Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1 minute ago, Newbie777 said:

Nowadays some people think it's their right to get things without working for them!

Quite right.

We’re called Pensioners!  😆

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LenT said:

Andrea Bocelli…another excellent choice, Niaz!

Here’s a selection of solos and duets that should do the trick.

Mind you, I recall a time in Florence when every street busker would be having a shot at ‘Time to say goodbye’ with varying degrees of success!  And that often proved an incentive to be somewhere else.

https://youtu.be/aAly0LdU13I

LenT you have also great choice.

Mind you I love playing music a bit louder with the ML system. It is very good.

Firenze my favourite place in Italy, I just see lots of African people try to sell me fake watches, why me? Do I look dodgy..erh don't answer that one.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, LenT said:

Quite right.

We’re called Pensioners!  😆

Although am not there yet (52), I think you have done this country proud, with all the hardship and suffering that you all  encountered, you should be able to enjoy things now.

I think army bootcamp is what is missing nowadays!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LenT said:

Quite right. We’re called Pensioners!  😆

I think you'll find you already paid for that. I know I am paying a small fortune for mine and can't wait to start drawing it.
Then I will finally have the time and enough money for all the projects I have lined up.
However, knowing my luck I'll pop my clogs shortly after that 🙄

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, BigBoomer said:

I think you'll find you already paid for that. I know I am paying a small fortune for mine and can't wait to start drawing it.
Then I will finally have the time and enough money for all the projects I have lined up.
However, knowing my luck I'll pop my clogs shortly after that 🙄

Sods law.

I think pensions are not much nowadays and your money does not go far.

The bit that hits me is that you if have any savings you are scrutinised and left out, if you have not saved for a rainy you are all good.

Just want to live in a society where we are treated fairly!

I will get off my soap box now!

2 minutes ago, Newbie777 said:

Sods law.

The bit that hits me is that you if have any savings you are scrutinised and left out, if you have not saved for a rainy you are all good.

Unfortunately it has always been that way. There are many stories (true ones ) that tell of people with small private pensions being hammered for tax and getting no benefits  ( A pension is NOT a benefit - it has been paid for ) versus people who have done nothing and getting much better lifestyles paid for by the Gov't and ultimately the taxpayer.

But, that's life, they just got lucky by doing nowt. I don't begrudge them.

BTW I, among many, will be hammered by tax on my private pension again next April. Thanks a bunch Rishi and comic hunt. You have to actually say that last sentence to get the real meaning.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GMB said:

Unfortunately it has always been that way. There are many stories (true ones ) that tell of people with small private pensions being hammered for tax and getting no benefits  ( A pension is NOT a benefit - it has been paid for ) versus people who have done nothing and getting much better lifestyles paid for by the Gov't and ultimately the taxpayer.

BTW I, among many, will be hammered by tax on my private pension again next April. Thanks a bunch Rishi and comic hunt. You have to actually say that last sentence to get the real meaning.

The personal tax allowance isn’t great and ALL your excess income becomes just that …… taxable unless you / your Tax Adviser finds ways to help …. like a cash ISA say 

Im happy to pay some company Corporation Tax too to help fund your ( and my ) State Old Age Pensions. NHS, Armed Forces etc in the knowledge that the Benefits Regime for those in need is now thankfully being more focussed on those that really do NEED 

All and any shade of Govt has to somehow balance the books and decide the level of State Debt that’s sustainable going forward 

Those of us that can afford a Lexus or two are blessed, either thru our own endeavour or good fortune ….. I don’t regret making my personal wealth and continuing …… neither do I not want to help others in Society that are much less fortunate …… brainpower is the usual difference tween me, us and them …….

Don't whinge and don’t think any change of political nuance will make one ounce of difference going forward financially 

There’s global and European wars going on right now and I want my family to grow and survive in a free society ……. and that’s gonna cost believe it or not 

Malc 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Newbie777 said:

Sods law.

For clarity, your savings have no bearing upon your pension. It is true that people with few to zero savings may get top ups both in pension and other benefits. Can certainly understand your point about a sense of fairness in the system. Phrased that badly. Savings do have an impact upon some benefits, but not the state pension.

