Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sell it, or breaking and scrap it? - IS200 Sport

Looking for a little advice. I have an 2003 IS200 (105k mileage) that was broken into, then stolen and recovered about a year ago. The back windscreen was smashed, and crowbar damage was done to the boot and rear speaker, rear seats, smashed steering lock etc.

I was origianlly going to get it all repaired, however my mechanic has been unable (or unwilling perhaps) to find all the required parts, and Autoglass has also not been able to source a replacement tinted rear windscreen.

I've pretty much given up on it, but wondered if anyone on the forums thinks it might be worth salvaging? It's a stock factory IS200 Sport with the nice factory body kit and 18' alloys (also have 2 spare matching wheels with summer tyres).

Oh yeah, it also has the classic rotten sill issue in front of the rear wheel arches. Was going to get that fixed, but car was broken into, stolen, then recovered just before that was due to happen.

image.thumb.png.a8a31d80b5d1c8d984786737c2652f19.png

Passenger side sill (it's worse now as has been sitting)

image.thumb.png.c45d4e8823481d39ded9ead430bde63f.png

Drivers side sill. Inner structural leaf is in good condition, but this after I started picking off the paint to see how bad it was.

image.thumb.png.be37b3fb208d805469e816f79ff9644e.png

Rear speaker (I have a replacement)

image.thumb.png.6807ea66b7c1f7ef1cd32818ade484d7.png

So, scrap for parts or sell, what do you reckon?

Edited by killakrust
spelling error

Hi Justin and welcome to the LOC.

Given the age of the car, the rust issues, the damage and obsolete parts I think you are down to scrapping or breaking.

If you have the space, time and patience break it then get the shell collected or get it collected complete for scrap.

As cars age the demand for spare parts tends to decrease as there are fewer cars requiring parts, wheels normally go first if in good condition with legal tyres but if that’s all you sell you now have a shell on bricks making it more difficult to remove.

If someone wants the engine are you happy to remove it for them not to turn up?

• Like 1

Agree if you have the space, time and interest scrap it and sell the parts. I scrapped my LS430 with 220k on the clock and achieved more for the parts than the retail value. Then just had the shell collected. Really enjoyable to see the engineering up close. All through eb..

• Like 2

Cheers guys. I think the IS300 and Toyota Altezza in this shape are still quite sought after, so would probably have been worth restoring. The IS200 not so much, so I guess I'll be paying the mechanic a visit to see about breaking it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 4:11 PM, Shamus said:

I’d be very interested if you where to sell it, what would be the price you have in mind ? 

£800 I reckon. The wheels and tyres alone should fetch $400 easy.

The IS200s have now reached the stage where there are more spares than cars remaining on the road so £400.00 is a little optimistic for the wheels and tyres unless they are both immaculate and fitted with new tyres.

I have a full set in my shed, been there years so tyres will be no good now and probably worth more weighed in as scrap. ( Free to collect if anyone wants them).

If you do decide to break the car, let me know if i can grab the drive shafts. I have a welded diff but no shafts to fit my IS250. From my understanding the splines are the same size for the hub. I have the input half shafts so just the other half's i require.  

Plus i'm in the west midlands also 😁

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links