Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Need Help and Advice on Leather Seat

1 hour ago, Pm4 said:

Any comments on the results after the steam treatment? 

Hi Guy's, 

Was busy at work, this is how it went :

Dropped the car off on the 19th and was given a Loan 23 Plate UX 250H Sport, got a phone call telling me this Steam machine will be coming on the 20th. 

Got a phone call saying it's done, so I went the next day, I was very disappointed after the treatment the creases were slightly visable, but after a week they're back to how it was. 

I told the service agent the creases are still there and she said give it a couple of months, I'm not waiting that long I'll give it couple of days. 

She said something very interesting "Are you guys aware that the Leather seats on the Takumi are just seat Covers" 

She said the 1st attempt is to steam the crease out, which it didn't, and the next is to change the Leather seat cover, and not only that steaming the cover they left a couple of scuff marks. 

I'm sending some photos, you can compare the photos of the seat from my first post to this one 

IMG_20240327_160122.jpg

IMG_20240327_160107.jpg

IMG_20240327_160055.jpg

IMG_20240327_160051.jpg

4 minutes ago, S Dhuper said:

Hi Guy's, 

Was busy at work, this is how it went :

Dropped the car off on the 19th and was given a Loan 23 Plate UX 250H Sport, got a phone call telling me this Steam machine will be coming on the 20th. 

Got a phone call saying it's done, so I went the next day, I was very disappointed after the treatment the creases were slightly visable, but after a week they're back to how it was. 

I told the service agent the creases are still there and she said give it a couple of months, I'm not waiting that long I'll give it couple of days. 

She said something very interesting "Are you guys aware that the Leather seats on the Takumi are just seat Covers" 

She said the 1st attempt is to steam the crease out, which it didn't, and the next is to change the Leather seat cover, and not only that steaming the cover they left a couple of scuff marks. 

I'm sending some photos, you can compare the photos of the seat from my first post to this one 

IMG_20240327_160122.jpg

IMG_20240327_160107.jpg

IMG_20240327_160055.jpg

IMG_20240327_160051.jpg

I don't understand why leaving it any time at all would change the current situation. The heat is supposed to basically tighten the leather at a structural level (fibres). However, when the heat is removed and the temperature of the material normalises the effect stops and you are left with whatever you have got. I see no logic in the agents suggestion.

You have my sympathy on this one. I would be unhappy to be buying leatherwork to see it degrade that quickly.

Hold out for better.

Many thanks for the update, I was wondering about this thread only the other day and where we were up to with the case... 

I had a feeling that steaming the seat wouldn't really work but didn't want to say anything at the time in case I was proven wrong. I could imagine a steamer flattening out the creases for sure, but not actually doing anything with regards to the marks caused by the creases - which looks to be the case judging from your pictures. 

I'm happy that they suggested it as an option to begin with but now it's become clear it really needs a new cover (I'm surprised to hear that they are just covers...). This is something that I would be perusing, personally. 

18 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

I don't understand why leaving it any time at all would change the current situation. The heat is supposed to basically tighten the leather at a structural level (fibres). However, when the heat is removed and the temperature of the material normalises the effect stops and you are left with whatever you have got. I see no logic in the agents suggestion.

You have my sympathy on this one. I would be unhappy to be buying leatherwork to see it degrade that quickly.

Hold out for better.

Thanks for those kind words, with the money I spent on the 350H Takumi I could have gone for any of the Germans, but Lexus is supposed to be the best of best for Luxury, Refinement, Reliability only time will tell, this could be just a one of, the Passenger seat is in immaculate condition and it does get used a

8 minutes ago, Gary H said:

Many thanks for the update, I was wondering about this thread only the other day and where we were up to with the case... 

I had a feeling that steaming the seat wouldn't really work but didn't want to say anything at the time in case I was proven wrong. I could imagine a steamer flattening out the creases for sure, but not actually doing anything with regards to the marks caused by the creases - which looks to be the case judging from your pictures. 

I'm happy that they suggested it as an option to begin with but now it's become clear it really needs a new cover (I'm surprised to hear that they are just covers...). This is something that I would be perusing, personally. 

I'll Leave it until Monday and give them a call, even I was surprised being a seat cover, but she showed me the Zipper, if you open the rear door and look on the side of the seat you can see the Zip 

Sudershan, I refer back to my opinion in that the seat cover when fitted at the factory wasn't stretched  enough when it was fastened to the frame.   Look at any YouTube video which shows a factory built car in the leather/trim area of the factory and you will often see trimmers  pulling the covers taught before they secure  in place.  The seat covers are all built to the same pattern/size so there would be no variation in size, i.e  a smaller or larger seat cover.  

If the cover is not stretched enough then further down the line, a few months in your case the small amount of slack will allow the cover to move.  If it can move then creases are the result.   I agree with Boomer54, this is the dealer trying to fob you off with the cheapest alternative to what the seat really needs which is,   either the complete dismantling of the seat base, re stretch the cover and secure it or if it were me I would demand a new seat cover.   A professional trimmer would take this problem in his stride and fix it permanently.  

The photo is of my driver's seat which is 6.5 years old.   It is a LS Premier model the equivalent today of what they now call Takumi level.  It is semi analine leather like yours and has done 34,000 miles and there are  no creases or issues with the leather.   

Send a contact form off to Lexus via their website and complain and tell them you feel you are being messed around by the dealer.  Just how many more weeks does this dealer want to string this out?

Seat 6 years old.jpg

1 hour ago, SH20 said:

Sudershan, I refer back to my opinion in that the seat cover when fitted at the factory wasn't stretched  enough when it was fastened to the frame.   Look at any YouTube video which shows a factory built car in the leather/trim area of the factory and you will often see trimmers  pulling the covers taught before they secure  in place.  The seat covers are all built to the same pattern/size so there would be no variation in size, i.e  a smaller or larger seat cover.  

If the cover is not stretched enough then further down the line, a few months in your case the small amount of slack will allow the cover to move.  If it can move then creases are the result.   I agree with Boomer54, this is the dealer trying to fob you off with the cheapest alternative to what the seat really needs which is,   either the complete dismantling of the seat base, re stretch the cover and secure it or if it were me I would demand a new seat cover.   A professional trimmer would take this problem in his stride and fix it permanently.  

The photo is of my driver's seat which is 6.5 years old.   It is a LS Premier model the equivalent today of what they now call Takumi level.  It is semi analine leather like yours and has done 34,000 miles and there are  no creases or issues with the leather.   

Send a contact form off to Lexus via their website and complain and tell them you feel you are being messed around by the dealer.  Just how many more weeks does this dealer want to string this out?

Seat 6 years old.jpg

I'm going to call them on Monday and see what they say, that's what I thought originally the seat cover is too loose. 

Your seats looking good for a six year old 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this topic @S Dhuper

I came on here again looking to see which products folks used to care for the leather seats.  My driver seat has some minor creases at 6 months and 4,500 miles, but nowhere near the markings on yours.  

Having also gone through the saga for a 2nd key fob, getting the locking wheel nuts fitted and the original lifetime wait for the car in the first place I was hoping I could just enjoy the car.  A little concerned that my driver seat might start to resemble a Prius taxi that’s done 150,000 miles.

I’ve got my first service in August so will see if it gets any worse by then. 

Seat.thumb.png.99a812f1aa787836f2053e282ecd91ce.png

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links