34 minutes ago, GMB said:

Life is unfair and the workers always get the worst deal, especially when they retire.

There are a lot of taxes brought in on the quiet and things do not seem what they are like reduced NI deductions, you still pay more in tax overall.

Also, hard fact, I know a lot of pensioners who just get on with it, very little money, but they don't go to fancy restaurants and they cook their own meals at home, no junk food. Going to see a couple tomorrow and taking some chocolates and carrot ccake for him and will have a cuppa.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Newbie777 said:

Going to see a couple tomorrow and taking some chocolates and carrot ccake for him and will have a cuppa.

Would that be somewhere in Northamptonshire?  🤗

1 hour ago, Newbie777 said:

Life is unfair and the workers always get the worst deal, especially when they retire.

There are a lot of taxes brought in on the quiet and things do not seem what they are like reduced NI deductions, you still pay more in tax overall.

Also, hard fact, I know a lot of pensioners who just get on with it, very little money, but they don't go to fancy restaurants and they cook their own meals at home, no junk food. Going to see a couple tomorrow and taking some chocolates and carrot ccake for him and will have a cuppa.

Most Pensioners are of an age where growing up was challenging …… and those challenges “ maketh man “‘

Growing up just Post War ( me ) seeing bombing devastation and much greater hardship than we see today generally …….. AND our parents having had a much greater difficult time of life growing up during and with the aftermath of the First War ……

Society then for the most part had a hugely tough time  …… kids today with education actually happening with whatever qualities the System can offer with good teachers and buildings etc 

More than the elder generation could often experience in their time …… my time ! 

Ffs just stop whingeing and accept it’s as good and probably better than it’s ever historically been …… 

Jeez I have 3 cars and I feel so so lucky …… my grandparents often had bugger all ….. my parents too ….., eating out at a restaurant never on the Agenda ……. enough food to eat at home often a challenge too 

I’ve never had it so good for sure as have  most here maybe 

I never want to get involved with stupid politics ….. it’s draining ….. and I don’t believe any of ‘em will make a useful difference without more money to spend …… you decide how that’s going to be “ got “ 

There’s no Magic Money Tree 

Malc 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Newbie777 said:

No I live in Oldham, worked in shoe capital though.

Er…that was just my way of saying I like carrot cake, Niaz!  😊

But I had an office in Northampton for a while - it’s a nice town.  And it’s surrounded by very attractive villages, too.  

Recalling some of the earlier posts in this thread - which has somewhat meandered - what it doesn’t have is some of the less welcoming areas mentioned that you wouldn’t want to drive around in your Lexus!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LenT said:

Er…that was just my way of saying I like carrot cake, Niaz!  😊

But I had an office in Northampton for a while - it’s a nice town.  And it’s surrounded by very attractive villages, too.  

Recalling some of the earlier posts in this thread - which has somewhat meandered - what it doesn’t have is some of the less welcoming areas mentioned that you wouldn’t want to drive around in your Lexus!

Oh sorry I understand now.

I like shoes Church's, Jeffrey West  so loved my time there.

Before I moved to one of the posh area, west something? I was living near the centre and I have heard of ladies of the night, but may goodness I used to get harassed in the morning! Oh dear, I managed 6 months there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

Most Pensioners are of an age where growing up was challenging …… and those challenges “ maketh man “‘

Growing up just Post War ( me ) seeing bombing devastation and much greater hardship than we see today generally …….. AND our parents having had a much greater difficult time of life growing up during and with the aftermath of the First War ……

Society then for the most part had a hugely tough time  …… kids today with education actually happening with whatever qualities the System can offer with good teachers and buildings etc 

More than the elder generation could often experience in their time …… my time ! 

Ffs just stop whingeing and accept it’s as good and probably better than it’s ever historically been …… 

Jeez I have 3 cars and I feel so so lucky …… my grandparents often had bugger all ….. my parents too ….., eating out at a restaurant never on the Agenda ……. enough food to eat at home often a challenge too 

I’ve never had it so good for sure as have  most here maybe 

I never want to get involved with stupid politics ….. it’s draining ….. and I don’t believe any of ‘em will make a useful difference without more money to spend …… you decide how that’s going to be “ got “ 

Malc 

I totally agree, I like to say whatever you own or drive  or the country you live in, its all borrowed, borrowed time, make the most of it!

