Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

SC430 update after 2 months ownership

mickw322

So, after driving back to France and getting acquainted with the SC here are some views, opinions, things to fix and general questions.

Firstly I'm still working on the brake judder//pulsating problem I first encountered. After removing the 20mm wheel spacers and getting the wheels balanced and brakes inspected, the problem is better but not fixed as it still vibrates at lower speeds and not at all speeds.

I have bought new discs, pads, ABS sensors and wheel bearings for each corner and am having them fit next week, not a small job and something I am unable to do myself so have entrusted my local mechanic to tackle (anybody know the torque spec, for the hub nut, 199NM I've heard).

After a good clean and removing the boot trim I found water in the left and right lower areas near the rear wheel arches, given that the car had been stood under trees for the Winter and had been pressure washed to within an inch of it's life before the sale I'm of the opinion that it's not a leak per se. I have cleaned and treated the seals with Shin-Etsu, and completely dried the area and everything looks good so far.

Other observations – after a quick burst on the non UK motorway at approx. 100 mph, I felt the back end was not very well planted when negotiating a sweeping curve, you know the scene, you're giving it some legs on a good piece of motorway that has a long radius curve and the back end starts to feel loose, not dangerous but also not confident. The car has as new tyres and recent new rear shocks so was wondering if this is it's normal comfy GT suspension setup.

On a positive note I really enjoy driving the SC, it's comfy, quiet and has a nice turn of speed especially in 3rd and 4th, looking forward to cruising with the top down in Summer.

All advice/opinions welcome as it's a keeper and just trying to make it as good as it can be without breaking the bank.

• Like 1

The judder/pulsate you mention, does it happen through the pedal just before you come to a stop ?

water leak in boot..take light units out and clean muck out of gully.

Then use some sealer around the white push in lamp locator pins, and maybe the cable as it goes through the body .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bob King said:

The judder/pulsate you mention, does it happen through the pedal just before you come to a stop ?

Yes, used to happen at all speeds until I removed the spacers, now it only happens when slowing down from 30mph. 

3 hours ago, mickw322 said:

Yes, used to happen at all speeds until I removed the spacers, now it only happens when slowing down from 30mph. 

I would have a look at the ABS reluctor rings on the driveshafts before you buy any of the other parts .

Can show up as a ABS pulsate from the pedal just before you stop .

• Like 1

I already have new rear reluctor rings which will be installed when the bearings are done. I was going to do just 1 job at a time i.e. new discs and pads first, but got some good deals on all the parts I purchased and the mechanic can do them all in one shot. 

Hopefully that will fix the annoying judder/pulsating problem. By comparison I had new discs and pads fitted to my RX last year which has over twice the mileage (164k), never had a problem with judder or ABS and presumably still on its original sensors and bearings.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2024 at 11:02 AM, Bob King said:

I would have a look at the ABS reluctor rings on the driveshafts before you buy any of the other parts .

Can show up as a ABS pulsate from the pedal just before you stop .

I used to have judder at the pedal when braking at low speeds. The castellations on the rear reluctor rings were badly worn. New driveshafts complete with reluctor rings solved it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomtit said:

I used to have judder at the pedal when braking at low speeds. The castellations on the rear reluctor rings were badly worn. New driveshafts complete with reluctor rings solved it.

What made you buy new driveshafts? Reluctor rings are about £10 each, not sure how much driveshafts are but I'm thinking expensive.

10 hours ago, mickw322 said:

What made you buy new driveshafts? Reluctor rings are about £10 each, not sure how much driveshafts are but I'm thinking expensive.

I intend to keep the car and saw this as an investment. I may not be fit enough to crawl around under the car at a later date. With new driveshafts I also got the benefit of new bearings and rubber boots, so I won't have to worry about these wearing out. I think the driveshafts were about £280 including postage from Rockauto.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links