Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have an LS 400 but want to move into the modern Lexus world, so I am looking for a comfortable drive and ride above all else as it's what I have become accustomed too! Tried a Toyota Corolla and that was too firm and jiggly a ride so then tried a Toyota Camry and whilst that was better it was still a bit too firm for me. Having tested them both and then getting back into my LS 400 I realised how smooth a ride it still was! So now looking to test drive A GS 300H I did travel down to Lexus Hatfield on Thursday morning to test a Executive version but when I got there was told one of the wheels had been taken off and sent for a refurb. To say I was mad would be an understatement and not what I expect from a Lexus dealership! I must say it was a lovely looking car and even more so in the flesh, so now waiting for them to tell me when it's ready for another go. I would not bother with them but there are not that many GS 300's about and I really want 17 inch wheels on, as again it's all about comfort for me. I suppose I could get a Luxury and swap out the wheels as I think the only difference between them seems to be slightly thinner rear discs on the Luxury. Advice is always welcome and driver experience on the ride. Thanks in anticipation.

Is there much of a difference between the updated model and the older in ride/comfort? Do the 18inch wheels make that much of a difference? How does the Premier ride pre update?

Not any pre 31st March 2017 updated cars for sale as I guess people holding onto them for the very low road tax.

My car is 2012 Premier with 18' wheels (it's 450H but I don't think this will make a difference) and if I had to rate how smooth the suspension is I would give it 6/10.  My dad's 22 year-old E-Class with 16" rides much much smoother, but I will still get the GS because I enjoy the balance between comfort and firmness.

I haven't driven a facelifted car with 17's. The ride should be slightly better but still won't be comparable to the LS.

The thing with all new cars is that they are trying too hard to be sporty because big wheels and aggressive bumpers sell more cars. 

It would be great if you could share your thoughts once you drive a car with 17" wheels. 

• Like 3

I have a phase 4 facelift GS450h Premier, and previously had a pre-face lift GS450h Premier.

The  premier and f sport GS450h have larger front disc brakes and 17” wheels will not fit. I am unsure about the GS300h. The Newer car has 19” wheels, the ride is OK, but the tyres and wheels are more likely to be damaged by kerbs and bumps I think. The facelift drives and rides better than the previous model. I would get the facelift if you can. My notes are below:

I have listed the differences between the pre and post face-lift premier cars. 

Face lift has the Lexus Safety System + LSS+

- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)

- Pre-Crash Safety system (PCS)

- Lane Keep Assist (LKA)

- Sway Warning

- Traffic Signal Recognition (TSR)

- Automatic High Beam system

Facelift has Blind spot BSM and rear cross traffic alert RCTA, Pre-face-lift only has Blind spot indicator.

Head-up display. This became available in around 2015 in the GS as I think an optional extra. It is standard in the facelift.

Headlights.

Facelift has 3 Eye LED headlamps with AHS (Adaptive High-beam System)

Pre face lift has headlights that point toward direction of steering, but do not blank out light to other road users on full beam.

Interior.

Facelift analogue clock is automatically set by GPS or similar which is handy whereas pre-facelift car is manually set.

Main display is split screen so two different items may be displayed, Sat Nav is updated, though there appears to be no speed limit display or recognition on the sat nav that I can find.

Steering wheel display is much more comprehensive, the LSS+ features can be set here.

Heated steering wheel with wood rim in facelift, compared with full leather no heating in older car.

Display controls in front of armrest are more comprehensive and better.

Rear camera picture quality is markedly improved in facelift.

Seat patterns are slightly different but the seats feel and adjust the same. In the facelift I have set the seat heating so it come on when the car starts and stays on at 3 bars, features I could not do in previous car.

Driving; comparing a 25k newer car with a 80k older car. 

The steering on the facelift is much more direct and not at all vague. The suspension is much better, with fewer crashes in potholes and none of the very slight swaying in older car.

I would have thought the engine and transmission are pretty much identical, and the consumption figures so far a very similar (about 40mpg in summer.)

Drive mode for facelift includes the ‘customise’ setting where you can specify desired throttle response, suspension and eco/normal aircon settings.

I was worried that the ride would be harsh on the 19” wheels compared to the older car’s 18” wheels, but it is fine.

Overall the facelift is a better car due to the improved steering, suspension, LSS+ features and displays. 

• Like 5

An interesting and useful comparison. My car is a GS300h Premier, pre face lift.

A couple of nit-picks:

My car has RCTA and head-up display. It has 18" wheels and the larger discs - I didn't know 17" wheels wouldn't fit but can well believe it. The sat nav shows speed limits (not always accurately, but my last map update was 2019). I think that improvements/spec changes are incremental and come in randomly during model life, so some pre face lift will have features that others don't and that probably carries on for post face lift as well.

I don't think the ride is all that wonderful - I'd  agree with the post somewhere that gave it 6/10.

I understand that pre facelift cars are Euro V and post are Euro VI

My road tax is £25 per annum.

I love my car and expect to keep it for many years!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I test drove the GS300h and I must say it's a lovely car the CVT gearbox is so much quieter on this compared to the Corolla/Camry, proper soundproofing I think. Had it ridden a bit softer I would have bought it but again when I got back into the LS 400 I realised how comfortable a car it was especially it being 27 years old. Tried out a modern Skoda Superb and that was a little firm for me so I will try that car with DCC fitted and if that doesn't do it for me I shall keep the LS 400! Thanks for the input and enjoy your cars!

I think the GS300h with adaptive suspension with a comfort mode would have been perfect!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 3:00 PM, shanra said:

Well I test drove the GS300h and I must say it's a lovely car the CVT gearbox is so much quieter on this compared to the Corolla/Camry, proper soundproofing I think. Had it ridden a bit softer I would have bought it but again when I got back into the LS 400 I realised how comfortable a car it was especially it being 27 years old. Tried out a modern Skoda Superb and that was a little firm for me so I will try that car with DCC fitted and if that doesn't do it for me I shall keep the LS 400! Thanks for the input and enjoy your cars!

I think the GS300h with adaptive suspension with a comfort mode would have been perfect!

With a budget of 20k perhaps consider the ES 300h. Its more modern than the GS and is more comfort oriented than the GS that was meant to be a mid sized sports sedan.

• Like 1

Ended up buying a Skoda Superb with DCC which helps with the comfort. It's no Lexus/Toyota but it was a matter of compromise.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, shanra said:

Ended up buying a Skoda Superb with DCC which helps with the comfort. It's no Lexus/Toyota but it was a matter of compromise.

Either way hope it serves you well and provides trouble free motoring. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links