I am living the dream actually, so no complaints at all my friend.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Newbie777 said:

I totally agree, I like to say whatever you own or drive  or the country you live in, its all borrowed, borrowed time, make the most of it!

I am living the dream actually, so no complaints at all my friend.

Not missing out at all! My slightly bigger car

20230226_082210.jpg

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Newbie777 said:

When MrsT and I retired almost 15 years ago, interest rates for our private pensions were around a modest 4% - enough to provide a reasonable income.  But within months they started to tumble until coming to rest at less than 1% - less than inflation.

Now that was good news for everyone with loans or a mortgage, but not so much for us savers!  Fortunately, we can run a nice Lexus and have a comfortable life - and that, as you suggest, is down to the personal savings we arranged for ourselves.  

But other pensioners are not so well set up.  If we had to rely purely on State Pensions - generous though I actually think they are - we would simply have to tailor our standard of living to suit.

But it’s that last point that many people find so hard to come to terms with.

• Like 3

Sorry Malc but there IS a Magic money tree, as this story from the Guardian at the time indicates. It is just not for the likes of you and me, oh, and the nurses and so on.

15 hours ago, Malc1 said:

There is no magic money tree, say the Tories: unless it’s to bribe extremists to keep them in power, or to renovate the palaces of multimillionaire monarchs. Today nurses take to the streets to demand an end to a pay freeze that has slashed the living standards of these life-saving, care-giving national heroes. One such nurse confronted Theresa May – whose lack of emotional intelligence is only matched by her lack of authority – on national television before the election. There was no magic money tree, was May’s robotic response. If the nurse had been met with a middle finger, it would scarcely have been less insulting.

On reflection about never had it so good, I think we were better off 10/15 years ago and certainly had more spare cash, but the catch is that we were in France then.----------     

Just waiting now for the reponses - "Well go back to France then ingrates"  I may well just do that or Portugal maybe? Hmm🧐

15 minutes ago, LenT said:

But it’s that last point that many people find so hard to come to terms with.

the " need " to have the expectation and then to buy everything on credit ( not just the home ) and happy to pay silly interest ......  and there's a proliferation of these finance options too .  then when there's no job to pay for it all then, well, why not moan about it and stamp your feet and shout and 'olla till someone ( us taxpayers ) cough up even more " Benefits " to dig these individuals out from the holes they've got 'emselves into 

Well, now is the time hopefully when the Benefits the Govt pays out will be more focussed and given only to those in real, and I mean a REAL hardship

Oh dear  have I upset lots again 🤔

Malc

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, LenT said:

State Pensions - generous though I actually think they are

I seem to be at odds with everyone today  -  Sorry about that.

UK state pensions are some of the worst in Europe. Check it out. It really is impossible to survive on the basic state pension alone.

Just now, GMB said:

It really is impossible to survive on the basic state pension alone.

Thankfully those of us on this forum don't have to .  we have ALL ( I'm assuming ) made sound foresight provision for our later years .......  be it in France Portugal or our blessed UK

And our choices are somewhat to spend our money on Lexii 😇

Malc

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, GMB said:

I see it is advertised at half price - I would be interested, let me know.😊

Not missing out at all! My slightly bigger car

20230226_082210.jpg

Half price eh? How does 8mpg sound?

I chose this picture as it is quite ironic, parked next to a discounted shop, it is a ubday Market, so am allowed to park here, before you ask.

40 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Thankfully those of us on this forum don't have to .  we have ALL ( I'm assuming ) made sound foresight provision for our later years .......  be it in France Portugal or our blessed UK

And our choices are somewhat to spend our money on Lexii 😇

Malc

I seem to remember you have not booked in for your portfolio management session.

I bet behind that GT we would see you with the bowl and three legged dog. In a 3 piece suit of course. Just because you are begging does not mean letting your standards drop. 🙂 

6 minutes ago, Newbie777 said:

Half price eh? How does 8mpg sound?

I chose this picture as it is quite ironic, parked next to a discounted shop, it is a ubday Market, so am allowed to park here, before you ask.

8mpg is that what they deliver? Just interested.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links