Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ghost 2 problems with ES

I was supposed to have a Ghost 2 installed on my ES today. Just before l set off l got a call from the installer saying when he tried to download the software from Autowatch the software wasn't available as there has been compatibility issues with the ES. Autowatch say they are looking for an update fix. Very disappointed.

Your installer is correct, there are problems. Lexus have also been made aware, so I'm waiting for what other nonsense they're going to spout as a solution. The question they've been asked, do you have a recommended second immobiliser and more importantly an authorised installer that will not invalidate the warranty? I.e. if problems arise from this will you fix it under warranty?

1 hour ago, peniole said:

Your installer is correct, there are problems. Lexus have also been made aware, so I'm waiting for what other nonsense they're going to spout as a solution. The question they've been asked, do you have a recommended second immobiliser and more importantly an authorised installer that will not invalidate the warranty? I.e. if problems arise from this will you fix it under warranty?

Do you know what the problem relates to? There's mention on the NX forum of it being a Battery drain problem. I did ask the installer when l booked it in, and he said he wasn't aware of a Battery problem, however when he tried to download the Autowatch software this morning it flagged up a problem with an advisory not to fit to the ES.

No idea on specifics, but yes Battery drain seems to come up as well as non start.

Lexus response now is, no we don't have a recommended 2nd immobiliser, even though they used to mention getting a ghost installed.

49 minutes ago, peniole said:

No idea on specifics, but yes battery drain seems to come up as well as non start.

Lexus response now is, no we don't have a recommended 2nd immobiliser, even though they used to mention getting a ghost installed.

Do you happen to know if this is an ES specific issue or may affect NX gen 1 too? Thanks 

5 hours ago, beyond the blue said:

Do you know what the problem relates to? There's mention on the NX forum of it being a battery drain problem. I did ask the installer when l booked it in, and he said he wasn't aware of a battery problem, however when he tried to download the Autowatch software this morning it flagged up a problem with an advisory not to fit to the ES.

I have the NX 300h Battery draining issue with Ghost 2 and now in contact with my installer & Autowatch for solution.

It could be software issue keeps the ghost Immobilizer awake while they only need to activate and go to sleep mode.

They booked my car in on February 7th hopefully that will solve my issue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peniole said:

It is quite a position Lexus UK have put themselves in for the ES! Your vehicle can be stolen in minutes due to key systems having no encryption. We will not do anything about this such as a recall or service based modification. We also do not recommend a method how you can protect your vehicle to make it fit for purpose. It is really beyond belief....

I suspect Ghost and similar products are reverse engineered (as the full design specifications are not publicly available), hence these compatibility issues may occur.  But better this has been identified rather than a failed install which may cause unintended issues.

Clearly, Lexus owns the IPR and could develop a similar solution to address the Can bus issue if they so desired....

20 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

I suspect Ghost and similar products are reverse engineered (as the full design specifications are not publicly available), hence these compatibility issues may occur.  But better this has been identified rather than a failed install which may cause unintended issues.

Clearly, Lexus owns the IPR and could develop a similar solution to address the Can bus issue if they so desired....

I don't know how accurate this is, but the installer told me this morning that the Autowatch database shows that there are only 150 ES cars in the UK that have a Ghost immobiliser fitted. It may be a case that Autowatch doesn't think it's worth coming up with a fix for such a low volume of sales. I hope not.

Well yet another let down. After Autowatch released a new software update my ES went in for the Ghost to be fitted this morning. Half an hour after dropping it off l got a call saying the new software still won't accept the ES. Hopefully Autowatch will look into it again and come up with another fix.

• Sad 1

Have you tried looking into Meta track 5 with deadlock and OBD immobilizer? Someone on the forum said that he had this on his ES and you get a better package... A bit more expensive, but might be a good option... He said that he had 2 theft attempts on his ES, and ended up selling it to avoid more attempts because damage will still be done even if they can't drive the car away...

https://www.trackershop-uk.com/metatrak-s5-deadlock-pro.html

4 hours ago, mister_johnn said:

Have you tried looking into Meta track 5 with deadlock and OBD immobilizer? Someone on the forum said that he had this on his ES and you get a better package... A bit more expensive, but might be a good option... He said that he had 2 theft attempts on his ES, and ended up selling it to avoid more attempts because damage will still be done even if they can't drive the car away...

https://www.trackershop-uk.com/metatrak-s5-deadlock-pro.html

I hadn't looked into it no, but having done so now, it doesn't seem to be an alternative to the Ghost system, more tracker based. I discussed alternatives with the installer who also fits tracker systems but in his opinion anything other than a Ghost would be a compromise. l've done all l can while it's on the driveway, l use a steering lock there's also electric gates they would have to smash through to get off the drive. I've got cameras all over the property, although that's not going to stop them. I'm just going to wait to see if Autowatch come up with a fix for the ES.

5 hours ago, beyond the blue said:

I hadn't looked into it no, but having done so now, it doesn't seem to be an alternative to the Ghost system, more tracker based. I discussed alternatives with the installer who also fits tracker systems but in his opinion anything other than a Ghost would be a compromise. l've done all l can while it's on the driveway, l use a steering lock there's also electric gates they would have to smash through to get off the drive. I've got cameras all over the property, although that's not going to stop them. I'm just going to wait to see if Autowatch come up with a fix for the ES.

Ok. Try asking about this one, seems to be doing a similar job to Ghost

15 hours ago, beyond the blue said:

I discussed alternatives with the installer who also fits tracker systems but in his opinion anything other than a Ghost would be a compromise.

Sounds like one of the new breed of " security " installers that have jumped on the bandwagon, all they can fit is trackers & Ghosts. 

59 minutes ago, Toyota Owner said:

Sounds like one of the new breed of " security " installers that have jumped on the bandwagon, all they can fit is trackers & Ghosts. 

Do they? Established in 2012.  https://autotechvehiclesecurity.co.uk/  Besides I thought you left the forum last July???

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I understand a Ghost may be defeated by connection under the front wing to the headlamp. I opted for a Startline Pro which although not Thatcham approved and not recognised yet by the insurance industry overcomes this problem.  This is my car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links