Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Timing Belt

imw

In September '22 I made my first enquiry to the Forum, asking advice as to whether to change my LS 430/2004/near 100.000 miles for an LS 460. Your replies said 'NO'! 100%. I still have the 430, and remain delighted with it, thanks to you all!

Now done 106,000 + miles and the annual service approaches. I stopped using Lexus main dealers after 90,000 miles, purely on cost grounds, as I have an excellent non-dealer alternative, but we are both a little confused as to the necessity of changing the timing belt at this stage. Original Lexus dealer went by 10 years or 60,000 miles, whichever was the earlier, so they replaced the original belt in 2014/55,000 miles. Car is now 20 years old - but my original Lexus Service Manual only stipulates every 100,000 miles, without any time reference.

Any advice would be appreciated - just as it was last time!

Ian Warren.

Did the Main Dealer also replace the waterpump and ancillaries at that time ? 
If they did then “ rest easy “ 

If they didn’t then you might want to have the full job done again …… just in case …… If they did then I would suggest you’re in no great rush to have it done this time around after just some 40k miles 

Just as important…… was the radiator too changed coz if not then that is certainly now due to avoid the potential oil mix scenario happening 

Just my thoughts from years of reading the posts here 🤞

Good luck

Malc 

The LS430 manual states 10 years or 90,000 miles, whichever comes sooner.
However, I have only ever heard of one cambelt failure in an LS and that was a severely neglected LS430 in the USA with 180k miles on the original belt in Arizona (hot and dry!).
Mine (2004) was first changed in April 2013 at 75000 miles. The car is now at 140k miles so I will be getting it done later this year as it is now 20 years old.
That said, I inspected the belt a few months ago and it looked immaculate. No damaged teeth, no wear, no cracking, so I am not at all worried.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're keeping the car then change it, for peace of mind. On the other hand, if you're thinking of selling then also change it. It's a selling point. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links