Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

UX 300e range problem

Having issues with my 2022 UX300e. Now done several trips just over 100 miles. Have clocked 10 mile intervals mileage travelled compared to Battery range and for every 10 miles travelled 15 miles used on Battery. So on motorway/freeway travel the range is 120 miles with air con off. Have left it in for a diagnostic check with local Lexus garage and they say all checks indicate Battery is fine. No idea what to do next . Anyone having similar issues with the UX 300e? 

• Sad 1

That sounds about the same as me. It’s an Urban eXplorer so not designed to travel long distances. As a rule of thumb I half the shown range with air con on to work out when I need to charge. Which in effect means a range of 100 miles from fully charged or realistically 50 miles from home.

What miles per kWhr are you getting? I am currently 2.7 but was up to 4 in summer.  Higher speeds use more electric.

The only thing you can do about it is plan a route to charge on the go at services or to buy a petrol hybrid. 

• Like 1

Thanks Paul, very useful. Pity no one at the Lexus garage could tell me that. They did not even know the Chademo charging point would only ever charge at a max of 50kw, I have only ever had 38kw max. So not a great design if range is limited to less than 100m on motorway  journeys. Have also read that the new UX 300e which boasts a 250m range has the same Chademo charging set up.

My average has dropped from 3.2 to 3.0. Going to check range on Urban driving over next couple of weeks as no long trips planned. Have not done that before.

I did have the petrol Hybrid UX which was a great drive. Hence went for 300e which is a great drive too. However range and charging experience falls well short of what is advertised.

Welcome to LOC by the way.

The predicted range figures are a bit like MPG figures and never accurate and always look better than they are. I think the WLTP figure means Would Like To Predict! I have not tried to charge mine via the Chademo yet.

At least when you get used to having to charge frequently its a nice drive. As you are in Greater London, perhaps you can take some solace from the fact that it is electric with a poor range and charging speed so may be less likely to be stolen.

Enjoy 

Paul

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

As you are in Greater London, perhaps you can take some solace from the fact that it is electric with a poor range and charging speed so may be less likely to be stolen.

That's probably one of the best reasons I've seen for a buying a 300e. That started my day off with a laugh!

• Haha 1

Thanks yes live on edge of West London not that far from Heathrow.

Travel to Birmingham a bit as my son lives there, cannot get to Brum on a single charge. Have used the new bp Giga chargers at the NEC and still only get 38kwh charging speed on Chademo.  Cannot try the other port which is Type 2 as faster rapid chargers either have Chademo, CCS or Tesla chargers.  Think the type 2 is limited to 42kw anyways.  So on face of it 2022 UX 300e will never charge at 50kw.  Pointless paying for faster rapid charging when you cannot get it! Better to use a home charger or the mid rapid charger (50kw).  Otherwise you are paying over the odds for charging as faster rapid chargers cost more per unit. You probably know that anyway.

On another note have heard many manufacturers now adopting CCS and Tesla as main inputs.  Japanese manufacturers generally not doing that. But hopefully Lexus will at least adopt CCS.  

30 minutes ago, Gary-M said:

But hopefully Lexus will at least adopt CCS.  

Lexus use CCS on the RZ. It is a mystery to me why they stuck with Chademo when they made all the useful upgrades to the 300e. If the 300e used CCS I would have probably bought one instead of the RZ

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, John Adams said:

It is a mystery to me why they stuck with Chademo when they made all the useful upgrades to the 300e.

Yes, stupid decision but I suspect it was too big a change for just a facelift and it still suits their primary market, Japan. They really should have fitted European models with CCS as Chademo is dead here.

1 hour ago, Gary-M said:

Japanese manufacturers generally not doing that. But hopefully Lexus will at least adopt CCS.  

The Japanese manufacturers grouped together to create Chademo, hence why they are trying to cling onto it - but they have virtually all moved to CCS for Europe and Tesla NACS in NA, even Toyota, for new models.

Just to echo other comments that the range you are seeing at this time of year is normal. The heating system is not efficient, there is no heat pump, so it saps loads of energy out the Battery. The car is not that efficient to start with. Driving style and use of heating does still make a big difference. My wife mainly drives ours and on the last fill range was sub 100 miles, low 2’s miles per kWh. She just drives it, leaves the heating on etc. All of that is fine, and arguably how a car should be used, but I drive for efficiency and turn the heating on only when needed, then back off etc. When I was using it more around Christmas I was averaging low to mid 3’s over a charge.

When it’s cold the Lexus is using not far off twice the electricity to travel the same distance as our previous Kia Soul EV did! 

• Like 1

I had an early Renault Zoe back in 2015 and the range on that practically halved in the winter and that was with a heat pump.  It's the same with our smaller Hybrid batteries, they are more inefficient in the winter too and take on less charge, therefore give worse economy, just not on such a large scale.  

It's a sacrifice I am willing to take for the great smooth driving experience. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone see the report in the Daily Mail today about EV range being wildly inaccurate? As if we didn't already know.

They specifically mentioned the UX300e as being the worst for advertised range to 'real world'. In fact I wouldn't call it that 'real' as they kept the cars out overnight in cold weather then drove them around a track until they died. In a 'real' situation I'm sure that Hills, Traffic, Heater Use, etc. would have an even greater affect on the averages. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links