Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hunt for the second ride

Not off to a very auspicious start.

1. On questioning becomes a Cat S albeit mild and fully repaired as per photos. Great MOT history, but current MOT expires next month. No service history as lost at the time of Cat S change ownership. PASS

2 Questions on photos underhood and underbody of SC 430. Promised, didn't arrive and advert disappears.

3. Questions on underbody replied to with a 'best come and look at the car', but can bet no ramp !. Explained 5hr roundtrip so please answer the following questions. Deafening silence.

4.Questions regarding gaps in MOT history. Replied on private plate ,but has paper MOT's. Hmm, from my experience changes from private plate to original plate have always ended up in the online MOT history check. PASS.

5. Most promising so far will be carrying out advisories from last MOT and invited to come over and see it on the ramp at that time. Most promising so far in terms of replies to questions and transparency.

Funny thing, for most people after buying a house buying a car may be the biggest transaction they ever make. Two observations. First the buyer often spends more times and research on where to take an holiday than what they are buying with the car. Second, vendors seem to assume the buyer is not entitled to 10 minutes of their time answering critical questions. Fudge is the order of the day. Meanwhile you can take a half day out of your life rather than 10 minutes out of theirs. PASS.

Depending on the car I have a checklist of anywhere between 12 to 20 questions to tick off. In my view that's not that many, but seems hard to get some people onboard so, PASS.

Current pet hate the overuse of ; "future classic" ; "fast appreciating asset". Cobblers !

10 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Not off to a very auspicious start.

1. On questioning becomes a Cat S albeit mild and fully repaired as per photos. Great MOT history, but current MOT expires next month. No service history as lost at the time of Cat S change ownership. PASS

2 Questions on photos underhood and underbody of SC 430. Promised, didn't arrive and advert disappears.

3. Questions on underbody replied to with a 'best come and look at the car', but can bet no ramp !. Explained 5hr roundtrip so please answer the following questions. Deafening silence.

4.Questions regarding gaps in MOT history. Replied on private plate ,but has paper MOT's. Hmm, from my experience changes from private plate to original plate have always ended up in the online MOT history check. PASS.

5. Most promising so far will be carrying out advisories from last MOT and invited to come over and see it on the ramp at that time. Most promising so far in terms of replies to questions and transparency.

Funny thing, for most people after buying a house buying a car may be the biggest transaction they ever make. Two observations. First the buyer often spends more times and research on where to take an holiday than what they are buying with the car. Second, vendors seem to assume the buyer is not entitled to 10 minutes of their time answering critical questions. Fudge is the order of the day. Meanwhile you can take a half day out of your life rather than 10 minutes out of theirs. PASS.

Depending on the car I have a checklist of anywhere between 12 to 20 questions to tick off. In my view that's not that many, but seems hard to get some people onboard so, PASS.

Current pet hate the overuse of ; "future classic" ; "fast appreciating asset". Cobblers !

Hello Boomer54 

It's not easy as every Cat S is different and really does depend on where it got hit and who did the work.

Your saying the damage was mild and a good repair job has been done, if that is the case then you may see nothing wrong underneath.

It may indeed be a fine car and you decide to buy it. So I take it you will not concerned about the selling ithe car.  Is that correct?

If that is the case then should be an absolute bargain -the seller may have tried different options to sell it. So,how long has he been trying to sell it? Has he kept dropping the  price and so keen to sell?

Most people will shy away from even lighter damage CAT N cars, but you are sensible and using caution and common sense, with checking history, MOTs. Previous bills etc

I would also check for uneven tyre wear, car pulling to one side, rattles etc

Good luck.

11 hours ago, Newbie777 said:

Hello Boomer54 

It's not easy as every Cat S is different and really does depend on where it got hit and who did the work.

Your saying the damage was mild and a good repair job has been done, if that is the case then you may see nothing wrong underneath.

It may indeed be a fine car and you decide to buy it. So I take it you will not concerned about the selling ithe car.  Is that correct?

If that is the case then should be an absolute bargain -the seller may have tried different options to sell it. So,how long has he been trying to sell it? Has he kept dropping the  price and so keen to sell?

Most people will shy away from even lighter damage CAT N cars, but you are sensible and using caution and common sense, with checking history, MOTs. Previous bills etc

I would also check for uneven tyre wear, car pulling to one side, rattles etc

Good luck.

The Cat S in and of itself did not put me off although I will say in relative terms I think the price was on the rich side given that status. It was new to market though so may be he starts high goes low if necessary. That is a a logical approach to take. No what put me off was the distance was prohibitive given the collective issues of lack of service history and the impending MOT expiry. With a car that age I personally think a very recent MOT is a must have for anyone who does not the experience to crawl all over that car and know what they are looking at. The MOT and any advisories ,or even lack of them covers for that lack of experience which definitely describes me.

• Like 1

There is a face-lift  2012 LS600hl on auto trader it is Cat S, but the trader does not mention any info in the ad.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202309031501732

It is on for £12k and now checked  it is reduced to £11.5k Only done 137k. 

But upon closer Inspection. Someone said it is not what it seems and the trader is adamant it is cheap.

I am sure but I think it has been advertised a few times and at different prices.

So what do I think? IMHO..

1. Not everyone wants such a big car  it is expensive on insurance, hard to source parts etc etc.

2. Buying this car is a risk and whoever buys it, knows they will not be able to sell it or get a good price for it.

3. Some people are not helpful answering questions and want a quick sell. The pressurising is not good.

Hard to put a price on it, without looking, quick guess could be £8k or £9k, it is the face-lift model, with dvd but no rsr though.

The warranty may help sell it, but it won't cover the hybrid Battery.

2 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Won't hybrid battery be warranted by Lexus until 2027?

That is depends on Battery health check being done, so in theory warranty is 12 months or 10,000 miles, upto 15 years.

I hear on the newer cars warranty is 8 years?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links