Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Did I expect too much from the CT?

clonzana

Had the car a good 6 or 7 months now. Drives great, economical, lovely materials and comfortable seats.

as you’ll all know, the ride is very harsh and basically touching any of the interior trim causes a creaking noise, to a much greater extent than the Yaris hybrid I traded in for this. 

Sat in a Volvo this afternoon and touched around the interior trim, which was practically bulletproof. Not a single creak or movement. 

is this simply because the CT is Lexus’ entry level car? Presumably the ES (which I am looking at next) will be built much better? I’ll be going for a test drive soon. Thanks!

23 minutes ago, clonzana said:

is this simply because the CT is Lexus’ entry level car? Presumably the ES (which I am looking at next) will be built much better? I’ll be going for a test drive soon. Thanks!

Partially. Many older Lexus models are like this too, the series II GS for example.  Newer vehicles, like the ES, are definitely improved in this area, although the materials themselves may not be as nice as they once were. 

1 hour ago, clonzana said:

touching any of the interior trim causes a creaking noise

CT does have a harsher ride than most vehicles I've driven, especially if you have larger rims fitted or the F sport. Having said this, mine is going on almost 11 years, and I don't notice any creaks in the cabin. Probably also depends on whether is was bought from new, what year model it was, and how the previous owner used it (if bought used).

Sat in a Volvo this afternoon

I will say that I did seat in a Volvo the other day, and I do agree with your points in relation to that. 

11 hours ago, AlwaysEddie said:

CT does have a harsher ride than most vehicles I've driven, especially if you have larger rims fitted or the F sport. Having said this, mine is going on almost 11 years, and I don't notice any creaks in the cabin. Probably also depends on whether is was bought from new, what year model it was, and how the previous owner used it (if bought used).

I will say that I did seat in a Volvo the other day, and I do agree with your points in relation to that. 

Was you wearing the obligatory, flat cap? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, clonzana said:

as you’ll all know, the ride is very harsh and basically touching any of the interior trim causes a creaking noise, to a much greater extent than the Yaris hybrid.

I have both the CT and the Yaris, never noticed any issues with the CT, very smooth drive not harsh at all. No problems with the interior trim. So no we do not all know. The Yaris is a much harsher ride and rattle's much more. Clearly not built better than the CT. Good car but not a patch on the CT.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moleman said:

I have both the CT and the Yaris, never noticed any issues with the CT, very smooth drive not harsh at all. No problems with the interior trim. So no we do not all know. The Yaris is a much harsher ride and rattle's much more. Clearly not built better than the CT. Good car but not a patch on the CT.

Are you sure you own a CT and a Yaris?

The CT is globally acknowledged to have a harsh ride, and a Yaris is globally acknowledged to have a comfortable ride, and certainly not a harsh ride.

If you find the CT to be a smooth ride and not harsh, either your suspension is broken or you’ve got an incredibly meaty backside. 

• Thanks 1

Are you sure you own a CT and a Yaris?

The CT is globally acknowledged to have a harsh ride, and a Yaris is globally acknowledged to have a comfortable ride, and certainly not a harsh ride.

If you find the CT to be a smooth ride and not harsh, either your suspension is broken or you’ve got an incredibly meaty backside. 

Pretty sure, but hey you clearly know more than me about my own cars!

Perhaps your view is not the only one in world, you are of course welcome to your opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't find the CT that harsh, mines a 2017 as well. I hear it was worse in the original release modes up to the change in 2014.  It's relatively harsher than the Avensis I had (but it's smaller and 'sportier'). 

It's nowhere near as hard as a 2017 DS3 Prestige I owned also with 17" low profile tyres from factory. That thing on a rough surface road would shake your fillings out! 

I reckon it's the perfect compromise from being too rolly and soft like the Avensis was, versus being overly sporty with zero comfort like the DS3 was. 

Have it checked out, in case there is something wore out in yours or broken that might be making it excessively harsh? That's a possibility 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My old Avensis was a very smooth and quiet ride. Though it is written off now, not my fault. But for the record it can take a hit even though it was knocked by almost 180 degrees - definitely a safe car.

Though my Yaris is a little louder car, but not harsh but more fun. This may sound a little stupid but I do like how things look in Yaris rear mirror.

• Like 1

It's ok but I wouldn't mind a softer ride, the main problem I have is the ridicules amount of high, speed bumps on the outskirts of Birmingham. They need to be tackled with caution even on 17" rims if you have the Lexus Catloc fitted.

IMG-20201106-WA0001.jpg

On 3/20/2024 at 9:21 AM, angel ct said:

My old Avensis was a very smooth and quiet ride. Though it is written off now, not my fault. But for the record it can take a hit even though it was knocked by almost 180 degrees - definitely a safe car.

Though my Yaris is a little louder car, but not harsh but more fun. This may sound a little stupid but I do like how things look in Yaris rear mirror.

Which Avensis did you have? I had an August 2018, one of the last. Definitely a sturdy built, safe car! 

On 2/29/2024 at 5:28 PM, Moleman said:

I agree with you 100% and not the OP, 5 weeks ago I traded in my 2015 39Kmls 1.3ltr Yaris Icon for a 2018 Lexus CT. in my opinion these two cars at at opposite ends of the spectrum, the Yaris was a good clean little Car in fantastic condition but it was like driving around with a pail of loose nuts and bolts lying on the floor it was full of rattles and the music system had to be on low as it caused a lot of vibration to the dash when  the low bass notes were played. Doing 70mph in this in 6th gear it would feel like is was in 4th with the revs being well above 3K, often I would inadvertently try and shift this into 5th when it was already in 6th. I'm sure I suffer from PTSD after owning this car, even my friends are telling me I am looking a lot better since getting rid of it?

Now the Lexus is a very luxurious car in comparison, very comfortable and quiet, to me it feels like a much larger car than the small hatch that it is, turning up the music to an uncomfortable listening level and there is no adverse vibration with the car. doing 70mph once up to speed the revs drop from 3K to just above 2K unless you hit an incline which then raises it a little. If I was to say anything bad about this that would be that it is a little stiff (good on the corners) and not absorbing going over speed bumps and potholes but not really uncomfortable and not what I would term as being harsh? overall I would suggest this has a very well built interior and not as described by the OP?

Having owned a few sturdy well built cars, Volvo 240, 740 and 940 plus an EX Honda Accord I would say this Lexus compares to any of them as far as build quality is concerned and I am very pleased to have it.

• Like 2

I had a 2006 Prius before my 2017 CT.

The Prius had a much smoother ride and was more economical. The Satnav had barely changed, apart from being DVD based in the Prius to a hard drive that only Lexus can update, for a large fee. I did get a much cheaper update on a USB stick eventually. The biggest irritation with the SatNav (I have the rotating knob control) is that you rotate clockwise to zoom OUT and anti-clockwise to zoom IN on the map. It is so unintuitive. Add to that it still can't find an address from the full postcode and it's difficult to see how Toyota improved it in 11 years.

And don't get me started on the stupid heated seat controls!

Nice looking car, but no wonder they discontinued it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links