Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Although the previous owner had a Lexus dealer installation of a GW380 dash cam, the one dealers recommend, it doesn't have a screen. Installation at dealers tend to include a hard wire kit too.  I believe because it is more streamlined in it's design it's the one Lexus dealers like to offer when offering them to customers.  Dealers always fit their Nextbase cameras on the left of the rear view mirror whereas I would normally have it below the rear view mirror.  Consequently there was insufficient slack in the hard wire lead to reach the centre of the screen without unpicking the cable and starting over.  I have the camera therefore on the left but still within easy reach if I need to activate the save file button. 

However the rear screen blind on the LS500 fills the whole aperture with no room available to fix a rear screen camera to the back screen without fouling the blind. I could have transferred my rear camera from the ES300 but that would mean not being able to use the rear blind at all.    I transferred the front facing camera out of my ES after I removed the original Nextbase camera that was already in the car.  I simply prefer a camera with a screen.  In order to have a rear camera I just bought a telescopic view Nextbase rear camera which slots in to the front camera which looks through the car and out of the screen, the best compromise for me. Moreover the thought of running a rear camera cable behind the necessary close fitting trims wasn't very appealing as previously experienced on several occasions.   I don't like driving without a pair of cameras but that is the retired Insurance Assessor in me, so used was I to inspecting countless damaged cars in my working life and listening to numerous accusations of who was actually to blame. At least with a single or double camera set up you have a better chance of proving liability in the event of a dispute and all the hassle Insurance Company related matters like loss of NCD, proving liability, unrecoverable insurance excesses and possible increased premiums.  So I have a dealer approved Nextbase GW380 forward facing camera which is now spare if anyone wants a cheap camera with a SIM card. I also have a spare hard wire kit too. 

20231227_135722.jpg

20231227_135942.jpg

• Like 1

For my part, I find dash cams with screens annoying.  I've got the Lexus Nextbase kit installed with the rear view camera as well.  It is dealer installed, and they've fitted the rear camera on the parcel shelf, so the rear shade isn't an issue.  

I've used black tape to hide the white 'Nextbase' logo on the front of the camera, so it's unnoticeable from the front.  It sits right up against the car's centre camera, and doesn't interfere with the passenger's view at all, and doesn't have a flickering screen.

If I needed to see footage immediately, then I can use a tablet or a phone to communicate with it and watch or download, not that I ever do!

I've put a high endurance 128GB card in it.  Every few months I remove the card and reformat it, clearing the autosaved stuff it's saved when the car is switched off and it detects vibration.

It just gets on with its job without bothering me, which is what I like. If you're looking for a dashcam, you should make Steve an offer!

It's what I'd recommend, but each to their own.

: o )

• Like 2

The Viofo front camera has a tiny integrated screen..hard to see but easily connected to your phone.In any case the image on the camera screen switched itself off after about 30 secs..so no distractions..only a tiny red LED to show it's working.

Kevin, I'd be interested to see where the dealer put the rear camera on your car,  can you do a photo?   The dealer was obviously aware that the rear blind covers the whole screen when is use so the rear shelf is not what crossed my mind. 

I take the point about your preference of not wanting a dash cam screen.   Another Nextbase dash cam I once used in my car and then transferred to the wife's car caused me some issues when the visual screen images of both front and rear cameras  simply froze.  I would have been unaware of the fault had there been no screen as the tiny red flashing light had stopped too.   The indicator light in the GW380 that the dealer fitted for the first owner was extremely small when running but as I said I just like having a screen to confirm it's running OK.    I checked the rear camera video files from the telescopic camera that plugs directly into the front camera and was pleased to see the rear view video clips are of the same quality as the front ones.  Even though the rear view camera is looking through the car and out the back screen there are no restrictions that would stop you from seeing someone striking you from behind.    I've run rear view camera cables through to the rear screen many times and consider it to be a real pain, whether you go up and along the headlining edge  or downwards and along and behind the sill kick trims.   A plug and play telescopic view camera achieves the same result for me.    

Nextbase often run out of stock of their replacement sticky pads for various models of cameras and sometimes double sided badge tape doesn't always do the job.     I discovered Gel Tape in a garden centre  recently which is also reusable,  saw it first on  a TV advert and it's a remarkable product, sticks to glass like  S... to a shovel and yet can be peeled off very easily and reused.     

• Like 1

The photos aren't my best work, but in mitigation, it was raining at the time!

There's plenty of room behind the screen for it, as you can see, at the bottom, but it does slightly restrict the view at the bottom of the picture having it placed there, compared to the top - but as you said, the curtain would interfere with it there.

: o )

Thanks Kevin, I get that now. The Lexus installed Nextbase 380's rear camera is a similar shape but clearly smaller whereas my GW522 rear camera is very small and shaped like a ball  and attaches to a small mounting by a magnet.    Your rear view unit is better for mounting flat to the rear shelf. 

Jeff,  the plug and play rear dash cam is specific to the 322GW, 422GW, 522GW and 622GW  front dash cams so the rear camera doesn't have a specific part code. As long as you use any of the 4 models I quoted then the camera will fit.         

There is also the " cabin view camera"  which I guess is favoured by taxi drivers etc who need to record what's going on inside their cars.  £69 delivered to your door and no sticky pad mounts as it just clicks into the main body of my camera a 522GW.   

• Thanks 1

Hello ,

I am getting the Nextbase 522gw fitted on the front screen of LS600hl.

I think the rear camera will be fitted on the rear shelf.

If there are any visible gaps either side of the rear blind when it is raised, as little as 1.5 inches, you might be able to mount the rear camera for a 522GW on the glass itself.  But if the screen fills the whole glass area and you want to use it periodically then yes the rear shelf might be your only option.   

If you are buying it yourself but haven't bought it yet Nextbase are offering discounts on their cameras if you buy online direct.  If you are using a company to do the whole job for a fixed price, supply and fit then it will be unlikely the discount will be passed on to you.    I assume you are having a hard wire kit to serve both cameras.  Remember to make sure you keep the fuse box cover lid which can't be refitted to the fuse box because they will piggy back of a fuse with an adaptor which prevents the cover going back on.   If the dash cam is ever removed and the hard wire kit is removed too the fuse box cover lid should be re fitted otherwise you won't know what fuse is serving which electrical circuit. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links