Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Navigation SD card slot location: IS300h Executive Edition

Firstly, apologies if this topic has been dealt with before; as a newbie I couldn't see away to search the forum.

My IS300h Executive Edition recently went for service at Lexus Bolton. As I'd noticed that the speed limits shown on the satnav weren't up to date with the many changes in my area, I asked the service manager if the database could be updated.

I was told that a specific CD (later changed to SD card) would have to be ordered for my car, and that it would need to be installed by them at a cost of £250. Some research on the net indicates that the apparently OEM SD cards are readily available for £40 to £50, and they are plug and play. So far so good! On searching for the location for said SD card slot, the only info I could find was for the upper level models, where there is a pull-down flap below the CD player slot. This is not present on my car. 

So I'd love to know where the slot is on my car, whether the update is possible this way, and if anyone has successfully done it.

Thanks,

Oldcarman.

41 minutes ago, oldcarman said:

Firstly, apologies if this topic has been dealt with before; as a newbie I couldn't see away to search the forum.

My IS300h Executive Edition recently went for service at Lexus Bolton. As I'd noticed that the speed limits shown on the satnav weren't up to date with the many changes in my area, I asked the service manager if the database could be updated.

I was told that a specific CD (later changed to SD card) would have to be ordered for my car, and that it would need to be installed by them at a cost of £250. Some research on the net indicates that the apparently OEM SD cards are readily available for £40 to £50, and they are plug and play. So far so good! On searching for the location for said SD card slot, the only info I could find was for the upper level models, where there is a pull-down flap below the CD player slot. This is not present on my car. 

So I'd love to know where the slot is on my car, whether the update is possible this way, and if anyone has successfully done it.

Thanks,

Oldcarman.

If you have Executive trim it will have the standard Sat Nav with the rotary controller. This is updated through the USB port in the centre arm rest using a USB stick. The dealer will charge a few hundred pounds but the updates can be purchased from other places, though I've not tried any yet. 

1 minute ago, oldcarman said:

Thanks for this. There are two USB ports inside the arm rest. Which one would be used for the update? Meanwhile I'll see what I can  out there that's suitable. 

AFAIK either port can be used. 

22 minutes ago, oldcarman said:

Think I'll be going with this one, as the pic looks exactly like the menu on my car.

https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/lexus-13cy-gen8-sat-nav-map-update-europe-2022-2023-709-p.asp?page=1&_=

Will report back on progress as and when.

Yes that's the correct Gen of Sat Nav for the car. I keep debating doing the upgrade myself to the latest maps (mine are original with the car in 2014)but mostly use Google Maps on a phone now. Be good to know how you get on. 

On 11/21/2023 at 7:25 PM, oldcarman said:

Think I'll be going with this one, as the pic looks exactly like the menu on my car.

https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/lexus-13cy-gen8-sat-nav-map-update-europe-2022-2023-709-p.asp?page=1&_=

Will report back on progress as and when.

I purchased an SD card from these people, sometime during the summer for 2022/2023. It updated very easy, unfortunately it stopped indicating that I was driving towards a Road Safety Camera. So, i reinstalled the info from my original SD card and the system is back to normal.

That said, since early this year, there are the new 20 MPH speed limit roads everywhere locally. The card I was sent doesn’t have any details of the recent speed limit changes loaded into it. So, I’d suggest you check with satnavishop first. They reply to all messages. Good luck!

I contacted David at Satnavishop, and he said he didn't know, which was honest. Still, if it's updated to 2022 it will be a big improvement on the current mappin, which is 07/2014.

Waiting now for my shiny new USB stick to arrive.

• 2 weeks later...

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for .....   Just spent the afternoon installing the update and it all went according to the instructions supplied.

As mentioned previously, I chose the update from Satnavishop.  https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/lexus-13cy-gen8-sat-nav-map-update-europe-2022-2023-709-p.asp?page=1&_=

but I suppose other sources are available. 

If you're OK to use Satnavishop, the procedure is:

1. Take photo of current map data.   "MENU - SETUP - Navigation - Map data. " then photo.

2. Send to Satnavishop for confirmation of correct update.

3. Decide which option (download or post) you want. 

I have to say David is very prompt with replies to queries, and if an oldie like me can do it, I'm sure all you tech savvy folks will have no problem. I have NO connection at all to Satnavishop.

Go for it! and Good Luck!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, oldcarman said:

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for .....   Just spent the afternoon installing the update and it all went according to the instructions supplied.

As mentioned previously, I chose the update from Satnavishop.  https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/lexus-13cy-gen8-sat-nav-map-update-europe-2022-2023-709-p.asp?page=1&_=

but I suppose other sources are available. 

If you're OK to use Satnavishop, the procedure is:

1. Take photo of current map data.   "MENU - SETUP - Navigation - Map data. " then photo.

2. Send to Satnavishop for confirmation of correct update.

3. Decide which option (download or post) you want. 

I have to say David is very prompt with replies to queries, and if an oldie like me can do it, I'm sure all you tech savvy folks will have no problem. I have NO connection at all to Satnavishop.

Go for it! and Good Luck!

Could you briefly describe the process and how long it took please? 

I have to be careful not to tread on anyone's toes at Satnavishop here; I chose to download the update, and instructions on what to do were provided once I'd ordered and paid. 

Assuming you'd sent a photo of your current map data prior to order, there should also be instructions on how to install the update. It does say that it will take c.100 minutes, and that's what it took. There are also some reviews of this particular update and others which are worth reading. You may have to send another photo of the map update screen in order to get the install code.

I'm 70+ and more used to working with tools than software, but I managed it by going slowly and following the instructions carefully. You can also check if you've succeeded by following #1. path as above.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldcarman said:

I have to be careful not to tread on anyone's toes at Satnavishop here; I chose to download the update, and instructions on what to do were provided once I'd ordered and paid. 

Assuming you'd sent a photo of your current map data prior to order, there should also be instructions on how to install the update. It does say that it will take c.100 minutes, and that's what it took. There are also some reviews of this particular update and others which are worth reading. You may have to send another photo of the map update screen in order to get the install code.

I'm 70+ and more used to working with tools than software, but I managed it by going slowly and following the instructions carefully. You can also check if you've succeeded by following #1. path as above.

Thanks - good to know the instructions were good and easy to follow as of course it's not a "user" update as far as Lexus is concerned. Useful to know how long it takes as thinking whether to do this update on my car. I don't use the internal sat nav much these days as use Google Maps on my phone, but occasionally turn to the car sat nav in a few circumstances. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links