for JLR and I gather their theft rate is now reducing and as you say there's been significant promotion of their "enhanced security". It would be great if Lexus could do the same and why shouldn't they given I'm sure they wouldn't want their brand to leap frog JLR in terms of ease of theft, albeit I think it already has!

This this this this this.

Lexus need to sort it. Quickly.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links