Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RCF CANBUS theft possible?

Slightly off topic and on the subject of the smart key and using a Faraday pouch, does anyone know if by putting the key into Battery saving mode, this has the same effect and stops it being cloned?

I have tested Battery saving mode and the car cannot see the key for keyless entry so perhaps it does. Battery saving mode might therefore negate the need for a pouch? Although you'll still need one for the key card unless you don't use this and remove the Battery.

32 minutes ago, MNMJ said:

I didn't know about this. If it works, its an easy alternative to a Faraday pouch. I hope someone out there has the answer.

Last year when I took my F in for the recall work I was given an RX as a courtesy car and the dealership had indeed deactivated the keyless entry facility via the fob due to having had one of their RX' stolen whilst a member of staff had it for a weekend.

So maybe it's something all lexus vehicles have the ability to do.

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2024 at 10:00 AM, Slippydiff said:

Slightly off topic and on the subject of the smart key and using a faraday pouch, does anyone know if by putting the key into battery saving mode, this has the same effect and stops it being cloned?

I have tested battery saving mode and the car cannot see the key for keyless entry so perhaps it does. Battery saving mode might therefore negate the need for a pouch? Although you'll still need one for the key card unless you don't use this and remove the battery.

Yes, it will stop a relay attack against a key. If you don't want keyless entry then it is better to just disable the feature in the car, that way you don't have to remember to put the key fob into Battery save mode every time - you just need to remember to hold your key against the start button to disengage the immobiliser before you start the engine.

There are potentially new attacks against remote locking systems with rolling codes that don't rely on relaying the signal from a key - if this becomes a reality for Toyota/Lexus vehicles then disabling smart unlocking, Battery saving functional or Faraday pouches won't do anything.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links